Sign in to follow this  
Achillesjg

4x4, or 2x8

Looking at a new z87 based Motherboard, along with a new CPU and some RAM.

Most boards seem to have 4 slots. I'm looking at getting 16gb of RAM, which is plenty for my needs, now and into the future. Is there a compelling reason to go for 4 x 4gb sticks, compared with 2 x 8gb? I appreciate 2x8 will be be more upgrade friendly, but I can't see myself using more than 16 anytime soon, and if there's a performance boost (or other good reason) to go with 4x4 I'll lean that way.

Appreciate any advice.

I would go with whatever is cheapest as long as the CPU cooler doesn't get in the way like it does with mine.

I would say get 2x8GB unless there is a significant price difference.

2 sticks is easier on the CPUs IMC and this will be relevant if you're overclocking at all.

p0is0n is on the money. Having all 4 ram slots taken can affect system stability when overclocking etc. due to the memory controller being on the chip rather than part of the boards chipset.

no performance boost from 4 sticks as such but some of the 8g 1600 sticks of ram are more likely to have slightly loser timings which could lower there performance bit depending on which sticks you get

i went with 2x8 for my 4770k for pretty much the reasons above. no issues. over clocking was easy with no dramas and the ram is running its xmp profile with a stable overclock (see sig)

edit: speeeeling

Edited by corky

If you go 2x8GB, try to buy the sticks individually so If you get a bad stick, you can RMA just the one stick. Sucks buying a kit and sending them all back under warranty and have no PC for weeks.

So, no performance boost from 4 sticks, solves that question.

That's good advice mudjimba, but I'll never be in a position where my system will be offline for any significant length of time. I have the all too rare understanding spouse that will let me loose to buy replacement parts asap. We actually keep a small slush fund handy for just such emergencies.

If you are not going to be overclocking, then 4x4 is perfectly fine (and generally much cheaper too!)

2x8 because of upgrade path mainly. Even though you say you don't see yourself using more, who knows what you'll be running/doing in 2 years time, and being able to easily throw in another 2x8 for cheap is a good plan.