and? useful? good? wish you had money back? does it help pick up chicks?

I'm having a play with it before I give my opinion of it. I'm still in the honeymoon phase of having a new piece of tech.

So far, it's useful as a remote control for my phone and 2nd screen.

I don't need to pick up chicks.

Ok so I've had it now since Wednesday last week.

Using it hasn't lost any shine yet.

Really like the notification/remote app control functionality it brings to my phone.

I've had to buy myself a bluetooth headset (sony sbh20) so I can actually use the answer phone feature, hardly have to get my phone out of my pocket/bag now.

It really needs more apps/functionality though, it is rather lacking, this is on part of Sony releasing it with cut down features with what they announced it with, due to bugs and not many devs around for the devices.

The gmail app could do with being able to mark as read and archive.

Charged the watch fully last Thursday, it has now just reached 14% and has been vibrating every 30min telling me to charge it.

This is with everyday use.

Not a bad battery life.

Was shopping for a super-cheap Casio for daily use (and maybe another one for sweaty-workout use, damn they're cheap!) when I stumbled across this bad boy:

Casio GB6900AA-1 , and looking around a bit more, the 2nd generation device: Casio GBX6900B-2

And the product promo website: http://world.g-shock.com/us/en/ble/

The first gen was cool, but the second gen basically offers everything I could personally ask for from a smartwatch: music control, notifications of all kinds, changing watch settings from the phone app (rather than using unintuitive button combinations on the device) and the phone locator function that ended up being so handy, The Verge's reviewer ended up using it all the time instead of just remembering where his phone was.

But in case that wasn't good enough, the thing is still a CASIO G-Shock watch (i.e. tough as nails), will tell the time whether or not a phone is nearby (although it'll update itself if it is paired with a phone), and has a two year battery life. Two years!. All for the sum of $215 from Amazon (pretty reasonable IMHO).

Now, I'm more interested in personally buying a dumb watch at this point, but for those of you who do have a use for smartwatches: thoughts? Why the hell aren't these killer devices given a bit more coverage?!

Edited by thesorehead

Have a nano watch band and it's great, espically for walking and fitness, it's so convenient to wear and listen to tunes, get long headphone cord, just for those nickel allergy sufferers, my sister got me a wood watch, they are lovely to wear, check them out on the web, super light too, turns heads too.

Pump

Just like to ask the guys with their Galaxy Gears.

Still using them or has the shine been lost and they have been shoved in a draw ?

I am still looking for a Galaxy Gear as I enjoy wearing watches with tech.

+1

Can't believe they're still not releasing much of anything concrete on it.

Agreed, it looks really impressive. Perhaps they have supply issues with the circular display?

I don't think the display would be the bottleneck. If the rumours of a week long battery life are true, they're probably using cutting edge Amprius cells, which would be in limited supply.

If it were a supply chain issue, TBH, I would expect they'd have a few test units out for proper review and release concrete details, rather than staying super mysterious. I mean, I doubt they're going to have Samsung or LG suddenly come along and buy up non-existent capacity.

Pretty sure I read a late summer release, which means they only have around a month left if they want to keep that deadline.