Director

Need a new blender. Tips plse.

So went to the nutritionist yesterday and he's turning me into a bloody vegan for a few weeks. :(

So I pulled out the old (like 25 years old)blender and chucked in a whole bunch fruits and leaves and seeds and shit and hit the button, which promptly blended the bottom inch of the contents and not more. So being the enterprising chap that I am I took of the lid and stared mooshing the contents down with a wooden spoon. Not brilliant when it hit the rotating blades but hey, a bit of extra fibre right?

So anyway, I assume there's new-fangled blenders out there whereby I chuck in whatever I want, hit the button and a magic smoothie comes out the other end.

Do ye know if such a device? (Under $200)

So went to the nutritionist yesterday and he's turning me into a bloody vegan for a few weeks. :(

Get a new nutritionist then. Load of bloody bullshit IMO.

;)

Trouble is mate that what you really want is a real juicer. I think like me you read Nexus magazine, they pretty much always have ads for the Rolls Royces that probably do do a better job and retain more nutrition but they are very expensive.

in the more pedestrian blenders you might just as well look at Breville, or Sunbeam, I have the latter, works fine, easy to clean, should leave change out of $100. For twice the money I suppose you'd get an ok processor with a juicer attachment, depends if you have a processor already.

Cheers

I has a VitaMix. It is my single favourite appliance in our kitchen :-) But... overkill, for your purposes, I am sure. If you were near Brissy, D, I could give you a good blender for free :-( Partner's Harvey Norman blender got superceded by mine when I moved in :-p

Question: did you have enough water/liquid in the canister? I've seen blenders do that "blend the bottom inch" thing if there's not enough liquid to get all the produce circulating. If that happens, add more liquid to get things moving, then if it's too thin add some soft produce to thicken it a bit. But it could be as you say, 25 years old and not up to par anymore.

In which case, I know Mr whore's blender came from HN. Pretty sure its a Sunbeam. Look for the speed rating, that should tell you a little about how powerful it will be.

chrisg, blender vs juicer will depend on what exactly D's nutritional requirements are, as indicated by his nutritionist. A blended drink still retains all the fibre in the produce due to the pulp remaining, so there are benefits to that involving uptake of nutrients (particularly sugars). Juice, on the other hand, has most of the fibre stripped out, meaning yes the body gets a nutritional hit, but it gets delivered to the bloodstream quicker which can be bad news for people with blood sugar issues. Juicing is not necessarily always "better" - it's just a different tool :-)

Edit: I apologise if I sound a bit snippy there - typing on my phone and it's a bit arduous so I'm taking shortcuts :-p

Edited by elvenwhore

the will it blend Blendtec Blender is the only one i'd ever spend money on.

It'd be a talking piece as well as a food prep. And when i'm bored, I can blend an iphone or two.

Yeah Elven, I've never taken a lot of notice but the claims of the really expensive things seem to be along the lines of not crushing the pulp.

Cheers

Thanks elven,

Yeah is was a bit gluggy now that you mention it, I'll try more water tomorrow, if that fails I'm not 'that' far from Brissy. :)

I use a cheap blender that cost about $30 daily, works no differently to the ancient blender I owned before moving os, which is probably well over thirty years old. As stated, the amount of liquid is important, as is the layering. Whatever liquifies easiest should go in the bottom. What are you mixing?

The kids bought a blender just to do health drinks. The receptacle is basically a tall tumbler. A quick google has them being just ok, but they are within your budget and easy to use/clean.

Here tis

I like the Kenwood stick blender. It has various attachments that make it basically a full sized blender; but the added bonus of being a stick blender for other things. I've read some mixed reviews of it though.

At some point an auger juicer will be on the purchase list for me. Can juice leafy vegetables, and also make nut butters. Cashew and almond butter is awesome. Minces meat as well.

Tried Elvens tip of adding more water which seemed to do the trick for now. Rather not spend more money on a blender that might not get much use after I start feeling better. :)

Wooties! :-) Now... can I tempt you to had a handful of baby spinach leaves to your next smoothie? Sounds awesome, yeah? :-p

Do you just want to puree stuff? Try an immersion blender if you don't want to make big batches.

Essentially, the more money you pay for a blender, the finer the result. Off the top of my head, rotor stator setups can produce small enough particles that you can't feel any grainy texture, but wayyyyy beyond your budget/needs.

Shame you said under $200 instead of under $2000 - thermomix all the way!

Shame you said under $200 instead of under $2000 - thermomix all the way!

+1. Thermomix FTW, but it is a little expensive XD

Mind you though, finance through them is pretty good (even though I opted for the 3 payment plan) friend said hers was around $20 per week...

:)

With one of those mate you don't need an abusive prick in your kitchen. They are unreal but the sticker shock is substantial.

Cheers