Sign in to follow this  
ROUBOS

SSD and often CHCKDSKs

Hi,

I have an OCZ Vector 256GB SSD as my main drive. Windows 7 64bit installed.

Now every so often I get a CHCKDSK on boot.

I read on the net that some firmware updates on the SSD might fix this issue. Looks like from what I've read that I will need to format the SSD, which means I loose everything and will need to re-install windows.

Anyone had the same problem? Is there a better way to fix this without having to re-install windows?

thanks

a firmware update shouldnt wipe the drive on most brands....

a chkdsk on boot is a flag set at shutdown saying its dirty, or didn't shutdown cleanly. A bad drive\FW can cause corrpution, but if no errors are being found it shouldnt be able to TRIGGER a check itself....

Are there any issues during the disk check?

Perhaps Windows isn't being shut down cleanly (there is setting from memory to increase the shut down wait)

a firmware update shouldnt wipe the drive on most brands....

Actually M_S

Vertex 4 and Agility 4 (FW v1.3 & v1.4RC), Octane (FW older than v1.13) and Petrol (FW older than v3.12)

are destructive firmware flashes. Proceeding with a firmware update will result in complete loss of data on

the SSD. :-(

OP you should always have your data backed up anyway, if not then you don't care about losing it.

ROUBOS > I would do a disk image of your SSD using some cloning software that can be restored from bootable media just to be safe and of course you will verify the image works before continuing.

Then follow the instructions at http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...n-%28REBUILD%29 to update the SSD via bootable cd.

Or if you have a spare PC you could remove the SSD and slave it to the spare PC to do a windows based firmware update as outlined in

http://ocz.com/consumer/download/firmware/...ide_windows.pdf