ugotdan

So I picked up a hd7990.... Now what?!

I'm a person that loves using secondhand bits. Hate paying full price for anything and will regularly build my own stuff to get around it :) because of this, my nightly routine is to research a small article on my next project then have a quick browse through secondhand markets.

To get to the point, I came across this bad boy :D

Posted Image

Wow, too good to be true?? Only $400?! No risk, no reward eh?? I contacted the guy and payed with PayPal. (I have the buyer protection this way).

It has no box, no receipts, no warranty etc. o.O

This card is still in the mail (after two weeks regular post) and I can't wait to receive it lol.

So, a couple of questions come to mind, as I have a tri-fire 6970 water cooled setup at home;

Do I flip this card on eBay or something and use the funds to get upgrades later on?

Do I sell my water cooled hd6970s? If so, will the card be bottlenecked by the rest of my components?

- i5 2500k w/h100 stock clock

- Asrock z68 xrtreme4 gen3

- silverstone strider gold 1200w

- 16gb gskill ripjaws

- win7 on an ssd

- 3x 24" lcds in portrait

Or, could I use it as the master card in my trifire to get the benefits of the memory?

This is all just speculation really until I receive it in good condition.

Any ideas are welcome, thanks.

When it arrives, if it is all legit, I'd swap out the 6970s and put the 7990 in, maybe look at grabbing a full cover block for it and get it on water. As for bottlenecks, your parts are fine.

When it arrives, if it is all legit, I'd swap out the 6970s and put the 7990 in, maybe look at grabbing a full cover block for it and get it on water. As for bottlenecks, your parts are fine.

Solid. Will post how it turns out - hopefully no issues!!

Keep any other card that will fit for folding or extra processing power.

Well, this didnt turn out. No show on the goods, no replies to emails and I raised a claim through PayPal and got my money back. Oh well, worth a shot!

That's a shame. Would have been a real bargain at that price. At least you got your paypal funds back which is great news.

Seemed too good to be true. Good thing you paid via PayPal!

I don't know why a lot of ppl won't use PayPal, an extra 2-3% for insurance is awesome. Better than losing all $400! That woman who bought two apples and got two apples prob would have benefited from it lol. Edited by ugotdan

I was pretty suspicious when I read your first post, glad you got your money back. I agree and I will always try to use paypal when possible. It's a great service.

If I am ordering anything of value online, I always pay for registered/tracked post so that I have a tracking number and it's not just left somewhere. I've had things go missing before without one, from ebay etc. You get your money back, or another item, but then it's another few weeks waiting.

You can get 7970s new for about $350 these days, might be the way to go now? :)

I was pretty suspicious when I read your first post, glad you got your money back. I agree and I will always try to use paypal when possible. It's a great service.

If I am ordering anything of value online, I always pay for registered/tracked post so that I have a tracking number and it's not just left somewhere. I've had things go missing before without one, from ebay etc. You get your money back, or another item, but then it's another few weeks waiting.

I think I'm going to go with nVidia next actually (probably just before star citizen is released). I've never tried PhysX so I think I'll be waiting to buy dual GTX 690's for around $200 ea. My 6970's are cutting the mustard for now :)

I think I'm going to go with nVidia next actually (probably just before star citizen is released). I've never tried PhysX so I think I'll be waiting to buy dual GTX 690's for around $200 ea. My 6970's are cutting the mustard for now :)

I think you will be waiting a long time before they hit that price.