Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Caelum

NBN - Is it too expensive?

You can ask Internode for a trial router. They will send you one pre-configured, and a return post bag. You get it for a few weeks.

I've done this in the past.

Otherwise, keep hassling them. The frustrating thing is, that it's likely it dumps the log files of the unit every time you have to reset it. It'd be awesome if logging was enabled and could capture when it dropped to see what is happening. (Not gonna happen)

AD

• Like 1

hrrm. I think I'd need more. This truly has the hallmarks of LCP timeouts. Can do funny things when that happens. Need logging to the 'warning' level and just not error/critical.

Obviously, it's not straight forward to say "Here's a solution. GO!" We have times where we spend 2 or 3 months trying to diagnose a single DSL issue. We have several grand worth of gear to assist that give us TCPDumps of what is going on. (Protip: If you have the support guy say "What's a PADI/PADO?" You know you're going to have a bad time for the rest of the phonecall as they stick to the script and get horribly confused)

AD

• Like 1

Let me get this straight.

1) Under Labor. It was STARTING to ramp up, then Liberal canned it. And now that Liberal are starting to ramp up, they get the credit? F#$k off. We would have seen these figures LAST year if Liberal hadn't f#$ked it up.

Have a read of that article again.

The point it's making is that after less than 6 months of MTM deployment the metrics favour the Turnbull NBN based on non-Fibre MTM technologies than after 3 years of deployment of fibre under the Conroy NBN (first few years were infrastructure - FSANs, etc.).

The point is that the NBN as proposed by this government is quicker to deploy and quicker to ramp up. And is already connecting people quicker than the old fibre NBN did.

2) Pay for fibre. HOORAY!! TWO TIER INTERNET! FAST INTERNET FOR THE RICH AND F#$K YOU POOR! WHY ARE YOU POOR YOU LOUSY WRETCHES!!

I doubt the poor could afford to pay for 100Mbps fibre. It's just simple logic.

iinet 100/40Mbps fibre retails for $89.90/month. Poverty line in Australia is $400 for a single adult per week. $1600 a month. About $1100 of that disappears on average rental costs. Doesn't leave much for food, etc.

So let's stop parroting the Labor line that this is a two-tier internet.

Labor's plans charged more for 100Mbps than for 25Mbps (as they should) - creating a situation of haves and have nots anyways.

Is that 3 years under Conroy just fibre deployment to homes, or it includes all the time spent on negotiations, implementation planning, testing, setting up backend systems for internal as well as RSP access, etc?

I've not had the opportunity to troubleshoot a fixed wireless NBN connection D, but that really sounds like faulty hardware, iinet are usually very good at addressing those issues by straight-forward substitution.

Quote from Leo:

"Labor's plans charged more for 100Mbps than for 25Mbps (as they should) - creating a situation of haves and have nots anyways."

That's not a have-have not situation mate that's having infrastructure to do whatever you want and buying what you need with the freedom to upgrade.

Which is what is fundamentally wrong with trying to squeeze more and more out of copper oxide :)

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

The freedom to upgrade is still there. Its just more expensive to the individual beyond the 100Mbps mark because frankly the MTM is more than capable of those speeds.

Again - in any kind of price tiering you have haves and have nots, limited by their economic situation.

Is that 3 years under Conroy just fibre deployment to homes, or it includes all the time spent on negotiations, implementation planning, testing, setting up backend systems for internal as well as RSP access, etc?

Companies never do just one thing. 3 years is from the time they started actually putting fibre into the ground.

So not including the trial phase in Tasmania that used overhead cabling?

So not including the trial phase in Tasmania that used overhead cabling?

Stage 3 was completed Q4 2010. Labour got booted out of office Q3 2010. 3 years.

Mind you... And this is a bit hazy... I believe they began doing mainland prod sites by laying fibre, by the 2nd phase which was Q1 2010 but weren't connecting clients yet. Just laying the groundwork.

Companies never do just one thing. 3 years is from the time they started actually putting fibre into the ground.

Oddly.. 3-4 years ago, you were arguing this fact.

Oh well.

AD

Oh well.

AD

Be hard to believe given 3-4 years ago I was running my own company and never doing just one thing at any one time.

Yeah.. I've had my lead-in line replaced(pole to house). I'm on a new pair from pole to pillar and from pillar to exchange. At the rate of speed degradation, (I've gone from 11Mbit to 7.5Mbit in 9 - 12 months) I'm due for another pair in about 1.5 - 2 years. Yeah.. It's a problem. But oh well. I'm going to LOVE to see how they handle nodes on a pole to pole arrangement. (It's cheaper to run fibre than install a node on a pole) AD

Just out of curiousity looked back at this thread.

I should declare myself a psychic. Beginning this year I had to have Telstra out to fix my line again. New pair.

Sept 2013 -> Jan 2015.

I'm now stable on 6.5Mbit with my connection.

So to give reference.

7 yrs ago: 16Mbit

2 yrs ago: 11Mbit

Now: 6Mbit

All those are with 'fresh pairs' standard reliability profiles.

I'm glad the copper is fine.

AD

Oh well.

AD

Be hard to believe given 3-4 years ago I was running my own company and never doing just one thing at any one time.

Yeah. I thought this thread was going longer than it was (Time flies when having fun!!!)

2 yrs ago tops.

But I may have to apologize. It may have been to xnatex. Not sure now. Vague memories.. And I'm not cracking my 2nd beer and don't give a F#$K!

AD

Post -> Pillar (And any pits in between) -> Exchange.

New pairs. I am having to take tech at gospel however (unlike last time. Last time I was stay at home dad so I could watch. This time I was at work). He reported he gave me best pairs he could find from pole all the way to exchange.

So the copper has changed. The joints have been renewed. Best I can offer.

It's fun to watch my SNR when it rains. I can sit on my modem page and press 'refresh'. My SNR varies from 8db to 13db.

AD

;)

You need a visit from Wizard Leo - a wave of the wand and all copper shall be perfect my children :)

Cheers

So, I'm a bit out of touch with what's been going with the NBN, but can anyone here explain the value in paying Telstra $100 billion to rent their ageing copper network over the next 30 years? I'm pretty sure either the report is misleading, or I'm not understanding a critical part of the system, because that seems batshit insane. Are we really just avoiding short term debt for long term expense? How can that be justified economically?

So, I'm a bit out of touch with what's been going with the NBN, but can anyone here explain the value in paying Telstra $100 billion to rent their ageing copper network over the next 30 years? I'm pretty sure either the report is misleading, or I'm not understanding a critical part of the system, because that seems batshit insane. Are we really just avoiding short term debt for long term expense? How can that be justified economically?

Erm... from what Turnbull told me at one of those Politics at the Pub meetings, the govt has spent a red cent more than what Labor did.

The difference is that Labor paid Telstra shitloads of money with no access to the copper. Whereas Libs paid Telstra same money but get access to the copper.

I can find out more, but that's the gist of it.

;)

You need a visit from Wizard Leo - a wave of the wand and all copper shall be perfect my children :)

Cheers

I'd like to see what happens when the pillar -> exchange copper run is eliminated, yeah.

It's quite feasible to stretch new pairs from a pillar. You have to be on Telstra's case for most of a year, but it's not unheard of for them to commission brand new pairs. I somehow doubt that they would stretch new pairs between the pillar and the exchange though... they'd just find free ones with the best metrics...

Damn telstra guys are laying big heavy Fibre cable under the footpath in their pit next to our house. Its a Bright green cable about the same thickness as a garden hose. I am curious as too what they are doing.

Be happy, you may be getting close to having NBN

http://riaus.org.au/articles/what-does-the-nbn-look-like/

Worth checking by entering your address at the NBN website.

Cheers

yeah that looks like the cable.

Just checked the NBN rollout map ,not in our area yet. But i can see where the cable is going ,right into Greens area to a new suburb with houses designed to be self sufficient. Lochiel Park near the O-Bahn.

Edited by codecreeper

:)

The history over here has been if it is running past your door they back-fill the service to the houses on the cable route, so you could be lucky.

Cheers

• Like 1

I'm on the 2016 build list for MTM in WA... Which means, for me, FTTN via VDSL2, unless technologies change again.

Knowing how old the copper is at my house, i'm going to be surprised if i get anywhere near 100mbit, probably closer to 30-50... That said, when it finally happens (probably 2019 for build completion), if i'm still at that house i'll just get it upgraded to fibre, if the cost isn't stupid high.

• Like 1

That said, when it finally happens (probably 2019 for build completion), if i'm still at that house i'll just get it upgraded to fibre, if the cost isn't stupid high.

Good luck with that.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2015/3/19/technology/nbn-fibre-cost-shock

http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/technology-choice-program.html

• Like 1