Sign in to follow this  
gyrus

DLC? Nah. I'll wait for the pack, thanks.

So, I just finished Mass Effect 2... and I enjoyed it... but it was a game someone gave me second hand as a gift.

I didn't buy it myself because I don't buy games new anymore since IMHO Australian prices are highway robbery.

So, I wait a year, and buy when the price has dropped.

But now there is this thing called DLC...

And when I went looking for more info on Mass Effect, I see not only the trilogy - but also a ton of DLC....

Some of the DLC is free, some isn't. And I notice that later editions of ME2 (for example) came bundled with DLC that was initially sold separately?

So people like me, who wait, are likely to get the game cheaper and quite possibly get the DLC "free"

It was the same with Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the "Missing Link" DLC. I got the Deus Ex 'complete' bundle - including Pre Order bonuses and all DLC at a discount price about 4 months ago.

I originally brought Magicka when there were only two DLC packs... and I must admit every time I see new DLC for that game I get pissy... because I don't want to keep paying for stuff... which is odd since I haven't played Magicka in months anyway.

So, when I see a new game now... one of my thoughts is that I wont buy it until its been out for long enough to come bundled with all the DLC and at a discount price.

I'm thinking I won't get the Mass Effect Trilogy yet ($80 worth at EB at the moment) until it comes bundled with a stack of DLC. That is effectively a 'lost sale' isn't it?

So, what do you guys think about DLC?

Do you buy it?

Do you care?

Does it make you angry when DLC is released for a game you already own? Just brought?

Are any of you like me and discouraged from buying new games because you expect DLC?

Do you wait for the DLC to be bundled before you buy?

What about (player / fan made) Mods? Do you feel the same way about them?

Does it make me angry?

Short answer? Nope, couldn't give a rats.

I game almost exclusively on PC, so I generally never pay more than $30 for a game at release anyway, further to that, most DLC is priced anywhere between $5-$10 and the more expensive DLC often adds several hours of gameplay. You consider the fact that a little while back, before DLC, games would generally get an expansion pack a year or so after the original release and the expansion would generally be priced at around $50.

DLC is much the same, but rather than waiting a year or more for an expansion, you get bits and pieces of extra content scattered across the first 12-24 months after release of a product, it means people get their extra content faster and at much the same price as an expansion (Especially now with "Season Passes" which cost around $30-$50).

Edited by NukeJockey

if you see a c&c game, there's an expansion.

most things by valve get enhancements, but they're free..

My thoughts on game purchasng are

Will I like it?

can I afford it?

will it make me install another steam clone?

and that 3rd one is the kicker. valve's system is well thought out, many features, regular sales and generally not much consumer privacy invasion (that i'm aware of)

I don't need Uplay or origin. my lifestyle has not deteriated by not purchasing battlefield 3.

Whether or not I buy the DLC depends on the DLC to be honest. If it is worth adding on the gameplay, then I don't mind. As Nukey has pointed out, I remember when we had to stump up $50 for expansion packs which may or may not add anything extremely meaningful to our original games. Nowadays, Season Pass/whatever constitutes as the Season Pass could easily be substituted as expansion packs in a sense. An example would be Metro/Last Light where the Season Pass got me the Faction Pack. The Nazi part was a let-down but it was more than made up by the other two which was enjoyable as it is.

Do I care? Well, short answer is no. Only if it is really necessary, then I might get them. And even if it is released after I bought my game, it's more a 'meh, whatever' attitude. Most of the DLCs are incentives to pre-order something ahead of the moment. However, I do think it is robbery when said features are actually taken out as DLC like the Ranger Mode for Metro. And about bundles, that still depends on the quality of the game. Taking the example of Fallout New Vegas, I bought all the DLCs when it was cheap during a Steam sale and never regretted it. However, take the opposite of that and another example, Saints Row the Third. Here, we get minor things and DLCs that barely add on four hours at most. That's robbery there.

And I don't like it if a game needs another software to be installed to play (*looks at Origin and Mass Effect 3 in general*). I prefer sticking to just Steam and that's it.

I find it annoying when "old" games that had DLC are no longer available, and there is no way to get the DLC's anymore. Take Forza 2 for example. That being said, I'm gonna wait until there is a complete Borderlands 2 (GOTY edition or something) until I play it

I find it hard to justify buying any games outside of Steam Sales and Humble Bundles etc. I don't like DLC because most of it is useless, however proper expansion DLCs like say Shivering Isles for Elder Scrolls Oblivion is good stuff at the right price, which as you mentioned, often comes bundled in later-on deals anyway.

The only dlc I've ever felt was worth buying was the Fallout: New Vegas stuff and the first and last dlc for Skyrim (though not at it's original asking price). 99% of dlc is just useless crap that has no real meaningful affect on your enjoyment of the game or is cut content set out to do nothing more then nickel and dime the consumer *cough* Bioware, Shale and the Protean *cough* and shouldn't be bought on principle.

It really depends on the game itself. Some DLCs are a waste of money because the game itself was a waste of money - e.g. Aliens: Colonial Marines. Others are a good investment because the game is a multiple player - e.g. Battlefield 3

As a rule of thumb the more effort put into the original game, the better the DLC will likely to be.

The best DLCs I've played was for Borderlands 2. Hands down the most interesting, varied and money for buck expansions of an already fucking impressive game that adds hours of additional gameplay. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep was fucking hilarious and awesome. <3 bitch smacking King Jeffrey around like a pinata and the WoW references were ROFL.

My rule of thumb is not to purchase any games over $5. That's it. I get heaps of advantages with this, like most of the add-ons are either bundled, or cheap. Critic and user reviews are many and available. Glitches, bugs and game issues in general are ironed out. Walkthroughs are available if I care to use them. Most über gamer/annoying kids/must have latest game ppl have moved on to the latest and greatest leaving me to play and learn from dedicated pros (multiplayer). Also, I don't need the latest hardware to run them at nice settings :) I currently sports some hd6970s that chop through most of my games at high settings. This also allows me to use second hand gear like fans and water cooling at a fraction of the cost of "off the shelf" gear. I love that people need the latest gear now lol coz I'll be buying that wc block or highly rated cpu for 1/4 the price they payed.

There are a few exceptions, like arma and star citizen, but I'm happy to play arma on standard settings, it's still sexy. It's the community that makes the game there :)

So do I care about DLC, depends wether it's highly rated or not... Do I get angry? No way! If I missed it, well, I can wait til it's for sale down the track :)

Mods are the same but generally free, so no love lost. Just extra replay ability for free (in most cases)

Depends on the DLC is my answer.

I'm not interested in "Red Shoes" DLC.

I hate DLC which makes it pay to win.

But I don't mind *reasonably priced* DLC that adds a lot. (Expansion quantity/quality)

I can't stand DLC which costs as much as a new game. Sod that.

I'm waiting for Civ 5: Brave New World to come down in price to DLC price, not new game price. It's an expansion and DLC. Not a new game. So. $15 is my limit. Not $50 which it is at the moment. I got Gods and Kings by waiting for it to come down to about $10. I'll do the same for Brave New World.

AD

I like that it provides incentive to the developers to improve the game and keep it fresh.

I worry that sometimes it is used as a cash cow by developers.

Defiantly dont like it when a game has been released quickly followed by DLC, or DLC options are available from the get go.

DLC should be for improvement and longevity, not to sell a weapon to a player. But I have no problem with it to sell a skin to player as it does not impact the game.

I'm waiting for Civ 5: Brave New World to come down in price to DLC price, not new game price. It's an expansion and DLC. Not a new game. So. $15 is my limit. Not $50 which it is at the moment. I got Gods and Kings by waiting for it to come down to about $10. I'll do the same for Brave New World.

AD

Yeah I paid seven dollars for the original game, I would feel silly paying nine times as much for an expansion.

the last DLC i got was with Fallout New vegas and BF3 and they are awesome.

But there is lots of shit DLC