Sign in to follow this  
atosniper

Monitor stopped working - help

I was running some Monte Carlo simulations, just begun actually, when the program stopped, the screen showed pink lines across it and then the computer crashed. It turns back on but the monitor won't seem to work. It turns on and then without displaying anything goes back into power saving mode and shuts off.

Anybody help?

Running windows 8. Monitor itself is LG E2290.

Do you have another device you can test it with? Maybe another input on the monitor?

If the monitor doesn't work on something else, it's probably dead.

If it does work on something else, your PC might have problems.

Hi. Yeah, I just tested the monitor on another machine I had boxed up (and unboxed now). The monitor works fine, so I suppose my machine has spat the dummy again >_<

pink lines across it

then no monitor suggests a video card issue.

Can you check the card in the other PC or try the other PCs video card in the problem PC?

Do the usual things, re-seat the graphics card, make sure all power connectors are firmly secured, sacrifice a virgin to a volcano god...

Though if there is no output at all during boot (i.e. BIOS/UEFI screen) and you can't get it running in safe mode (press f8 while booting just after BIOS/UEFI screen) then the card is dead.

Hi

I get absolutely nothing displayed on the monitor. That is, no output at all during boot.

I'll give the reseat a try tomorrow.

I've had the card since 2007, so 6 years now. Do graphics cards die that quickly?

Edit: sorry Ali, the two cards aren't swappable as such. The other machine is about 12 years old now.

Edited by atosniper

Depends on the card, the 8800GT was notorious for dying after a year or two due to faulty solder application during manufacture.

Six years is pretty good innings for a card, depending on how often and hard it's been used.

Lol well mine is 8800GTS 640mb, so I suppose that's one of those hey. Will end up doing the card tomorrow as need to look after family member today.

Turns out it was the graphics card. Took it into the shop and they confirmed it died. Bought a new one and all gtg now.

Thanks