Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.3 and new Nexus device(s)

If your phone is from a carrier, you can look forward to a good few months wait for this update millen. Still no update showing on my Nexus 7 either.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Pretty new to phone tech, best way to speed up process? I own the phone outright, about another year left on warranty...

So we still need to wait a few weeks before the play store has the Nexus 7*2 available for us?

I'm not waiting for carrier, I'm waiting for google servers :P

Too lazy to manually flash the update, not exactly a revolutionary must-have release, just some nice improvements.

My wife's Nexus 4 downloaded the 4.3 update overnight. Installed and running now. Our Nexus 7 still says no updates available though.

I'm on 4.3 now. Haven't seen much difference. As someone who uses Bluetooth a lot as its connected to my car, I hope to see some battery life improvement and connectivity issues fixed while making calls, but I really won't be able to tell for sure until I have about a week of testing under my belt.

My wife's Nexus 4 downloaded the 4.3 update overnight. Installed and running now. Our Nexus 7 still says no updates available though.

They're doing a staged rollout, so some people might need to wait a few days.

Curious if the extra battery life seen on the revised N7 is due to the wifi changes in 4.3 - which'll be nice for first gen tablets!

They're doing a staged rollout, so some people might need to wait a few days.

yeah figures, probably sorted by region, and generation of hardware

Posted Image

Android 4.3 is downloaded, just waiting for my phone to charge before installing. So glad I have a Nexus device.

Finally available here too! Shame it spat out an error... I wonder if this is related to the last bunch of errors I got for 4.2, that stemmed from some file it thought was modified : \

Update ran out to my mums nexus 10 yesterday afternoon and my nexus 4 last night.

Mum says her Nexus 10 is a lot snappier since the update.

I had the 4.3 factory image loaded on to my GNex at lunch time Friday, and murdered manslaughter-ed the digitizer by 6PM. :( I have a HTC One now, but for a few brief hours, I had 4.3.

The biggest thing I noticed was heaps less scrolling lag in Chrome, and the keyboard seemed to freeze up a lot less when editing big blocks of text.

Agreed on the Chrome scroll lag being much improved, though it still chugs a bit after heavy browsing (out of memory issues?).

Can't quite say the battery life has changed, hasn't been long enough to tell.

My live wallpaper (Digital Flux Free) is animated more smoothly for sure, and doesn't seem to get unloaded when the browser hits max memory usage like it did on 4.2.

For anyone interested, here's the official reason why Google doesn't update all devices OTA at once:

OTA ETA

Please don't ask for the ETA of any given OTA.

Here's the deal:

OTAs intentionally start very slowly, both in terms of numbers and in terms of timing. The goal is to try to identify catastrophic failures that wouldn't have been found in testing. Those things can happen, unfortunately. From the point where a phase of the OTA is sent out, it takes at least 2 days to collect enough information to make a decision about the next phase.

Phase by phase, the OTA gets exponentially deployed to more and more people, up to a point where enough people are running it to be able to extrapolate even rare issues to the entire population, at which point the flow gets much faster.

The point of going phase by phase is explicitly to be able to stop the process in case something goes wrong, and that's why there can't even be an ETA.

https://plus.google.com/1122188726494564137...sts/cVFuksrfJCJ

I dont understand why people would complain about having to wait a few days or weeks for the update to filter through.

I dont understand why people would complain about having to wait a few days or weeks for the update to filter through.

It's just the typical nerd "MUST HAVE LATESSSSSTTTTTT" obsession. ;)

i put this on my nexus 7 the other day and it works a treat. Its the best device ive brought in a long time, much better then the samsung products imo

It's just the typical nerd "MUST HAVE LATESSSSSTTTTTT" obsession. ;)

This is mostly true imo, although the introduction of trim support means a lot of angry Nexus 7 owners' tablets are working like they should have all along.

Posted Image

Got a patch to my phone, seems to fix some of the framerate lag I get with my live wallpaper. Swype seems much more fluid.

Oddly I had all those things it lists in the description already, Google Keep and all that stuff was already present.

*edit*

http://www.androidbeat.com/2013/08/nexus-d...e-minor-update/

Seems it was just a minor patch, though unless I'm insane I can swype at full speed without pausing now. Perhaps the memory management has been improved a bit, very hard to tell without a changelog...

Edited by TheFrunj