GTAV6

What is the point of System Restore...

PowerDVD 10 has been pestering me for many months to update, so yesterday I finally did - and whatever CyberLink have done, it now constantly crashes (i.e., it just winks out of existence all the time). It also seems to be defeating AnyDVD's ability to control Blu-ray zones. So, I thought, no worries, I'll simply restore back to the day before. Yeah, right...

I've repeatedly tried to roll back to multiple points before I installed the update - but every single time, System Restore is unsuccessful, even in safe mode. A little Googling informs me that this is more common than not. I get the impression from what I read that once Windows 7 has been running for much more than several months, you can basically forget about System Restore :o(

I'll just have to wait until my NAS is plugged in again and reload the earlier version of PowerDVD 10 from my backup files, so this particular issue isn't the end of the world by any means. It just bugs me that a so-called 'feature' of Win7 that I considered would be incredibly useful, turns out to be nothing more than a non-functioning sales gimmick. Is there some way to overcome this shortfall, either via Micro$oft or by some other means?

By the way, CyberLink's solution is for me to cough up another NZ$120 and upgrade to PowerDVD 13 Ultra...

<conspiracy theory>

Can't help but wonder if the final version of 10 is deliberately buggy to frustrate punters into stepping up with more cash for 12 or 13!

</conspiracy theory>

Edited by GTAV6

By the way, CyberLink's solution is for me to cough up another NZ$120 and upgrade to PowerDVD 13 Ultra...

<conspiracy theory>

Can't help but wonder if the final version of 10 is deliberately buggy to frustrate punters into stepping up with more cash for 12 or 13!

</conspiracy theory>

ye ye I know tin foil hat territory, but I wonder the same thing at times.

I assume you are running the latest AnyDVD version?

PowerDVD has always been a resource hog. The constant crashing I am not too sure about.

And for me personally, I don't even have System Restore enabled at all.

System restore has saved my arse a couple of times because of a couple of bugs in Win8.

Also, why not use VLC player?

System restore is good for viruses to hide in :P

Otherwise, its a lazy 'undo' for system files where people dont bother imaging the drive. I dont know why though; I just image once a week on schedule to an external HDD. it happens while I'm asleep. While the disk is live, thanks to shadow copy services.

anywho; doesn't VLC do blurays now as long as they're unencrypted? aka, AnyDVDHD?

anywho; doesn't VLC do blurays now as long as they're unencrypted? aka, AnyDVDHD?

I can only ever get this to work by browsing the disk for the m2ts files, even then I seem to get weird display corruption.

MPC-HC works but you have no disk menus which is a pain.

Player wise I am currently using Nero Blu_Ray Player but think you need to buy Nero Platinum for this ( I have Nero 11 Platinum as I use Nero for some other stuff).

Otherwise a lot of people reckon Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre is pretty good but again not cheap.

Others like Corel WinDVD Pro which is a damn sight cheaper (currently $50.00).

Best bet is to trial the various players and see which you like the best.

PotPlayer is also supposed to be able to do BD playback (with ANYDVDHD running)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PotPlayer

But I stopped using it some time ago in preference for MPC-HC as I prefer MPC-HCs layout etc.

I found Potplayer too confusing.

Edited by aliali

Buy DVDFabHD, rip to video file.

I know its not the solution you want, but this is why copyright only hurts the legitimate buyers of the media.

You want to watch a movie, and may have to resort to ripping it to do so. While the pirates simply started at that point and skipped the frustration.

Yes, running the latest version of AnyDVD HD (7.2.1.0)

Otherwise, its a lazy 'undo' for system files where people dont bother imaging the drive. I dont know why though; I just image once a week on schedule to an external HDD.

Kind of agree with you, there. I normally have a similar thing happening over onto my NAS, but as my room's in the middle of a major redecoration at the moment, I'm only running a skeleton system and thought, mistakenly as it turns out, that System Restore would tide me over until I'm all back together again.

Actually, I guess I shouldn't admit this on a public forum, but the bulk of my personal Blu-ray collection is ripped - for the simple fact that my lack of hand function means that: 1, I can't even open the disc cases let alone remove the discs and 2, even if they're removed for me, I still fumble them them badly enough to potentially scratch them and definitely dirty them. Interestingly, I discussed this issue with someone who had some knowledge of the law some years ago (about games, at the time, not movies, but the principle's still the same), and as far as the law's concerned, my disability is no excuse; the theory being that an able bodied person would reasonably expect to have to replace a disc if they damaged it due to mishandling - therefore, why should I be treated any differently. However, this is drifting a little off topic and into murky waters...

Right now, I'm playing around with PowerDVD 13 Ultra and quite liking it, despite that fact that it's top heavy with 3D and social media stuff, neither of which interest me in the slightest. It plays nicely with AnyDVD HD, so far anyway; I can't get at any of my French or American discs to make sure. I'll probably have a squiz at some other player options, too, though.

I guess the lesson here is an old one: never completely trust your OS, not even for a moment, and always have a rolling mirrored backup happening.

System Restore works on my machine. There may have been a case when it hasn't worked, but I can't remember. My windows 7 install got installed when it first came out (so however many years ago that was). Whenever I have problems I do a rollback and like magic its fixed. Though I'm on windows 8 now, since it's release (on my main box - win 7 on my HTPC still).

Mediaportal also has BD playback built into it now. I use anydvd hd to do the decryption then mediaportal to handle the playback. It won't do java based menus but gives you a choice of files to play if it detects them rather than just failing. Otherwise has worked like a charm for me.

Edited by discoInferno

Yes, running the latest version of AnyDVD HD (7.2.1.0)

You mean 7.3.1.0?

Yep, that's what I meant. I'm overdue for a new keyboard - one that doesn't make quite so many typos :o)