Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Servers! Holy mother of god!

Before I get into this; Any idea how, when I make my Android phone a hotspot, to have all webpages direct to a landing page?

Anyway.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...imate&hl=en

Have you seen the latest additions to this bloody thing?

For the click impaired:

CVS

DC Hub

DHCP

DLNA

DNS

DDNS

eDonkey

Email (POP3 / SMTP)

FTP Proxy

FTP

FTPS

Flash Policy

Git

Gopher

HTTP Snoop

ICAP

IRC Bot

IRC

ISCSI

Icecast

LPD

Load Balancer

MQTT

Memcached

MongoDB

MySQL

NFS

NTP

NZB Client

Napster

PHP + Lighttpd

PXE

Port Forwarder

Proxy

RTMP

Remote Control

Rsync

SMB/CIFS

SMPP

SMS

Socks

SFTP

SSH

Server Monitor

Stomp

Styx

Syslog

TFTP

Telnet

Test

Time

Torrent Client

Torrent Tracker

Trigger

UPnP Port Mapper

VNC

Wake On Lan

Web

WebDAV

WebSocket

X11

XMPP

for a $6.50 app.....

And with Android-x86 providing a working image for Virtualbox

http://www.android-x86.org/documents/virtualboxhowto

This could be a very friendly GUI server app to add to existing file servers or the like.

I'm a fan of virtualising public facing servers; easier to blow them away if compromised; so this is bloody exciting! Now it has PHP and MySQL i'm going to see if it can run TinyBoard imageboard software :)

Might run my home servers external stuff from this. Exciting!

I however have a secondary goal.....

My goal is a random, but geeky one..... I have an old 800mhz SONIC sitting in my drawer.

I intend to attach it full time to a portable USB battery.

I then intend to open the hotspot up, and leave it 100% open. (no sim card of course).

I intend to have all HTTP requests hit a landing page, explaining I'm an open 64gb (microSD) file server, with every (reasonable) protocol you can think of enabled for anonymous access.

I want to see what files people share, what ends up being added or tweaked, and so on. A bit of a social experiment if you will.

I do expect to get a lot of pictures of peoples junk..... Not something I look forward to, but probably a reality.

It'll be interesting.

stuff.

Most people will probably hit it and move on, or make your landing page more amusing (to them).

You'd need to be in a fairly high traffic area for anyone to notice in the first place i think.

Also how often are these servers updated from upstream?

I did indeed say stuff :P

And no idea how often they're updated. But security and features arent my goal (who ever though they'd hear THAT!). It can be as hackable as it wants. its an offline thing effectively, maybe a bit of a mesh network.

While you're right, a lot will move on, not all will. I live next to public transport (literally) and I get a lot of attempts on my secured wifi in the mornings.

This guy had better be careful, can't find links to any of the GPL code he is offering for sale.

But seriously some of the things listed are a bit pointless (load balancer, memcache, ISCSI)?