Sign in to follow this  
jonno4130

Windows 7 install on MacBoor Air

Hey guys,

Just throwing a quick query out into the world. My friend has a 2013 MacBook Air, and wants Windows 7 installed on it (I don't care why). They don't care for Apple OS at all, so I'm going to wipe it for a complete installation of Windows to the drive. Boot it up with a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit install disc in an external optical drive (connected over USB - MacBooks don't have their own drive). Installation starts with the Language menu, and the keyboard/trackpad do not work. Connect a USB mouse (tried wired and wireless) with no luck.

I'm pretty sure the issue is related to Windows 7 not having native USB 3.0 support, but thought it weird that the USB Optical Drive would work, but USB keyboards/mice wouldn't. Any suggestions for how to get past this issue?

Plan B involves installing Boot Camp and going Windows/Mac OS side by side, and set it to Windows by default I suppose, at a cost of HDD space for an OS that will never get used.

Cheers and thanks in advance if you have any ideas!

No dice unfortunately - that article is from 2010 when MacBook Airs had USB 2.

I tried making a Windows 7 install USB with added USB 3.0 drivers from Intel but still no luck. No idea how to "reverse" a USB installer to an ISO to see if the new USB3 powered installer works from disc.

At this stage I think I'll have to head to Plan B and go down the BootCamp road and install side by side. With a 120gb SSD this isn't ideal for disk space but will have to do.

I'll try and update when victorious!

Try to install mac osx, split the drive in 2, clone the first partition to the second.

Format the first as fat, run bootcamp, it should restart to windows.

If it all installs fine, you can delete the mac partition and extend the windows partition.

Ran it with Bootcamp, didn't like 64 bit Ultimate so tried 64 bit Professional and all worked fine. Now boots to Windows on startup and everything is working as it should!

Was thinking about deleting the OSX partition ad expanding the Windows one but I have no idea if the Bootcamp drivers are tied to the OSX system at all... Anyone tried that before?

It's all on the windows volume, you can delete the mac side and resize if your bootcamp partition is first (left or top).

It's all on the windows volume, you can delete the mac side and resize if your bootcamp partition is first (left or top).

If it all goes to custard, backup the X64 drivers, to USB (or burn a DVD) . Then you can install any windows version, and use the X64 drivers to reinstall all the devices.