Sign in to follow this  
scarfy

What are your unusual talents?

After years of knowing her, I learned that a close friend is a proficient unicycler.

As a child, she unicycled everywhere she went. She stopped around the time she gained self-awareness, but today she still owns a unicycle and can ride it to a very high standard.

This got me thinking. What secret talents do you have?

Are you are a virtuoso piano player?

A pro-skateboarder?

Are you ace at telling horror stories?

Do you have encyclopaedic knowledge about an unusual topic?

Let's hear 'em :)

Mine are:

- I am an excellent dish-washer. Very fast, excellent at staking & I never leave a mark.

- I am very good at picking people's ages.

Scarfy

Edited by scarfy

Seems the only people that would have unusual talents are those that try and hide them away. For the things I'm talented at, I seek out other individuals talented in the same thing and associate with them. They are also the things I like to do ( I can't think of something I'm talented at that I don't enjoy ). Being around other people who are talent, or just plain good at, the things I am makes me think they're not unusual.

Also, just to be clear, talents are gifts we were born with - natural abilities, as opposed to skills that are honed over time. With that in mind, I can't think of any unusual talents I have. Or any talents I have. at all.

I can't think of any unusual talents I have. Or any talents I have. at all.

What about that 'washing clothes on your abs' thing?

That's a rare talent, I couldn't do that, well not anymore.....

:)

Horizontal or vertical Twinny ? :)

Can't answer this question really, all skills acquired, silly fast reflexes but dunno if that counts.

Cheers

Im pretty good with maps. I stare at maps and mapping systems all day at work, so I know every suburb in Sydney and its just something I am very good at now thanks to work lol.

I've got a great memory for strings of numbers. I know my driver's license number, my tax file number, my HBF member number, my phone number from when I was a kid, all my mates numbers from when we were kids, the combination on the briefcase Mum had when she ran her restaurant (I was seven years old), all sorts of shit.

I suck at mental arithmetic though, so don't ask me to add them up.

Seems the only people that would have unusual talents are those that try and hide them away. For the things I'm talented at, I seek out other individuals talented in the same thing and associate with them. They are also the things I like to do ( I can't think of something I'm talented at that I don't enjoy ). Being around other people who are talent, or just plain good at, the things I am makes me think they're not unusual.

Also, just to be clear, talents are gifts we were born with - natural abilities, as opposed to skills that are honed over time. With that in mind, I can't think of any unusual talents I have. Or any talents I have. at all.

That makes sense. So unusual "skills" then. :)

As for keeping it secret, well, with dishwashing, it's something I believe I'm truly excellent at it - but I wouldn't bring that up at a dinner party.

I've got a great memory for strings of numbers. I know my driver's license number, my tax file number, my HBF member number, my phone number from when I was a kid, all my mates numbers from when we were kids, the combination on the briefcase Mum had when she ran her restaurant (I was seven years old), all sorts of shit.

I suck at mental arithmetic though, so don't ask me to add them up.

I've memorised my BSB and account numbers because I lose my bank card on such a regular basis and bank tellers are usually very impressed by that. Otherwise, I can remember a number seemingly randomly for years at a time but then one day - poof - it'll just vanish from my head.

Edited by scarfy

With the above in mind...not that I intentionally tried to hide it away, it's just that as I matured in age it seemed less appropriate to display.

I can speak like Daffy Duck.

I can not recall how I discovered this ability, nor exactly when, tbh I'd forgotten I could. Kikz is to blame for me remembering it.

I'm a decent writer, although I don't think that qualifies as unusual.

Only to people who read your articles.

wolololo

Also, just to be clear, talents are gifts we were born with - natural abilities, as opposed to skills that are honed over time.

I can fall asleep incredibly fast. Sometimes at the drop of a dime - usually within 5 mins though.

The doctors call that narcolepsy apparently but I like to think of it as a talent! If only I was a woman with a good body I'd kill it on the beauty pageant circuit with these kind of skillz!

It seems I have a talent for contradicting myself. Case in point my post, where, in the first paragraph I talked about the talents I have. In the second paragraph I then said I don't have any talents.

Not very unusual in my experience of people...

Also, I apparently have an incredible natural ability to talk n00bs through tech stuff. Even the dumbest technophobes - clients often give me praise for this. "Patience of a saint" "Ability to not make people feel stupid".

In relation to the narcolepsy, it's probably because I am too tired to really give a shit.

I can often guess how a coffee is going to taste just from listening to it being made. I doubt I was born with this ability :P

Making people laugh in bad situations. Funerals, major earthquakes, brinks of death.

I can hit any target with a blowgun. Long, short, as long as the pipe is above 3ft.

Even with my bad eyes I stand 10cm accurate at over 100m. (parents own acerage and a wooden fence, lol)

I also have this going on;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthymesia

Which is more fail than win IMO.

Feels like a day in my life has never passed. So things like breakups always remain fresh. ><

Edited by Master_Scythe

I can hit any target with a blowgun. Long, short, as long as the pipe is above 3ft.

Even with my bad eyes I stand 10cm accurate at over 100m. (parents own acerage and a wooden fence, lol)

I also have this going on;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthymesia

Which is more fail than win IMO.

Feels like a day in my life has never passed. So things like breakups always remain fresh. ><

heh, I have the exact opposite, so I just make shit up......

I wish I could forget.. i really do.

imagine every unfortunate thing thats ever happened to you, and make it feel like they all happened simultaneously, like 5 minutes ago.

Yeah you lean some wicked coping techniques, but it also makes you pretty numb to the world. *shrug*

Best get onto finding some nuggets of gold among the shit then.