Hlass

National Election Super Station!

WTF did the carbon tax do? i invested 8 grand across 2 renewable energy companies that where said to "build renewable energy sources" from the carbon tax income.

Nek minnut i could probably swap those stocks for a Maccas meal, Piss poor economics.

So you gambled on these companies being able to generate an income and dividend from "build renewable energy sources" from the carbon tax income and lost out?

Then perhaps you should be blaming the right people, IE yourself for investing in a very high risk speculative market and the company directors for not doing a proper analysis of the market.

It people want to provide foreign aid they are free to do so. I don't see why Australians who are struggling should be forced to pay.

It people want to provide foreign aid they are free to do so. I don't see why Australians who are struggling should be forced to pay.

By international standards (and indeed most reasonable standards) Australia is not struggling. Things could be better, and it would be fairly easy for them to get a lot worse, but we are not struggling.

That said, the fact that the cuts (which were unnecessary in the short term, but that's a different argument) are coming from foreign aid rather than domestic Government spending is (slightly) reassuring to me as an economist - though the fact that they feel the need to make such drastic cuts in the current economic climate is VERY concerning. As a decent human being with basic mammalian empathy, however, it is utterly appalling.

By international standards (and indeed most reasonable standards) Australia is not struggling. Things could be better, and it would be fairly easy for them to get a lot worse, but we are not struggling.

That said, the fact that the cuts (which were unnecessary in the short term, but that's a different argument) are coming from foreign aid rather than domestic Government spending is (slightly) reassuring to me as an economist - though the fact that they feel the need to make such drastic cuts in the current economic climate is VERY concerning. As a decent human being with basic mammalian empathy, however, it is utterly appalling.

As much as helping the poor and oppressed in foreign countries is a noble goal, we do have issues here in Australia that need to be addressed like health and education. On the balance of it I would rather the money be spent here on the necessary things rather than over sea's where the the good we do can be washed any by the next pointless civil war.

Liberal dropped the internet filter plan, said it was a mistake...

damn right.

*phew*

Till they get elected and it will miraculously become policy again.

maybe, but maybe not. They have built their campaign around honesty and trust, if he does that (big election lies) he will lose alot of the swing voters (myself included)

Not every pollie is as much of a dishonest liar as gillard was, you also gotta remember that when there was a minority government and the independents approached Gillard and Abbott with promises to support them if they broke their election promises. Abbott said no, knowing it would cost him the top job. Thats also gotta count for something in the honesty category.

If the Libs have plans to make it to the next election and win, they have to honor this honesty campaign they built.

One way of looking at it. However, it's only really for Lib fanbois and those disgusted that a woman dared lead the country. Of course you could also consider that Gillard was prepared to build consensus like a PM should and ( which Abbott failed to do, not was too noble, just failed) then went on to preside over the most legislatively productive Parliament ever. While the Coalition did little but carp and spoil and insult her for the better part of three years in a revolting display of poor governance.

I am glad that you are so easily impressed. So is Tony.

Edited by Hlass

umm, just had a quick squiz at the news site. There was a vid of that Kitchen Cabinet programme with Annabelle Crabb.

She was doing Abbott. Now I've watched one or two of those a while back and Annabelle has always been on a one to one basis with

whoever. This one with Abbott though he was flanked with his two daughters agaaaain. So I'm wondering who was scared ?

Annabelle or Abbott ??

Yes I know it's not really earth shattering politics I'm talking about, I just didn't want to dirty another thread :)

They did have a one-on-one after the cooking was done, though. Same thing happened with Rudd, daughter involved in the cooking and then one-on-one interview where they get bast the banter.

They did have a one-on-one after the cooking was done, though. Same thing happened with Rudd, daughter involved in the cooking and then one-on-one interview where they get bast the banter.

They're a couple of wusses. The episodes I watched in full were one with Bronwyn Bishop and another with Joe hockey. Neither need to have

an offspring with them.

WTF did the carbon tax do? i invested 8 grand across 2 renewable energy companies that where said to "build renewable energy sources" from the carbon tax income.

Nek minnut i could probably swap those stocks for a Maccas meal, Piss poor economics.

So you gambled on these companies being able to generate an income and dividend from "build renewable energy sources" from the carbon tax income and lost out?

Then perhaps you should be blaming the right people, IE yourself for investing in a very high risk speculative market and the company directors for not doing a proper analysis of the market.

white collar gambling bra lol. But it pretty much comes down to good policies that work, make money and boost the economy. Bad policies full of holes just fuck people around.

white collar gambling bra lol. But it pretty much comes down to good policies that work, make money and boost the economy. Bad policies full of holes just fuck people around.

Problem is most liberal policies (especially when taken as a whole) would not boost the economy. Quite the opposite, really.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

As much as helping the poor and oppressed in foreign countries is a noble goal, we do have issues here in Australia that need to be addressed like health and education. On the balance of it I would rather the money be spent here on the necessary things rather than over sea's where the the good we do can be washed any by the next pointless civil war.

Or perhaps we could use the increase in company tax to fund hospitals and education instead of spunking it up the wall by handing it to rich people as welfare in the form of paid maternity leave that is more generous the more you earn?

Serious question: What advantage is there to joining a political party?

In what sense, as a someone who wants to stand for election or just a general member?

In what sense, as a someone who wants to stand for election or just a general member?

General member.

General member.

In the ALP the general caucus gets to vote on policy and now the leader, I can't remember how binding it is. I imagine it would also give you the chance to get involved in politics at a 'grass roots' level.

They send you T-shirts, and signs for your front yard, that sort of stuff.

Somehow I doubt the Pirate Party could afford that, but sounds interesting.

Are there disadvantages to joining a party?

Somehow I doubt the Pirate Party could afford that, but sounds interesting.

Are there disadvantages to joining a party?

Only that it costs money (maybe, I don't know about the PP), and if your inclined to join them in the first place you can just look at as a donation.

Well, according the the ABC it looks like its a fairly clear LNP win in the HoR. The only solace is that they are unlikely to follow through on their contractionary economic policies.

[edit] And ... Rudd concedes.

Edited by DaCraw

I know this is wishful thinking but would be nice to see the ALP clean house after this and get rid of some dead wood like Kevin Bloody Rudd. Quite a few others could do with kicking out too.

They really need to get some fresh meat in to the party, a few, hopefully uncorrupted, younguns with some fire in their bellies would be good.

After the result tonight, I am genuinely afraid of what Abbott will do to this country.

I was at the Election Project recording at the CH10 studio, and I was in a state of disbelief throughout Rudd and Abbott's speeches.

Abbott and Swann will screw Australia over bigtime. I can promise you that.

EDIT: Sorry, meant Turnbull, not Swann.

EDIT 2: And Hockey too.

Edited by krispy89

Swann?, As in the former Treasurer in the Gillard government, what happened there?

Probably meant dropkick Hockey.

See already their stupidity is affecting the population and they have only just won.

:P