Sign in to follow this  
Director

And it's war......again.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I did not explain myself at all well, it was some odd time and moving house is bloody exhausting - yes, I know they have oil, I used to fly supplies out to the Libyan rigs, but in relative terms it is not much and they do not I believe deal with America at all. Also I think that first wiki article is suspect - took a long time to hit oil in Libya, Nigeria has far more.

I suppose that if their supply has stopped that has some flow on effect, but they are not the producers that the gulf states are.

It just seems manipulative, Bank of America up to its usual tricks ?

I'm really not surprised that it may be the rebels who fucked up with CBWs, the claim they came from Saudi does, they have no official programme at all.

Cheers

Reserves in Libya are bigger than Nigeria, but it is a smaller producer for a few reasons. First, Libya has been under various embargoes since the early '80s. Second, Nigerian wells are closer to port and, hence, are more economic. Third, even after most sanctions were lifted from Libya, by that time all of the oil fields had been nationalised leaving little investment opportunities for foreign companies. Finally, even after various embargoes were lifted, have always been lingering concerns over sovereign risk, which came to fruition in the "Arab Spring".

Hmm,

Take your word for it xyz - for a long time all the wildcats struck in Libya was water, then boom, oil.

They didn't mind the water, but the oil was always going to be found.

Nigeria - hmm, spent a deal of time there, I have a sort of adopted daughter who is a Nigerian, long story that is also in the archives, she tells me they are holding back on what oil they have actually found. I am not surprised, Australia does the same thing.

Oil has a tendency to attract sharks, of the two legged variety, seeing it in Perth right now, part of the reason I'm getting out of working in the CBD before I wind up on a GBH charge :)

That's only a semi-joke, can't stand the pricks.

Cheers

For those who are still wondering about the strategic relevance of Syria:

Good vid explaining the geo-political motivations behind the coming invasion including the Iran/Iraq/Syria gas pipeline to Europe. 50 minutes but worth it.

Don't have 50 mins atm mate, but book-marked it.

I really do not see how an invasion can do any good, it's tragic, but they have to sort out their own differences.

The last thing the world needs is another bogged down foreign invasion.

We do not belong in their affairs and they wont thank us for it so what is the point?

Cheers

Hmm,

Can you summarise?

I REALLY do not have the time to watch it - sorry.

Cheers

Hmm,

Can you summarise?

I REALLY do not have the time to watch it - sorry.

Cheers

I'll try. :)

Apparently there are a few players involved, Israel, Qatar, Turkey, the U.S., Russia, Saudi Arabia and maybe a couple of others. Israel wants Assad overthrown because his rule is keeping the different groups in Syria under a tentative peace. Sunni, Shiite, Druze and other tend to get on OK. If Assad if overthrown then that will fracture the peace that currently exists and those groups will start the usual infighting and be less of a cohesive threat to Israel. Back in 2011, Iraq, Iran and Syria agreed to build a gas pipeline from Iran's gasfields (biggest in the world) straight under the Mediterranean sea to Europe. This would provide Iran with an income stream that the yanks have been denying them through embargoes and would bypass Qatar and Turkey (who were involved somehow but I forget the details). Syria has also allowed one of the other players (Russia?) to have a permanent and expanded naval presence in one of it's main ports.

I think that was the main gist of it, more details in the clip of course but it was interesting to see some of the stuff going on behind the scenes as it were.

Hmm,

My Israeli friends don't know which way to jump, as I mentioned earlier.

Russian ships in a Syrian port? Have to be Latakia I suppose, not really news, they've been visitors for decades.

Interesting overview though, thanks.

Cheers

Hmm,

Syria doesn't have many ports:

http://www.worldportsource.com/ports/SYR.php

Said Latakia because it was where the Russian Med "trawlers" used to hang out. Nice place actually.

Cheers

Tartus. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia%E2%80%93Syria_relations

"In addition, Russia's only Mediterranean naval base for its Black Sea Fleet is located in the Syrian port of Tartus."

:) Makes sense - not quite as good a place for shore leave if you catch my drift and know sailors :)

Cheers

"The father of a rebel who was killed in what's now being called an accident by many in Ghouta and Damascus said: "My son came to me two weeks ago asking what I thought the weapons were that he had been asked to carry,” said Abu Abdel-Moneim. The father said at least 12 rebels including his son were killed by the chemical weapons.

Allegedly they were killed in the tunnel that was used to store the chemicals. These were provided by a Saudi militant, known as Abu Ayesha. He is said to be leading a fighting battalion in the effort to unseat Assad. The weapon was described as a "tube-like structure" by Abdel-Moneim.

Gavlak reports that the rebels said the gas "attack" was the result of them mishandling the chemical weapons they acquired from the Saudis. She says in the Mint Press report the following:

"They didn’t tell us what these arms were or how to use them,” complained a female fighter named ‘K.’ “We didn’t know they were chemical weapons. We never imagined they were chemical weapons.”

"We were very curious about these arms. And unfortunately, some of the fighters handled the weapons improperly and set off the explosions, ‘J’ said."

The humanitarian agency, Doctors Without Borders, reported that around 355 people had died from what was believed to be a neurotoxic agent. They reportedly treated 3,600 people with symptoms of, frothing at the mouth, respiratory distress, convulsions and blurry vision.

According to the report dozens of rebels said they were receiving salaries from the Saudis."

http://www.examiner.com/article/breaking-n...hemical-weapons

Hmm,

Does sound more and more like sarin, which Saudi makes no admission to manufacturing - begs the question of where it was manufactured, most likely is dear old Russia, which is either kind of ironic or an interesting booby trap.

Cheers

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Interesting, apparently the Russkies have detected a couple of missiles launched somewhere in the Mediterranean today.

Be interesting to see what comes out of it.

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/missiles...v-1226710040337

That'll be the Yanks testing their gear for the real thing. This whole "intervention" is intended to be missile strikes. Possibly they have a few SF teams on the ground for recon, target designation and observation duties, but I don't think anyone is interested in an invasion. Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Dunno if Tomahawks need testing mate, pretty reliable - interesting.

Also do not know if the yanks have anything in on the ground, but the Brits do, Hooligans from Hereford.

Cheers

Also do not know if the yanks have anything in on the ground, but the Brits do, Hooligans from Hereford.

Cheers

Yeah they yanks say they dont have anything on the ground but id be willing to be anything that they do, it would be covert who ever it is tho.

If someone fires for effect and no one sees the effect, did it still fire?

haha

Edited by xnatex

Guest xyzzy frobozz

So cynical Director!

Cheers

You're not so much testing the kit itself as ensuring that your systems, and particularly your crew, are drilled and ready to go.

It also sends out a nice signal to your enemy and their friends that you've not rolled up to the region for the sole purpose of copulating with arachnids.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz