Chaos.Lady

Registration for New Users

After having a few computer issues this weekend and then clearing out *8 freaking PAGES* of new (mostly spam) regos, I thought it might be good to give anyone registering a headsup on the best way of making sure you are able to register swiftly and easily.

There are a couple of ways to ensure that your registration doesn't get lost in the mail.

1. Do you already know someone who is a member?

Cool. Get them to PM a mod (or just RTM any post) and ask that your registration be approved. Make sure you supply the user name you are registering with and your email address.

2. Don't know anyone here?

No worries. Send a quick email to chaoslady@gmail.com with your details (user name and email address you are using) and I'll make sure it goes through.

I've asked Hawkeye to set up a rego email address that we will check, but until that gets done, I'm happy for you to use that one. It gets checked reasonably regularly. :)

Be warned though. This place is more addictive than crack cocaine. :P

And our thanks to the mods for doing so much. I'm a mod on one forum, but it has the fraction of the number of users, yet we're still busy enough. This place must be like Sparta at times.

So don't think of this emailing/PM thing as an inconvenience, instead think of it as the mods doing all in their power to give you a spam-free happy place (With lots of bickering, like any normal family)

AD

I'd like to apply for five new alts:

Lurkaderp

Astrobuddy

TaHAHAHAkoma

Vivisection

The Right Honourable God-Damn Batgentleman Of Yore

--edit-- And I'd like to go on record as saying I totally vouch for these fine young men. Like, totally.

Edited by Takoma

I'd like to apply for five new alts:

Lurkaderp

Astrobuddy

TaHAHAHAkoma

Vivisection

The Right Honourable God-Damn Batgentleman Of Yore

--edit-- And I'd like to go on record as saying I totally vouch for these fine young men. Like, totally.

Why do I suddenly feel as though every user on here is a Takoma alt and no one is really real (including me).

:D

Why do I suddenly feel as though every user on here is a Takoma alt and no one is really real (including me).

:D

Malkovich Malkovich!

I'm surprised you've actually tried crack cocaine Chaos Lady!

I mean, you must have right, in order to so confidently compare? ;-p

Wouldn't it be wiser (ie, to attract more users) to just strengthen our spammer countermeasures at signup, rather than approving users on a case-by-case basis?

It seems silly to do what it sounds like we're doing above... Unless we want to drive potential users away from the site - either through making the signup process 'too hard' or by deleting their registration totally...

Wouldn't it be wiser (ie, to attract more users) to just strengthen our spammer countermeasures at signup, rather than approving users on a case-by-case basis?

It seems silly to do what it sounds like we're doing above... Unless we want to drive potential users away from the site - either through making the signup process 'too hard' or by deleting their registration totally...

I must say, I'm having difficulty reconciling the two bolded statements. They seem almost totally opposed. Anything 'easy' also tends to be the sort of thing people write spambots to overcome.

Captcha is proving less and less effective. More and more bots are readily available to defeat capture.

The options that exist often cost money, sometimes quite a bit of money. Money which will likely not get thrown at these forums.

Having mods volunteer to do the duty of anti-bot is the most cost effective way.

AD

Thanks guys.

As has been said, I'm already just second line defense. Given how much I clean up, I'd hate to be doing first line duty.

Captcha is proving less and less effective. More and more bots are readily available to defeat capture.

Some of the Captcha's around these days seem to be more effective at preventing humans from solving them than 'bots! ;P

Just to be clear CL, i'm not trying to make it sound like you're doing a bad job... It's just a job that i don't think anyone should need to do.

I'm also not saying that it isn't the most cost effective method either - having a volunteer do the work for you is always going to be easier than actually spending money to get the right solution.

My suggestion in feedback was a new 'intro' section, where your first 2 posts HAVE to be.

Thusly, all the spam is in one place, and anyone who bothers to post twice and then change forum section to continue is likely real.

There was some problem with agreements with advertisers or something though? I dunno.

Hopefully something solid exists soon.

My suggestion in feedback was a new 'intro' section, where your first 2 posts HAVE to be.

Another forum I lurk around has a Welcome section, where new people can post, It's not compulsory however,.

Like you suggested M_S, people could be required to post in there, give a quick run down of who they are, and once a Mod has seen the legit post, they can then flip a switch and allow them to post anywhere else in the forum.

That way, it would be easier to sort the wheat form the chaff,

and we can learn a little more about the people on here :)

#iswearidontworkforprism

Wow. I feel all exclusive and shit. I'm a member of an invite only club. Someone remind me of the secret handsake again please :p

I've got a solution to the spam problems. Fuck up our SEO.

Edited by kikz

Wow. I feel all exclusive and shit. I'm a member of an invite only club. Someone remind me of the secret handsake again please :p

Are people still getting the Secret Atomcian Underpants, or did those go away with the magazine?

Are people still getting the Secret Atomcian Underpants, or did those go away with the magazine?

Nah, Wallacy has them all.

SO, (this sounds overly entitled, and I don't mean it to; but)...

How are we going on the 'securing signup' and possible 'PCTA's Atomic Forums' advertising movement?

I love you all, but new blood and some advertising cant hurt....

We any closer? I'd love an update

Edited by Master_Scythe

Ah....

I wish, is the short story.

Getting sold and all that that has entailed has kinda complicated things. A couple of changes to my original plans for the site have also been sidelined, so that hasn't helped.

HOWEVER.

Some kind of upgrade is on the cards - I've spoken to the devs about it, and while working on Hyper and PCPP solutions, they're looking at that as well.

And it's not entitled at all :) It's a perfectly valid question, and trust me I want to see a bit of life breathed in here myself.