Sign in to follow this  
gloric

Too Much Money - Display Discussion

So, let's say hypothetically, you could spend near $10,000+ on a new PC setup and a monitor/screen/etc.. setup. Let's also assume you couldn't spend it on anything else, you couldn't save it or otherwise (ridiculous, but let's just get that line of discussion gone and done with).

Now you've got with a high end mobo, CPU, Ram, SSDs of a decent size, raided, you've taken care of water cooling. Then comes the on-Topic questions.

- Does AMD or Nvidia fair better with a triple display setup (for gaming, obviously, but if anything else comes to mind, throw it out there)

- What do you say to a triple 27/30" PC Monitor setup versus a triple 55" TV setup (just assume said TVs have response times equivalent or unnoticeably different from monitors).

What would you do? how would you do it? why would you do it?

My situation and why I ask;

I say this from the position of gaming on a 55" Samsung 8 series TV for the past 2 years, the response time is no different from a monitor to the eye or feel (I think it got gauged at 33ms by a UK tech website in gaming mode) and I have run into no issues running it through the 6990 I purchased at about the same time.

On later note, as much as I comment on seeing a delay, I might have just been imagining it at the time. EDIT Holy damn guys. I just realised in that video that a issue I only later really caught onto was causing some delay in while I was demonstrating that Left 4 Dead input delay. What happens is the screen sometimes goes 1080i (evidenced by the black gap between the bezel and the on-screen image), which causes considerable delay, which is probably what I noticed while recording/re-watching. So even if you do notice some delay in that video, it's actually considerably nothing in comparison to even that.

Anyhow. As you might guess, I am considering a new rig within the next 6-9 months, and considering a triple display setup, which means either a 27/30" set of screens which will cost me a pretty penny anyway, or 2 more 55" TVs (I will likely purchase refurbs for much cheaper than retail as i'm not overly concerned as I was with the purchase of this first TV.)

Anyway, I thought I would put it up for discussion. Any people with actual experience with triple display setups and how they feel playing with them etc...

I've personally just not understood triple display with smaller screens as to the limits of peripheral vision on smaller displays (what can you truly "see" out of peripherals, in a gaming sense, on smaller screens, where larger screens might actually grant greater utility while gaming, but hey, I don't know, please comment :) )

Edited by gloric

for a sim three tv could be great at the correct distance

but for other uses and different types of games i think the low pixel density and large screen size would really bug me

as far as three monitors goes you really want 16:10 monitors so 24" 1920x1200 or 30" 2560x1600 the later being far to hard to run many games at even with three overclocked 7970

four titan might have enough power to get some more games playable but the more cards you add the more driver problems you get with games often running slower rather than faster

That's one thing I was considering from benchmarks I saw. 2560x setups only barely come across as playable on a Titan or similar, ona single display, and at that point, I would probably play at 1080p, which makes me think "is there any major difference that makes it worth going 30" or smaller, over 55" TVs?", but alas that's why i'm asking for any with in the know =)

Pixel density has never really bothered me. I don't sit right in front of my TV, i'm a good screen length and a half away. I used to be heavily biased towards 16:10 screens (ie. I would not go 16:9), but after making the switch I am quite comfortable with them. Can you elaborate on why 16:10 is needed?

Yo. I run a 3 x 27" rig with EyeFinity for my iRacing sim rig. works a treat and is powered by a single HD7970 @ ~100FPS with details cranked up. My center screen sits 75cm from my face and my sidescreens are angled at ~60 degrees. They're only 1920x1080 monitors but that's good because I didnt want the extra cost.

If money is no object, then I'd run 144Hz screens in the higher res (can't remember what 2560?x1440?) still in 27"'s. I havent' run 55 inch monitors but I suggest it would get very hot in between three of them. The heat from my mons, in an enclosed room (about 4 x 4 meters) makes me pretty toasty after an hour of racing.

im running three dell u271# 2560x1440 monitors and being 16:9 its very wide but feels like its badly lacking screen height in most games except sims

it would also help slightly with the fov problems you get in games

I have a large single Sammy, (I think it's about 30"), and one day was given two smaller (24") Dells. I now run the 3 in eyefinity 5760x1080 on a single 7970.

I angle fairly minimally; I don't race really but I do want the peripheral you get for full-screen first person view games, but at the same time want to use the other screens for other games and productivity, (i.e., for multi-boxing Eve or running browsers etc. while playing CK2 or Civ V, or hell, actually doing some work!)

It's personal preference i would say.

I have tried triple screen setup, but just couldn't get into them. Can't really put a finger to it though.

I much prefer a single large display.

I have a large single Sammy, (I think it's about 30"), and one day was given two smaller (24") Dells. I now run the 3 in eyefinity 5760x1080 on a single 7970.

I did not know you eyefinity with monitors of different resolution. I have a 7970 and had two 19"s and a 24" and didn't run eyefinity until I got triple 27's :/

For FWIW - get an oculus rift dev kit and get rid of monitors. haha!