Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

The line where two surfaces meet

In 4 days time, something will be released to do with ubuntu. All we know so far is the line "The line where two surfaces meet" and that canonical filed a patent for "ubuntu edge". There is also rumour of a deal with microsoft.

The current possibilities are:

Ubuntu touch watch

Official Ubuntu touch phone

Ubuntu touch for MS Surface

What's your guess?

As much as I hate the generalised term, have they removed the 'spyware' canonical has put in? AFAIK its just the Amazon Lense thing...

Though if Microsoft have ANYTYHING to do with them in the future, you can bet your sweet ass Project PRISM will kick in. *shudder* Keep my favorite free OS free (and not in the monetary sense).

The spyware thing was just a cookie that was part of the Amazon lens, i think it's disabled by default now.

And i microsoft does happen, no one will use ubuntu.

No it wasnt the cookie, it was the autosearch thing.

basically, if you started a FIND\search, it'd also search the amazon store. Thusly amazon got your query, and your IP, and the usual phishable information (OS, browser, location, etc).

realistically, next to PRISM its nothing, but still its more than the whole 'free' statement likes to endorse.

basically, if you started a FIND\search, it'd also search the amazon store. Thusly amazon got your query, and your IP, and the usual phishable information (OS, browser, location, etc).

realistically, next to PRISM its nothing, but still its more than the whole 'free' statement likes to endorse.

OK, i'd actually missed that whole "scandal"

OK, i'd actually missed that whole "scandal"

I believe it was only in 12.10 & 13.04 - I stayed with 12.04 - it's easily removed though.

sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping

also:

sudo apt-get remove unity-scope-video-remote
sudo apt-get remove unity-scope-musicstores

and:

In addition to the other answers, you can also redirect the queries to another location by changing the URL it uses for the product search:

sudo -s

echo 'OFFERS_URI="https://localhost:0/"' >> /etc/environment

src

Edited by p0is0n

So it turns out Canonical are using IndieGoGo to fund their Ubuntu Edge smartphone... and they're asking for $32mill. Here I was thinking that Canonical was an established company which can fund their own risks. For $800+, they could at least show a working prototype.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

I was just looking up Canonical on the US government's SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) site to see what their public financial records showed regarding how much of their assets are financed through outside lenders. They don't have any filings with the SEC under the name Canonical (or maybe they don't file with the SEC because they aren't a US-based company). Then I went over to the Ubuntu forums to see what they published there (they need some kind of reporting for their investors and stockholders don't they?), and I found this:

There has been a security breach on the Ubuntu Forums. The Canonical IS team is working hard as we speak to restore normal operations. This page will be updated with progress reports.

What we know

•Unfortunately the attackers have gotten every user's local username, password, and email address from the Ubuntu Forums database.

•The passwords are not stored in plain text, they are stored as salted hashes. However, if you were using the same password as your Ubuntu Forums one on another service (such as email), you are strongly encouraged to change the password on the other service ASAP.

•Ubuntu One, Launchpad and other Ubuntu/Canonical services are NOT affected by the breach.

Progress report

•2013-07-20 2011UTC: Reports of defacement

•2013-07-20 2015UTC: Site taken down, this splash page put in place while investigation continues.

•2013-07-21: we believe the root cause of the breach has been identified. We are currently reinstalling the forums software from scratch. No data (posts, private messages etc.) will be lost as part of this process.

•2013-07-22: work on reinstalling the forums continues.

If you're using Ubuntu and need technical support please see the following page for support:

•Finding Help.

If you're looking for a place to discuss Ubuntu, in the meantime we encourage you to check out these sites:

•The Ubuntu subreddit

•The Ubuntu Community on Google+

•Ubuntu Discourse

Geek.com news article on the attack on Ubuntu forums.

Anyways, I did find the Financial Return PDF link, but it costs two pounds to download it from any site that has it available. Duedil.com shows the basic information for free, and it looks about average for a US company (which is to say pretty bleak). LinuxAdvocates.com posted an article saying that Canonical Group LTD is on the brink of becoming financially insolvent (means that if the company does break up tomorrow, the lenders won't get their money back). That doesn't mean that Canonical is actually going bankrupt, but to find that out I would need to see their cash-to-cash cycle which is in the full report. Their cash on hand is currently about 7.6 million pounds and their current liabilities (bills due by the end of this fiscal year) total about 54 million pounds, so they are definitely struggling to make ends meet. They need to be able to earn their current total cash plus operating, selling, and administrative expenses several times per year just to cover their annual interest expenses and taxes. Basically there isn't a snowballs chance in hell they could afford to drop $32 million in cash on this new smartphone and still afford to pay their bills -- but not many corporations in the world could afford that kind of investment just from cash on hand.

Edited by wlayton27

This has got very interesting, very quickly.

Jono has posted the full details here: http://www.jonobacon.org/2013/07/22/announ...he-ubuntu-edge/

This phone is insanely powerful.

Fast and powerful device with multi-core CPU and at least 4GB RAM

128GB of storage for photos, music, content

So the laptop replacement thing will work.

Is anyone going to be donating?

I hate crowdfunding, I would buy one when it's finished, IF it's good. I prefer the opportunity to review something rather than investing in hopes and dreams.

Disappointed that this device is so far from production, I guess I was expecting something much more polished.

So it turns out Canonical are using IndieGoGo to fund their Ubuntu Edge smartphone... and they're asking for $32mill. Here I was thinking that Canonical was an established company which can fund their own risks. For $800+, they could at least show a working prototype.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

I was just looking up Canonical on the US government's SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) site to see what their public financial records showed regarding how much of their assets are financed through outside lenders. They don't have any filings with the SEC under the name Canonical (or maybe they don't file with the SEC because they aren't a US-based company). Then I went over to the Ubuntu forums to see what they published there (they need some kind of reporting for their investors and stockholders don't they?), and I found this:

They are a UK company, why would they have anything to do with a US regulator? They are also a private company meaning they don't have to file investor or shareholder reports, just tax etc. Info is available on the UK companies registry.

But back on topic, the phone looks pretty nice, it is a fairly lofty goal but they are just shy of $2.5m already (as of this post). Might through some cash at them myself.

Jono has posted the full details here: http://www.jonobacon.org/2013/07/22/announ...he-ubuntu-edge/

They haven't told you what processor it'll be using, so it's impossible to say how powerful it is. If this was Kickstarter I would put $600 down, simply because I'm certain they'll never hit that goal.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

They haven't told you what processor it'll be using, so it's impossible to say how powerful it is. If this was Kickstarter I would put $600 down, simply because I'm certain they'll never hit that goal.

They haven't said what processor it is so they can get the best available at release time.

They haven't said what processor it is so they can get the best available at release time.

That's not entirely their choice though. Companies like Samsung/Apple will almost certainly get first dibs, so if there's a shortage of parts they'll be forced to settle with second best.

By the time this phone is released, the Nexus 4 II, iPhone 5s, SGSV and HTC One II will either be available, or in manufacturing. Risky.

The should at least suggest what they're aiming for. Chip manufacturers in my experience are pretty good with roadmaps. You should be able to say "I expected to be a MegaChipWow!9001, released in Q1 2014, but could change based on availability"

I'm all for keeping your options open, but to generalise SO loosely is always a warning bell of non commitment for me....

I'd think they'd be better developing a native kernel and shell for current gen hardware as a reflash option.