discoInferno

The End for Kogan Mobile?

It looks like Kogan Mobiles days are all but over...

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/08/ispone-c...administrators/

http://www.news.com.au/technology/smartpho...c-1226699930561

I guess they could rescue the service by changing networks and resellers, but certainly the "cheap access to the Telstra network" that they've been plugging is in trouble.

I'm currently using their data only 30 day prepaid for my wife's tablet because it was the cheapest I could find, but I guess I should start looking around again.

(No statement about this on the Kogan Mobile site yet).

Edited by discoInferno

Disco; pennytel will be your next best for value.

But this is very sad. Ive mentioned before that Ive had a hand in setting up more than one Telco from the ground up, I know how hard it is to settle contracts and learn how the providers signup systems work. Kogan actually had an incredibly smooth start. The worst you can say is they disconnected a few people; and thats nothing for a brand new provider.

Since Voda and Telstra tower-share now, I hope Vodafone comes to the table. The days of 'vodafail' are long gone, they're amazinlgy good on the 850mhz band. If Kogan users are auto switched, it might just be the 'proof' Voda need to get out there to prove they're reliable again (and when you're using telstras 850mhz towers, why wouldnt you be?).

Fingers crossed. This is such a shame.

Though, Kogan as a whole has dissapointed me. Budget TV importer Kogan was cool. "the new DealExtreme" kogan is starting to feel shifty.

Edited by Master_Scythe

If AldiMobile can go direct via Telstra Wholesale, I don't know why Kogan can't do the same.

Aldi werent quite cutting it as close as Kogan.

So for the same price Telstra want to help the customer. When its as tight as Kogan, not as easy.

Just got the email - It's confirmed.

Time to start looking for something else now. :(

This saddens me. I've had nothing but the best experience with both Kogan Mobile and Kogan as an electronics supplier. Really wanted this to work out for them, and me/us for that matter.

If I've read and understood the email correctly we have 180 days to find a new provider and port our numbers and we will still be able to receive calls/sms during that time. Only 60 days of calling out though.

Edited by disolusiond

Telstra, you suck.

http://www.kogan.com/au/km/

For prepaid data (6GB of Data on their Access30 plan), nothing came close. Telstra was twice the price and 1/3 the data.

Guess I might have to jump over to Aldi whilst I look for a landline connection.

Telstra, you suck.

Hardly. Read the Gizmodo link in the OP.

Telstra Wholesale has been advised that ispONE has appointed Ferrier Hodgson as a voluntary administrator and the administrator has cancelled ispONE’s contracts for the supply of Telstra Wholesale pre-paid mobile products.

What Telstra does is irrelevant, because ispONE has gone belly-up.

That's what happens when you sell something for less than you bought it for.

Edited by SquallStrife

Telstra, you suck.

http://www.kogan.com/au/km/

For prepaid data (6GB of Data on their Access30 plan), nothing came close. Telstra was twice the price and 1/3 the data.

Guess I might have to jump over to Aldi whilst I look for a landline connection.

https://www.pennytel.com.au/penny-sim/data-plans

$25, 14gb, no contract

Add that to the $0 a month PAYG style plan

https://www.pennytel.com.au/penny-sim/plans/go-local

and you're set.

Personally I like the GoGlobal sim, as its only an extra $8 a month, and for that you get $10 credit, and untimed international calls for 48c.

So realistically, thats 20 international calls for $8 a month, no time limit.

And if you're worried about reliability:

https://www.pennytel.com.au/faqs/?fs=mhz&am...583&y=-261#

Its actually rather funny. They're provided by AAPT; untill you get into negotiating contracts, you really have no idea how much of our telecommunication network AAPT is in charge of.

AFAIK, they actually own a huge bulk of DSLAMS and rent back to Telstra in some cases; they're a secret big player.

No I dont work for anyone involved here, I just fucking love a bargain and follow the market closely.

That's what happens when you sell something for less than you bought it for.

I always thought that. I mean, the deal was amazing. Too amazing.

To be the best you just need to beat everyone else, not shit all over them.

If they'd have made it a flat $25 a month, with unlimited SMS, 300 'untimed calls' and 4GB a month; you'd STILL be the best in Australia in terms of value, and you'd have to wholesale a significantly smaller bundle. Most people seem to SMS these days not call; and 1GB a week is a good value to learn to live with (also offer a +2GB for $5 data bundle?)

But no, they had to go unlimited, unlimited, and 6GB. Which people (well within their right to, mind you) will 'abuse' and actually use it without limits. (bushi :P), as thats what was promised.

Someone NOT marking up their wholesale rates to oblivion was believable. When I saw those prices, they're not much higher than telstras wholesale rate to a 'new company'. Its insanity.

from recent reports, vodas coverage has been tops. As I mentioned, they signed a tower share agreement with Telstra, as they both got something out of it; and they're the only 2 who use 850mhz

What was going for the ispONE resellers was the Telstra network. While it varies from area to area ('sup, Caelum : p), Telstra had (mostly) better coverage for non-metro users.

48c untimed overseas calls sounds neat, but withot knowing where the outgoing POP is, it's a good chance the people I'd be calling would be paying to receive incoming international calls, defeating the point.

Personally found it cheaper/easier (cf prepaid telstra using the $30/month all-in value bundle) to pay telstra enough to have my credit not run out for 12 months, and just buy data packs as and when needed. Enough credit for occasional calls/texts, data for what I want, and my phone still accepts calls while I'm overseas.

It's a shame. Competition only resulting in better prices for the consumers.

The ALDI plan does looks pretty decent though.

I do actually.... they're the main people my folks call using the above deal.

As long as you're phoning a land line it works like ours AFAIK, we cop the charge?

Must be cheap. My father talks for hours to his mate in NY; either that or the guys happy to pay for expensive calls all the time lol.

I guess its not something you really bring up :P

Also, radio this morning I laughed, Harvey's dont waste any time do they?

"ATTENTION KOGAN MOBILE CUSTOMERS! Are you being left out in the dark by YOUR service provider? Come sign up for blah blah" Quick off the mark!

Edited by Master_Scythe

I hope Pennytel's mobile offering is better than their VoIP product.

I have lost count as to how many times Pennytel have broken their own stuff when they introduce random and unannounced changes to their service. Whirlpool is full of examples of what happens to their "customer service" when the shit hits the fan too. Phones go unanswered and no response bar a couple of representatives on whirlpool who appear to be doing "something" until whatever is broken is finally fixed.

As much as I don't enjoy paying more than I need to, I also feel that it's not always in my best interest to deal with the lowest positioned product. With mobile, I have dealt with Optus, various Optus resellers, Vodafone, 3 (in the day) ... every one had attractive offers and where it worked it worked fine but venture outside of that and it sucked.

FWIW, I find that Vodafone is in the same boat still. Sure, where the towers have been upgraded and where there is little contention for their network, it's pretty zippy. Coverage out of major metro areas is still patchy and rurally, even in major rural areas where you do get strong signal, their backhaul is lacking and speed is atrocious. There was a guy blogging around our area who was doing random speed tests on Voda's new network and it pretty much highlighted this. His comparisons ran the same as the ones I did a few years ago when I was comparing Optus, Voda and Telstra. Telstra weren't always the fastest but they were the most consistent.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Vodafone and if there is a commitment to not only upgrading their network but dealing with congestion as more people start to adopt.

State differences I guess. I'm in QLD.

And yeah since pennytel resell services when it comes to SIM and landlines, they're reliable.

They let the monkeys have some control over how the voip system works.

Lets face it, the VOIP is (or was in 2009) unbeatable value, but only has about a 90% uptime, and about a 75% "call has no odd sounds" rate. But people use it, and FWIW I think you do get what you pay for from them.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Seems pretty good. If I wasn't on/didn't need a business plan, I'd be keen on checking it out.

Voda are redoing their postpaid plans, it'll be interesting to see if the virtual resellers get different deals coming up.