Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.3 and new Nexus device(s)

There's been so many leaks that we probably already know what the annoucements tonight will be. Android 4.3 and the new Nexus 7 are practically certain. I'll update this thread when the anoucement hits. For now, this is what we have:

Android 4.3

- Improved battery life (BT4.0 LE, Wi-Fi scan-only mode to reduce GPS use, general battery tweaks)

- Snappier performance (allegedly, placebo is always a possibility, although the rendering of UI has been

in the back end)

- Predictive phone dialer

- Restricted Profiles (control access to apps/data, great for kids, hides in-app payments!)

- OpenGL ES 3.0

- AVRCP 1.3 Profile

- Hardware geofencing

- VP8 encoder

- SELinux

- Rolling out TODAY for Galaxy Nexus and later.

Nexus 7 2013

Posted Image

What's new:

- Android 4.3

- 1920x1200 7" display

- 2GB RAM

- 16GB/32GB storage options

- Approx. the same price as the original

- Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC (same as N4)

- Notification LED

- Rear 5MP camera

- 7.9" x 4.5" x 0.3" @ 318g

- SlimPort

- Fraunhofer Virtual Surround Sound

- 4G LTE (32GB only)

- Wireless charging

- Greater battery life (added hour compared to old model)

- $229US for 16GB

Chromecast

Posted Image

- Tiny HDMI dongle for TVs to access digital content

- Works on all HDMI enabled TVs, turns your devices into fancy remote controls

- Press 'cast' button in Play Movies/Music/YouTube/Netflix/Pandora etc. apps to instantly watch it on your TV.

- Works on any platform, even iOS/Mac OS/Windows

- Control TV volume with phone vol. keys

- Create video playlists with other people

- Videos will continue playing without phone being active, or even on (independent, doesn't drain battery)

- All devices sync media controls, video progress etc.

- Browse the web on your TV, using your device running Chrome to control it. (beta)

- Will eventually be inbuilt into OEM TVs

- ONLY $35! :O

Google Play Games

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...roid.play.games

- Achievements

- Leaderboards

- Friends

- Asphalt 8 will utilise OpenGL ES 3.0

Google Play Textbooks

- Synced bookmarks, notes, etc.

- Rent texts at 80% discount

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Chromecast looks awesome. I'm getting one for my bro.

It's such a brilliant idea. Screw Google/Apple TV, just use the Internet for everything, and your existing devices as the interface. Genius!

Android 4.3 images for Galaxy Nexus/Nexus 4/Nexus 7/Nexus 10 now available!

Android 4.3

- Improved battery life (BT4.0 LE, Wi-Fi scan-only mode to reduce GPS use, general battery tweaks)

I thought it was the other way around? GSMA reported that the WiFi would remain on for GPS use, but stop pinging nearby WiFi networks. It's a small fix but does hopefully put an end to that redundant 'WiFi networks available' notification, reflecting that WiFi is not only used for internet usage these days. New OpenGL will hopefully mean some games that take full advantage of the processing power available too :D

Android 4.3

I thought it was the other way around? GSMA reported that the WiFi would remain on for GPS use, but stop pinging nearby WiFi networks. It's a small fix but does hopefully put an end to that redundant 'WiFi networks available' notification, reflecting that WiFi is not only used for internet usage these days. New OpenGL will hopefully mean some games that take full advantage of the processing power available too :D

It might do that too. Basically if you turn wifi off it will still scan for available networks, and use their SSIDs for location purposes.

Chromecast looks awesome. I'm getting one for my bro.

It's such a brilliant idea.

Simple and elegant. Nice :-) I'm looking forward to watching this one. If it's anywhere near as fluid as it's being made out to be (in text and specs, not promo videos) then it'll be instant awesome.

Simple and elegant. Nice :-) I'm looking forward to watching this one. If it's anywhere near as fluid as it's being made out to be (in text and specs, not promo videos) then it'll be instant awesome.

It seemed to work really well in their live demo. My problem is my TV is a HDMI-less CRT. :P

SELinux will be interesting.

Any word on how they're setting it up?

According to their dev page:

Android sandbox reinforced with SELinux

Android now uses SELinux, a mandatory access control (MAC) system in the Linux kernel to augment the UID based application sandbox. This protects the operating system against potential security vulnerabilities.

Really tempted to gift/sell my first-gen N7 for this refresh (screen res bump, rear camera, longer battery life, twice the storage space) if it turns out that I can run more than one thing at once without it being faster to just go and turn my desktop PC on.

No update available OTA on my Galaxy Nexus yakju as of posting, keen to see it come down the pipe though it seems Australia always lags a bit behind the rest of the world with server releases.

What provider are you with frunj? I'm with Optus and only got my 4.1 update a few months ago. They seem to lag waaay behind. Hopefully they'll be a bit quicker with this update.

Also, how do I tell what code name my phone is, you said yours is a yakju, I do I find what mine galaxy nexus is? Obviously its one of the details in the phone details info... But which one?

Been thinking of grabbing an N7 for a while and this update is unexpected and very welcome, will almost definitely pick one up now.

According to their dev page:

Android sandbox reinforced with SELinux

Android now uses SELinux, a mandatory access control (MAC) system in the Linux kernel to augment the UID based application sandbox. This protects the operating system against potential security vulnerabilities.

Can you specify a policy or is that up to the developer?

SELinux policies tend to get stuffed up at the best of times and if it's implemented by Google they will have to have made it a fairly loose policy to take into account the huge amount of use cases.

What provider are you with frunj? Also, how do I tell what code name my phone is, you said yours is a yakju, I do I find what mine galaxy nexus is?

I use Android System Info, under the "System" tab and the "BuildInfos" submenu the "Product" field is yakju. I can't recall if there's an easier way to verify it.

*edit*

Oh and my provider is Telstra, though I ordered the phone from mobicity prior to aussie launch and got a UK model. No telecom apps at all on the phone.

Edited by TheFrunj

The N4 I bought my father last year was originally from the Emirates, I think (thanks, Kogan), tho' I ofcourse flashed the standard US image onto it. I think his phone has a Telstra SIM, and it gets occasional updates. I don't know if they're OTA via Telstra, or if his phone pulls them from Google via wifi.