Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

What does Linux need to steal market share?

Poison, back 1996 the only distro I knew very well was the Red Hat Distro, which I did install. However, before that I just installed the kernel itself. It was complicated at best. Firstly, if you wanted to install Linux and still be able to use Windows, you had to use LILO. In fact, you had to use LILO in any case anyway. Back then, LILO very specific install specifications (I cant remember what they are but I think it had to be installed in the first so many sectors of your HDD or it wasn't going to work). Then you had to look at the how-to guides available on the net. Once you had LILO, then it was fairly easy to install the kernel. Oh, btw, Windows 95 was pretty much on all computers back then which although a GUI still had DOS running underneath. So unless you wanted to use the DOS command prompt, you never actually had to see it. With Linux, no way. Even to install the GUI was a journey in itself. Remember, I didn't have any experience with Linux at all. I did everything from scratch. Once the GUI was up, it made things easy. However, it took almost 3 days of installing and reinstalling and looking up the net (mostly because you had to go to Windows from Linux just to find out what you had to do to install this or that) before I had the kernel running with xwindows with no support from Red Hat or any real person, except for the HOW-TO guides. In other words, a steep learning curve.

As you pointed out, Poison, things have changed considerably. Installation is a breeze with the current crop of distros. However, the fact remains that Linux is and always shall be a non mainstream OS. I don't running currently on my systems at home but I can guarantee that if you asked everyone of the regulars on this forum, or atomicans for that matter, probably about 30% of them actually use Linux in their homes (apart from Tablets and Smartphones). Why would they? I mean, Windows, these days, is as stable as a rock (I have run my machine running Windows 8 for 30 consecutive days without a reboot/restart/shutdown without it falling down or crashing). Even XP wasn't completely stable. However, with the current makes of windows around, particularly V7 and V8, you don't have to much of anything. You hook up something, the OS automatically installs a device driver for it until you want to replace it with something else.

The point I want to make here is that Linux will always demand a learning curve. Always, whether its the OS and its subsystems or its applications. People these days pretty much want to put a disk in and get it to install whatever software or plug in hardware and want it to work. They don't want complication. That's what killed OS/2. It was a good Operating System, and I have to say, it was the OS that Windows had become by Windows Vista. However, it was far too complicated, with all its nested menus and such. People only knew how to left click to launch something but right clicking still isn't used that much in the mainstream. I could go on and on but I wont.

It's won't be able to be called anything with 'ubuntu' in the name, copyright issues. That's assuming the project get's off the ground and is an OS rather than an APP

Call it: Atomic MSS,

Maximum Simplicity Server

lol. Maybe we should try and make an atomic OS, i mean, PCuser and Overclock.net both pulled one off for a few years.

Hey, if I understood more of 'how' I'd happily help out. Android cooking is easy, add APKs, and remove them, they install on first boot.... Making a bootable Linux OS though.... no idea.

Hey, if I understood more of 'how' I'd happily help out. Android cooking is easy, add APKs, and remove them, they install on first boot.... Making a bootable Linux OS though.... no idea.

Package stuff ( i can do), make a wesite and hosting (launchpad.net or debian can help), make scripts and patches, make an installer, make artwork.

Can we please actually do this?