ROUBOS

Advice on Case and CPU Cooler please...

Hi all,

I currently have these components (see my signature), and would like to get a new case cause I wanted to change the stoc cpu cooler and the new one would not fit in my Cooler Master K380 midi case.

I was thinking of getting the CoolerMaster Hyper 412 Slim cpu cooler, and the CoolerMaster HAF XB Black RC-902XB-KWN1.

Now this cube shape case has an optional 200mm case on top which I would like to install. The problem is that the CPU Cooler has 160mm height, and the fan on top of the case has a height of 30mm. All up 190mm.

The case specs, mention that it can take up to 180mm CPU cooler but is this with or without the top fan?

If I install the fan will it fit?

Should I look at getting a smaller cpu cooler? Maybe hydro one?

Cheap Hydro ones are not much better than the CoolerMaster Hyper 412 Slim, and I want to avoid the risk of something going wrong and water pooring inside my PC.

What are your thoughts?

Can you suggest a good CPU Cooler that would fit the CoolerMaster HAF XB case with the 200mm top fan installed?

Shoudl I be looking at water cooling instead?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

EDIT>>

Need slim fans on the cooler since I have Corsair Vengeance RAM dims with high coolers on them.

And I think I should be looking into push & pull fans on the CPU cooler.

Edited by ROUBOS

It wouldn't fit unless you got slim 200mm fans. Then you'd only have saved maybe 5 to 10mm and still not have enough. That case can fit water cooling kits. Do a google image search: Cooler Master HAF XB In two of the images, one has a dual 120mm mounted on the front and another has a single 120mm at the back.

I've had a Corsair H50 for years. It's been used in two cases and cooled two different Intel socket CPUs and I've not had a leak or performance issue.

Edited by Genders

what about stuff like CoolerMaster GeminII S524 . height is 105mm and can take a few fan sizes. and can point directly at the top hole if you want to push air away from the board (paper work says it's a push through to the board)

I have 2 GPUs with Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid LCS Cooler.

one in a 24/7 machine the other in my game rig. going strong.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=20721

the web site pictures are sneaky, they seem to show a CoolerMaster V4 GTS (or a V6), the V4 is 147mm because of a special squat design. the V6 is 165.

it then shows a CoolerMaster TPC 812 at 163mm at right angles to it's stated "High Airflow" direction.

It does seem that many do make a cooler at sub 170mm, where RAM clearance is an issue with 120mm fans depending on population of sockets and distance from CPU to RAM.

Given that the top fan sit's in at special area in the case, it's unclear if that 180mm include the extra space for the top fan or not.

My guess is that 180 doe not include it, but, i'd pop down the local shop with a ruler and eyeball it to be sure.

yes it's not clear if this case does fit a 160mm tall cpu cooler with the fan.

Water cooling is not always quieter than normal heatsinks since they too have fans, and sometimes two for use as push and pull. That said push and pull on water cooling does take up space and there seems to also be an issue with high ram on some water cooling pipes.

What do you think of the case? Looks different and it would look nice on the desk. I always had full towers sitting on my desk but I'm over them now, and would prefer a good mid case.

EDIT>> the CoolerMaster Hyper 412 Slim has 160mm height.

If I get a 20mm height slim 200mm fan for the top of the case will give me the total of 180mm. The case mentions up to 180mm cpu cooler. Will that give me a few mm to play with? Not sure...

Edited by ROUBOS

According to the manual the 180mm is full height. So even a slim 200mm x 20mm fan will not work.

I could just get the case and not install a 200mm top fan. The heat should be able to escape from the top since there is no glass window.

Very hard to find a CPU cooler that is both less than 160mm and that fits the high profile RAM :(

Really interested in the CoolerMaster V4 GTS. This should fit just fine even with the 200mmx20mm top fan.

And it seems that my high profile RAM will fit.

The problem is finding a store that has it (Europe)

I guess I could but it'll be a waste of money getting new RAM and having the old ones sit around.

I cannot believe the CoolerMaster V4 GTS is not selling in europe.

If I do keep my RAM then my only choice would be water cooling :(

Not getting high profile RAM ever again

EDIT>> Might as well go for the H80i which is available at stores here. I hope this does not leak and cook my system

Edited by ROUBOS

Could you swap your ram to this: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile

I've got this ram. The bigger heat sinks really do bugger all cooling.

as long as there is SOME type of heat spreader. I found in hot QLD summers, that a heatspreader was the difference between memtest errors and not. I guess I had a sensative chip somewhere.

It didnt need active cooling, just some way to drop a degree or 2.

looks like I'm going for the Corsair H80i cpu cooler.

Getting the CM HAF XB. Cannot wait

hafx has great airflow and is really well suited to a hsf

if your going water you dont need a case with good airflow they just get dusty

for water i would go with a 2x120 setup from swiftech

if you want the hafx i would go with a hsf like the noctua d 14 or on of the other good 140mm hsf they will keep it quieter while remaining just as cool under heavy loads

but if you have already ordered im sure you will be happy with it just the same provided your not looking for silence :)

its the HAF XB not the HAF X.

and the problem is my ram. I cannot use the D14. I have the full height corsair Corsair Vengeance.

I was worried about water cooling, but since I really like that case and my RAM is a problem with all the air coolers, I'm going for the H80i water cooler.

I've been told that there are no problems with them, and that there is a 5 year warranty for everything in case of leaks.

I've always used stock coolers and had them for years.

Currently I do have good airflow and the fx 8350 and its stock fan the temps are OK. But it is loud.

Not getting high profile ram again

Looking to see if the NH-U14S fits on my mobo and ram. Especially the RAM which are the tall Corsair Vengeance...

anyone seen any?

heat spreaders fell off my corsair vengeance but then i remember someone else tried to remove theres and a memory chip went with them

a friend has the corsair h80 although not as good as the h80i and he removed it and went back to stock cooling as it was too loud

i know plenty of others that are happy enough with it though

yes you see the cost of the h80i and the NH-U14S with the second fan is about the same.

The thing is that the NH-U14S is quieter than the h80i. I mean its not as if the performance difference is so great to justify the noise level, or the risk of something going wrong.

I want to get teh CM HAF XB which is a cube desktop case, but with the air coolers there is no room for the top fan. The top fan would be nice to be used as an exhaust of heat. But I could preperly live without it.

if I install the air cooler push pull facing upwards? to avoid hitting my vangeance ram? is that ok? will it work in terms of air flow?

Edited by ROUBOS

I could get the h100i but doing some google searches for problems and issues, there are just too many complaints. Is it worth it to go water cooling over air???

the relative performance of Fans has cause me to research way to much.

different designs make different noise and push different amounts of air at different pressure.

look at the box/spec and see what the max CFM*, dB are. this will give you an idea of relative abilities.

these abilities can be moderated with fan controlers and resisters. Resisters do come with some CPU fans to provide a quite profile by dropping RPM by 30% across the range. and thus the noise.

size of fan effects the RPM needed to push the air at a reasonable CFM. my case has a CM sicle that runs up to 1800 and can push 90+cfm. meanwhile the 23cm top fan at 700rpm is doing about the same. the front 120mm gets noisy and collects dust (making it noisier) much faster then the top fan.

CFM = Cubic Feet Per Minute. can also be in Cubic meters per (unit). compare same with same.

the noctua 14 is rated at 1500rpm and 24.6dB, the H100 fan is rated at 1650rpm and 30db. but, this speed is effected by how hot the CPU is and how effective the radiator or heat pipes are at drawing heat from the CPU.

so which best suits your cooling needs, and how much noise you really care to produce.

and, which looks coolest or has the best bragging rights?

I wanted a SpinQ, but went with the 900 MAx, because I was noob and could not confirm if the SpinQ would fit AM3. both were chosen on looks not performance.

Hi,

after some research and forum reading for pros and cons of both air cooling vs water cooling (within my budget ofcourse), I ended up going for air cooling.

I got the CM HAF XB with extra 2 CoolerMaster 80mm BC Red Case Fans. (for the bottom half)

The extra fans for the bottom might not be needed since I have SSDs, but I guess that as an exhaust under the motherboard it might do some good.

Now for a CPU Cooler I ended up getting the Noctua NH-U12S with an extra NF-F12 PWM fan for push/pull. This fan will be quiet and it will clear my tall Corsair Vengeance.

My final decision is based on me feeling a lot more comfortable and worry free.

Maybe I'm over exaggerating regarding the trust on the h80i and h100i, but I feel that I don't need to worry about things that might go wrong.

I've sent an ASUS motherboard for RMA and its been two weeks now and the motherboard has not come back yet. Don't want to have to go through this again.

I know the h80i and the h100i would have given me better temps but I don't think its that much of a big deal. I don't overclock so a few degrees more or less will not make too much of a difference. The HAF XB itself will give me great air flow and good temps.

Not going to go through Prime95, or post overclocking numbers on forums etc, and so I don't want to have to worry about firmware or Corsair Link etc.

If it wasn't for the noise the stock fan makes on the 8350 I wouldn't even bother to be honest. So now a quiet CPU Cooler that just works and performs way better than the stock cooler is more than enough.

All up it cost me 230€. (Not a bad birthday present to myself)

I could have gone for the H100i with this ammount of money, but then again it would have cost me a lot more to get 4 Noctua fans for the radiator.

And since there are plenty of things that could go wrong, I decided not to worry too much about water cooling.

Thanks again to all that took their time to reply.

Edited by ROUBOS

You know, call me strange. But:

Posted Image

That to me, just asks for a visit from my Dremel. I know my southbridge asked for the same visit when I got a long GPU >:D

well you're right. I did get them beofre doing any research on how it could effect other components. Especially the cpu cooler. They looked nice, they had nice timings 8-8-8-24, so I got them. Never getting high ram like those ever again.

I didn't want to remove the heat sink risking damaging them. I could have gone for a water cooler but my gut feeling wouldn't let me.

So ended up with an air cooler that has high ram clearance.

Quick question: don't air coolers help in the overall airflow in the case more than water coolers?

water coolers draw from the case and push right out, finned blocks push air at a "case fan" but also just intot he case area.

for my last build I pointed the CPU cooling fan at a hole in the case where a fan used to be. the 1 out fan at the top and 2 in at the front (120 & 140) meant air would flow. the GPU had 3 fans which just swirled up the case anyway.

with a HAF, this is why there are 140 - 200 mm fans on the case to just move the air out.

with DDR, youcan use the other channel pairing on the ram. so not the 1st and 3rd, but 2nd and 4th to still get the dual channel but hav alittl emore room to the CPU cooler. your Mobo Manual will advise what the paired slots are.

Yes I know about the paired slots. Just that I bought 4x4gb to make up 16gb of ram. I could have bought 2x8gb but I didn't at the time so did not feel like spending more money again now.

The thing is that motherboards and heatsinks and ram should have evolved to eliminate such issues.

with you on the ram. I used to have 4 x 2.

one of the last builds I did would have required a pulling fan to clear a populated slot 1. and it was not a big cooler, just a 212 evo.

I'm waiting for some one to point the mobo power sideways like the sata.

in the last build soem bright spark put the SD audio port inline with PCIE slot 1.

Luckily the other PCIE slot ran at x16 but really, wtf?

I know. Unreal what they do.

If I make a new build for myself or a friend, I'll have to look closely at every small detail on the mobo, heatsinks, etc etc

I ordered the HAF XB now, and the heatsink of any aircooler that is descent enough and has high RAM clearance, will not allow for a top 200mm exchaust fan to be mounted.

Even a water cooler like the H80i with a push pull configuration will not allow it.

My only other option was to go for a H100i, but in order to avoid the loud fans for push/pull and get 4 Noctua fans, I would have had to pay a fortune.

unreal.

EDIT: I could mount the 200mm fan outside of the case, instead of inside as per normal. It will make my case look like a helicopter.

The case can fit a cpu cooler upto 180mm height. But mine is now going tobe 158mm, and I still cannot mount the 200mm fan. I could have gone for a lower profile cpu cooler but I could not use 2 fans push/pull on it.

Edited by ROUBOS

why the push pull on the h100?

I would have gone with 2 fans and may have changed them to high static pressure if I was feeling spendy.

Maltorn (who visits here occationaly) has pull on his h100, I think he changed to high static pressure over the stock ones and he's Overclocked to 4.5GHz on his 3570K.

noisest thing in the case is the dual GTX680 SOCs,