Sign in to follow this  
ugotdan

Another Data recovery thread

Soooo, while creating an OS on one of my "unused" HDDs, it seems my E: has decided to turn "foreign" or "missing" when I switched back to the original setup. Well done to meee :p My E: contains all my NON gaming and system files, which means my OS still runs but not much else :(

Its a Seagate 1TB, and I have another blank 1Tb to recover it to np.

Posted Image

So Disk 2 seems to be Dynamic, meaning nothing to me. It's just not reading. So I'm guessing I need to recover the data onto a basic formatted HDD, which I have available. Now, on this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1263262 which is (not) similar to my problem, there are a few options to go for to recover the data, also, on some previous Atomic threads, there are various tools to use but nothing that screams to me "IM GONNA FIX YOUR SHIT NO MATTER WHAT!!"

Now, I don't mind spending up to $100 on some software that will recover my shit for the rest of my life coz it's likely to happen again and again, but this software is going to need free updates forever (coz I don't want to pay twice) also, I could prob recover friends stuff for beer :D

So far I have looked at:

Active partition

GetDataBack

EaseUS

Some of these are partition recovery stuff but I need to recover the entire HDD right? So will it do the job, or should I use something different or more simple/free?

Hobbyist here so too much technical software 1s and 0s may make me vomit!

Haha, I'm like a bulldozer trying to do ballet in a crystal museum lol. FAIL.

TIA

Luv Dan <3

I have had success with GetDataBack but haven't tried the others. Make sure you don't write to the drive you want to recover data from.

More reading on past threads done - http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?s...ecover,AND,data - this isn't specific to my problem but I've seen many referrals to testdisk. I guess I'll try that before forking out cash. Others mentioned are pc inspector and piriform.

Thanks fajw, I have been leaning in that direction for a paid version but i don't think GDB includes unlimited updates. Simply because there's a new windows/Mac/Linux OS every fucking week and I don't want to be stuck like this again. I am just thinking ahead :)

Yeah Getdataback has been a great success for me too.

I think EaseUS works too - heard good things about it.

Well EaseUS has unlimited updates and lots of applications so I think I'll try that. Will post how it works out.

GetDataBack has worked well for me in the past (but it is not free though).

Ok I'm updating this thread for some closure for future users with this prob (funny coz it seems no one ever does!)

I went with the crowd consensus and bought "getdataback". Payed $90 AUD for it (Ouch!) and am now copying data from the "foreign dynamic" HDD to another "basic" disk.

I guess the two disks were extended and I had them set up as dynamic. I removed one thinking it was spare but forgetting it was not. That was a $90 mistake. Nice kick in the nuts. Can't wait for the next one :D

Thanks to those brave souls who had some input, I am loving these forums and the stuff they're made of (you).

I'll let you know how it works out in the end.

100% - Thanks all for the feedback my drive has been copied and all is back to normal. GetDataBack is a winner :) Cheers.

That is great to hear. Make sure you have do have some real backup measures in place for critical data just in case the drive does die for real!!

I know it's all been said and done now, but PhotoRec probably could have done the job for free. I've used it a couple of time and it has always gotten my data back - at least all the stuff that wasn't corrupted.

Also works well for failed HDDs.