Director

So what's a good brand of Washing Machine these days

Hmm,

That makes sense, just asked a mate who does sort of all sorts electrical repairs. He said it's rather well known in the industry and that most European brands have internal protection F&P don't.

No biggee so long as you put them on a protector I suppose.

Explains why I've never had it though, when my Asea finally died after some 20 years of purest old age I bought a Bosch, touch wood never had a single problem.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip, I'll chase one up at dicky Smiths. Apparently their power boards are 40% off ATM.

Edited by Director

Thanks for the tip, I'll chase one up at dicky Smiths.

Just be aware cheap domestic surge protectors are only good for a year or so, even if the indicator says they are still fine.

They also won't protect against a large surge no matter what the manufacturers claim.

So always safer to turn off at the power point, and prefferably unplug.

Hoover are also worth looking at. I have a Hoover (Electra 540) front loader which I bought 2nd hand 22 years ago and it still will not die. Had to replace the cold water valve 6years ago and that's the only thing that has gone wrong with it.

There was a time when I would have said Hoover as well, about the age of your machine Pcf ;)

In those days I worked in a store that sold electrical everything and Hoover was our number two selling product in washers. Asea was our number one, but that had more to do with us pushing them so hard because they really did/do make fabulous product. Hoover in those days well, there's a reason its the generic term for a vacuum cleaner and the same product reputation applied to their washers.

Nowadays I don't hear much good about them, can only assume production has gone overseas.

I don't actually know where F&P are made now but they of course started in NZ. To have a successful manufacturing industry in such a small country you had better be good because export will be your income. I've a lot of time for NZ engineers.

To drift slightly off topic I used to sell Linn Sondek turntables in the vinyl era, fabulous table, but one extraordinarily cheap motor that Linn oem'd from somewhere purely because they were quiet. We had a number fail and got fed up with Linn charging an exorbitant amount for their badged piece of el cheapo. Then we hired a Kiwi engineer. First time he had one come in failed he shocked hell out of me by opening up this piece of crap motor and rewinding it plus sorting out some other shitty bits of it and putting it back together.

From then on we never sold a Linn without he cracked the motor and upgraded them. Technically it voided the warranty but actually even the local Linn importer bought motors from us and it allowed us to sell a lot of Linns (relatively, bloody expensive table) at RRP once word got around in that esoteric little clique of audiophiles.

I asked the Kiwi engineer once why he didn't just bin the motor and he said in NZ they fix most everything that can be fixed and if they build something they build it to last. Be nice if more of the world had that attitude. :)

Cheers

I asked the Kiwi engineer once why he didn't just bin the motor and he said in NZ they fix most everything that can be fixed and if they build something they build it to last. Be nice if more of the world had that attitude. :)

That's about right, NZ is about as geographically isolated as you can get so it's usually a better idea to fix something if possible rather than incur the cost and time of shipping.

F&P are no longer manufactured in NZ, is now done in Asia.

Edited by SledgY

"Wshing Machine" says the title. I knew enen before opening this thread the first time that the missing vowel was an "a", but every time I read it it says "wishing".

Man... Keep your crazy ol' djinn bottle - I'll take a wishing machine!

My folks have a maytag, thing is a tank, had to replace a belt but it just keeps going and is easy as to repair too. From what I read all the new washing machines with the PCBs in them can fry or have a short life

My mother as a professional cleaner, wont let me own a front load :P

Same literage washer in both front and top, she swears the font load wont do nearly as good a job.

I agree after having 2 mates work at a meat factory. Font loader dudes clothes always smelt like rotten meat. Top loader dude didn't.

Coulda been powder type or something else; but the front load was both very expensive and flashy, and IMO very poor.

Anyway when it comes to Whitegoods, I have it on several good authorities ANYTHING thatb 'Kleenmaid' rebrands as their stuff (there are a few brands) is top quality. Because their name is so perfect, the pick and choose only the best model from a brand to re-badge.

:)

We used to sell Maytag, very rarely because the price is a major sticker shock but never heard a bad thing about them. Machine of choice for launderettes of course.

Interesting what you say about front load Scythe, not been my experience at all. I've never noticed a vast difference but front load does seem gentler on the clothes, you do however have to be choosy about what detergent you use.

My mother went back to a top load for one reason - at nearly 82 years old she can't bend down that far any more ;)

Cheers

LG topload here, the one with jets rather than agitator.

Approaching 13 years, still going well.

The advice I heard re F&P is the washers are OK but fridges are crap.

Timely thread has piqued my interest.

Looking at replacing our Samsung top loader with a Bosch front loader in the next couple of weeks, haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

For people who dont work with rotten meat, front is probably fine.

My mother uses washers for a living, so i'm sure she's picky.

Though she made one VERY good point. If you own a front loader, and you find that one pair of underwear you missed\dropped on your way to the machine, you're boned. unless you're the flash, that doors not opening.

I wonder what the 20+yr lifespan is of a frontload too.... do those seals wear out?

I wonder what the 20+yr lifespan is of a frontload too.... do those seals wear out?

Well going on a friends experience yes they do, and quite regularly. Then again bowl seals in a top loader can go to, although they do seem to have a longer life.

haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

Neither have I. It inspired me to buy a Bosch refrigerator.

My Bosch washing machine is about 5yo now and still cleaning stuff like a boss. By no means old, but I often wash saddle blankets, horse rugs and dog beds in it (think extremely hairy, dirty, stinky and bulky) along with all the usual stuff (separate loads of course). It's brilliant. When we got it we modded the laundry and placed the washing machine on a custom-built drawer, so it doesn't sit so low - plus handy storage beneath it.

Edited by pookiepony

When we got it we modded the laundry and placed the washing machine on a custom-built drawer, so it doesn't sit so low - plus handy storage beneath it.

please, do go on.

We now have a Bosh front loader, works fine, bit fussy on starting if the door is not very firmly closed, but beats a flood.

Dunno with door seals, the Asea they never wore out, the motor eventually died but it survived the washing for two adults and two kids from birth to mid-teens.

F&P fridges I do agree, had one, needed one hell of a clean out of the freezer drain not infrequently until I made up a decent filter at the inlet.

Cheers

When we got it we modded the laundry and placed the washing machine on a custom-built drawer, so it doesn't sit so low - plus handy storage beneath it.

Ye definitely need to get front loaders up to at least waist height on a bench or cabinet of some sort.

please, do go on.

Just need any sort of shelf or bench that is strong enough to hold a loaded machine and won't move around from vibration.

A very good idea.

Having just sold the house and not about to buy another for a couple of years I think I will think about building a plinth like that, sounds like a good place to store towels.

Cheers

Posted Image

Behold, my laundry. Back when the washing machine was new.

We've since replaced the dicky wood shelf in the background with white corner shelving which is partly hidden by the dryer. I've hulk-smashed the dryer and a new (Bosch) dryer is on the long list of things to buy. The weather here means it doesn't get much use.

I store a lot of random stuff in the drawer - it is handily opened by foot so no bending down to throw things in there. The door of the washing machine is about waist height so it's quite workable.