Sign in to follow this  
ugotdan

Built my own TrackIR

Hi all, my first post on thus site :) so I thought I'd try to make it a good one.

You know the head tracking devices that let you look around in game without using your mouse? Well, I wanted one! So I looked around and found natural point trackIR 4-5 selling for around $200!!! Couldn't believe my eyes.

I kept searching and found an open source tracking program called free-track. The site explains how to build your own 6 degrees of flight (dof) device, how to modify your personal webcam to register your device's IR LEDs, and provides free software to control it all. With a bit of reading through the forums I came across a file for a 3d printed frame. I rang a mate and sent him the file to get one made and sent up to me. I also got one eBay and bought all the components. The total cost ended up around $26 (not including camera). So I built the head unit at work and took it home, tested and fiddled, then finished up with a fully functional, 6dof TrackIR for around 1/10 the cost of a bought one!!

I then told my mates and I've been building some for them as well with good results all round. Here's some pics :)

My first TrackIR headset

Posted Image

A floppy disc used to filter natural light

Posted Image

Some for my mates

Posted Image

The open source website is www.free-track.net/English

Hope I haven't broken any rules with this post (embedding), let me know and I'll link the pics instead.

Cheers :)

Nope, all good :)

we used to hate embedding, then we joined the rest of the internet :P

very nice, I'm impressed. I love the use of the Floppy as an IR filter.

Stick around! Always nice to see a new face, The Green Room can seem a bit harsh, but a lot of us have known each other for 10+ years, so take it with a grain of salt and have fun :)

Very nice mate. Welcome to the forums too. :)

Would love to see some video of it in action.

Oh, and how much for you to ship one to me? :D

Yes, I'm lazy. You build it for me. haha

Haha, I can make you one no probs :) but post is a killer :( i looked into auspost and they charge $8.25 for a satchel. I haven't looked at other freight companies though, as I've just posted to mates. I'm not sure if a home made device is really worth $33 lol.

Never posted vids before. I'll give it a go though :)

Thx master_scythe, Im sure to get familiar with the rest if the site in time.

Edited by ugotdan

Nice !!

Welcome aboard mate

I looked into this a lil while ago to enhance my sim racing expierence but it never amounted to anything.

It looks like you have a quality little unit there mate well done.

Im planing to build a 3dof motion platform for a racing sim in the near future and maby even an oculus rift down the track.

Anyhoo stick around mate and enjoy your stay

I'm gonna do something similar with a cheap battery powered Wii sensor bar.

I wonder how it would go compared to this 6 point deely.