Sign in to follow this  
squid

AMD Drivers

In Feb. I built a new PC and thought I would try an AMD graphics card for a change (long time user of nvidia), the price was good and specs better than nvidia at that price

so I bought a HD7870, about a month ago it started playing up, games crashing and BSOD about once a day... so I sent the card back for repair, the shop tested it and said its fine (I believe them too)

so I have been messing around with the drivers and it stopped crashing in games and no BSOD anymore, but now when its idle (always after I have gone to bed or work) the PC just fully crashes, screen wont turn on and system wont respond, I've tried catalyst 13.4, 13.6 and I'm just now installing 13.8

so my question is has anyone else had really bad problems with the catalyst drivers? any help on things to try to fix this?

Cheers

Edited by squid

Looks like the Zero core isn't working or something gone glitchy there. Windows 7 or 8?

Looks like the Zero core isn't working or something gone glitchy there. Windows 7 or 8?

windows 7

I can't even tell at this stage if its the AMD drivers... but so far its always been them... when I sent the card back I used my old nvidia 7800GT and the system ran sweet.. not a problem

Sorry, can't really offer much advice. I currently have a 7870 and its been running fine without any problems.

If you are certain it is not a hardware related issue (ie: either the card itself, the PSU, or some other hardware problems), then try doing a clean uninstall of all the graphics driver (using Driver Sweeper as well) before reinstalling.

If you've tried a total uninstall of drivers, have run Driver Fusion (the poorly GUI'd sucessor to Driver Sweeper) and CCleaner (make sure you deselect the options you don't want, such as removing browser history or other files), then this might be worth trying to see if it's the zero-core power feature causing problems:

http://ulps.achromaticcomputing.com/

Copy the text, open notepad, paste, save as "ulpsdisable.bat" and run it.

Edited by TheFrunj

I had a similar issue with my Asus DCU2T 7950, actually, the issue sounds exactly the same, what would happen for me to begin with, was I would come back to my PC after not using it for a while and the screen would be off, but the lights, keyboard and mouse were all on, i couldn't "wake" it back up, so I had to reboot it.

This started to get more and more frequent over the course of 3 or so months, until the card was having driver crashes a little bit into games. Ended up having it replaced by MSY.

OK... I have tried uninstalling the drivers fully (but not using a 3rd party app, but windows didn't know what the card was so as far as I can tell they were all out) and reinstalled, still crashing.. so today I disabled my asus Xonar DSX and that seems to of fixed it... so now to find out whats going on with that!

full system specs...

AMD FX 8350 cpu

2x8gig corsair vengence ram

gigabyte 990fxa d3 mobo

Hd7970 graphics

asus xonar dsx

cooler master 550 watt psu

and win 7 pro 64bit

Try updating your MB bios. Reseat the Xonar and Ram. Run memtest86+. Check your logs.

Edited by gamble

If you're running the DSX, get the UniXonar drivers. They're better than the OEM drivers ASUS provides. A quick Google should provide the link for it.

Also, check that you disabled the onboard sound as that could be the problem as two devices sharing the same driver may not play fair in a sense.

Finally, update the BIOS as I think there have been an AGESA update for that motherboard that may or may not fix the issues you have.