Sign in to follow this  
PointZeroOne

Bought a ps3, tell me what games to get

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

Red Dead Redemption if you don't mind playing third person games with retarded thumbsticks. I hate them, but it doesn't stop it being a brilliant game.

Gran Turismo 5, and a wheel. Logitech Driving Force GT is sub-$100 now and it's perfectly decent.

Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection, from the PS Store. The best technical representation of Tekken ever, there's newer ones but they don't reach the high that 5DR did

Wipeout Hd and the Fury pack. Holy shit I can't believe it took me five goes to get to this one, go to the PS store, throw money at the screen. Do this now.

The new NBA Jam is a good representation of the series, though I believe NBA Jam TE for SNES to be the peak

Little Big Planet is pretty decent, not really my cup of tea but again, doesn't stop it being technically an excellent game if you do dig it

Guitar Hero Warriors Of Rock has both Pantera and Nine Inch Nails on it, doesn't get any better than that

That should get you started.

thanks Tak.

I've got SSFIVAE on the PC. (and an arcade controller setup for it)

I've got wipeout and Little Big Planet on the Vita.

I've got a version of Tekken on the Wii U.

Not a fan of NBA.

Totally forgot about Red Dead, it's a game I've been wanting to play.

Grabbed the GT6 demo this morning, was thinking I should get GT5, wasn't sure on what wheel though.

Edited by PointZeroOne

There are better wheels, but in the real world where people play games and don't have three screen stereoscopic racing rigs with $1000 racing seats and TrackIR headsets, the Driving Force GT is a bargain that just can't be beat. It does everything it needs to and tbh a lot of the features on more expensive wheels are superfluous shit that doesn't matter. The GT is great. Do not pay more than $100.

Infamous

God of War 3

Ni No Kuni

Any of the ratchet and clank games (first three that came out on ps3 are the best. Newer ones not so much)

If you like the idea of HD remakes they are great value. Usually 2 or three games for about 50 bux

I have:

Ratchet and clank trilogy

Ico and shadow of the colossus

Jak and daxter trilogy

Devil may cry trilogy

Good of War one and two

Also check out the psn store for any old ps1 games you may have played years ago eg:

Spyro

Crash bandicoot

Tomba

The Last of Us is a PS3 Exclusive.

So is MGS:4, but only play MGS:4 if you've played at least one of the previous ones and enjoyed it. Personally I really enjoyed playing it.

Infamous 1 and 2

Red Dead Redemption

Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls if you haven't played it)

If you're planning on grabbing a wheel to play some racing games and want to use a clutch and H-Shifter, I'd just fork out for the G27, its fairly cheap these days. If you're happy to go with a shit shifter and no clutch, then the driving force GT is okay, especially for the price.

Edited by NukeJockey

All of these suggestions are based on genre preference, etc... but my list would be:

Dark Souls - IMO totally unmatched action-RPG combat. Best in class no contest.

The Last of Us - really awesome TPS / survival combat. Excellent production values, among the top rated games of the gen on any platform.

Uncharted 2 - Pinacle of the series for me. #3 is good as well but I think #2 is the one to pick, unless you'd pick up the whole trilogy.

Journey - I can't even describe why I like this game, which is one of the reasons I like it. I played it start to finish in about 4 hours and was thoroughly transfixed the entire time, and absolutely loved it.

Ni No Kuni - Visually really nice (Studio Ghibli doing their thing), fairly childish which I didn't mind, but might not be for everyone. It's also very grindy in the mid game but again I didn't mind. Liked it a lot overall.

Pixeljunk Shooter (and part 2) - this is a 2D shooter with excellent puzzle mechanics, and just all round fantastic game design and absolutely highly recommended.

Resistance: FOM - this is a kinda funny addition to the list, but what I love about FOM is that it's so exceedingly SIMPLE, that I just find it really enjoyable. The graphics look dated as hell, and there's really nothing outstanding to say about it, it just kinda harkens back to simpler times, where linear FPS titles could just give you loads of strange weapons and have you blast everything to hell.

Edited by xfu

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Really helps we wade through everything that's been released.

nba 2k13 lasted a good 4 to 5 weeks of solid play for me.

All the little big planets are freaking fun :D Karting is sorta very short and does not take to long

I'd grab a PSN Plus subscription too, $20 for 3 months, quite a few free games to download on there atm, including the HD remakes of ICO and Shadow of Colossus as well as Little Big Karting and Catherine. There are also a few free Vita games on there as well.

I'd grab a PSN Plus subscription too, $20 for 3 months, quite a few free games to download on there atm, including the HD remakes of ICO and Shadow of Colossus as well as Little Big Karting and Catherine. There are also a few free Vita games on there as well.

Yeah I've had the PSN+ for a couple of weeks now, grabbed a few things for that already. (greatly value even just for the Vita, but even better now that I've got a ps3)

I prefer most games like red dead on 360 (if you have one) as it's exactly the same with a better controller. There are some games which suite the ps3 controllers better like fighting games, racing games and ps3 exclusives, because you have no choice. This is largely personal preference, but since most games are just ported to both consoles almost identically, i get them on 360 because I just prefer it.

My PS3 was largely unused compared to my 360 but I did get a few games for it.

- God of War 3

- MGS 4

- Gran Turismo 5

- Dragon's Dogma

I prefer most games like red dead on 360 (if you have one) as it's exactly the same with a better controller. There are some games which suite the ps3 controllers better like fighting games, racing games and ps3 exclusives, because you have no choice. This is largely personal preference, but since most games are just ported to both consoles almost identically, i get them on 360 because I just prefer it.

My PS3 was largely unused compared to my 360 but I did get a few games for it.

- God of War 3

- MGS 4

- Gran Turismo 5

- Dragon's Dogma

I was the same, got most multiplatforms on 360, if you take a look at the eurogamer digital foundry, you'll find that most multiplats (like RDR and AC3) ran a few frames better than the PS3 and RDR also ran at a higher resolution.