Flouncy

[PC] Atomic Dirt 3 Championships

On Sunday night a bunch of us Atomic F1ers had a bit of an organised comp doing Dirt 3. And the verdict was - do more!

So this is the word, going out, to anyone who'd like to join in. Cos it's bloody great fun. Signal your intention below and be there on the night! Add me as a friend in Steam and GFWL (and post your name on those if different to what you use here), plus also millen (bleak19 on GFWL), and that'll get us started for invites and stuff.

After it's over (and for the non-finalists as soon as they're knocked out) there's likely some muckabout Infected mode til we get bored of that.

What: Dirt 3 PC, rally mode

How: We divide into as many equal-numbered groups as needed (cos the game only hosts a max of 8), and do the first 5 stages (also the game's max). Then the top 8 times overall go into the final, where we do the remaining 3 stages, plus the first two to take it to 5 stages.

When: Sunday night AEDT 8pm.

Chat: Via Ventrillo, tritium.typefrag.com 35406

Settings:

Assists - off

catch up - off

impact ratings - off

force manual - no

force headcam - no

allow vehicle setup - yes

damage - full

session visibility - closed

grid order - random

Tracks:

Based on millen's suggestion, it'll be:

Kenya - Sunday Sep 1st

Michigan - Sunday Sep 8th

Norway - Sunday, Sep 15th

Cars:

Based on ET's suggestion for Kenya, then the rest up for whatever most people want (not 90s, done them):

Kenya - 80s

Norway - Pro

Michigan - Group B

Edited by Flouncy

Sounds like fun. The time doesn't work for me but if there's videos up I'll watch them!

It was great fun. I will try and get there if I can but that time is hard for me. If I'm late I'll come in for the fun stuff afterwards.

It was great fun. I will try and get there if I can but that time is hard for me. If I'm late I'll come in for the fun stuff afterwards.

We can change it to 8 for this one if it helps as it's a non-real-GP Sunday...?

E. T suggested 80's Norway.

Friggin Jurno's can't read apparently.

millen suggested the tracks (which includes Norway, or can ET not read either?) and the running order a few days before ET suggested just Norway. ET's suggestion of 80's cars has been followed. ET's opinion is valid, but is not the only one. ET needs a Norwegian hug. I don't know what a Norwegian hug is. But it probably involves a bear and a chainsaw.

*journos.

Aaaaand back to Jurno's, just because :)

Not sure about next weekend fella's, it's fathers day and I may have a small person to look after for a brother.

As for votes my only pitch would be No Vehicle Setups in the interest of keeping it from serious

As for votes my only pitch would be No Vehicle Setups in the interest of keeping it from serious

What do others think?

Personally I don't think setups make a huge difference to times, but allow you to tweak the car so its handling suits your style better, particularly with drifting and making a car balance that suits the way we each drive.

I'm ok with setups and it cant be policed anyway.

BTW, can I have your setups Flouncy? :p

Ok 8 it is. There's no reason for it to be earlier this particular weekend.

And ET yeah there's a setting for allow setups on/off in the session. But so far it's looking like at least a few don't mind setups, and only pessimist is against and he says he probably can't race anyway...

It's important to decide soon because some people may only have a short chance to practice next day or two before Sunday. So I'll leave it as setups enabled unless there's an outcry...

Track and cars - Whatever.

Setups - Don't care.

Time - Whenever.

Hey! My opinion counts.

So its decided? Kenya, 80's cars, 8pm start, setups enabled.

BTW, Kenya is freakin hard.

So its decided? Kenya, 80's cars, 8pm start, setups enabled.

BTW, Kenya is freakin hard.

Yes, it is decided. Not by me, others had the car and track suggestions, and everyone seemed happy with the game settings when we just raced, but I do believe we need to lock things in and not faff around, so yes. let's lock it in.

Cool dudes. I should be OK to make it again. Last Sunday was super awesome fun.

Not fussed on cars and tracks, so 80s and Kenya sounds good to me.

As for setups. I didn't bother with them, and when i did play around with them in some of the practice sessions, i could barely tell the difference. But i would probably lean more towards turning them off. Then its all down to driver skill baby...

Fuck Jurno's like to go on and on don't they

Heh. I thought it was some sort of Norwegian joke.

I'm keen to go again and showcase my lack of rally zen. I vote for setups off, mainly because I can't be arsed working them out and I agree with millen on keeping it more casual.

I'll put up a game of the winner's choice on steam as the prize (except planetary annihilation, I refuse to pay 90 bucks for someone to access an alpha :-p)

8pm would be a better start time for me.

G

Setups in Dirt 3 are the easiest most basic setups probably in any racing game guys. I'll tell you now the only one that matters is brake bias - rear bias makes it easier to slide the arse out in drifts, and front makes it more neutral. This is why I want setups kept in, because we all probably have different preferences to how the car drifts. It's not a speed advantage, it's a minor tweak that gets the car feeling how we're more comfortable with it. Tighter gears may be useful on some tracks, but in testing I found that overall time isn't affected significantly by this.

I understand the value of keeping it fun and simple, and will make a tally of who wants what so it can be a vote - but really - I've seen in the past in GP2 when a decision has to be made that you guys all make long posts over the course of several days, pretty much saying you're happy with either, or people look at the thread and then leave without posting an opinion (which I've seen happen with this thread and this topic), or people come in an hour before the race only to realise what they thought was agreed upon has changed, and all their practice has been for naught.

Does it really matter that much if setups are allowed?

Hah, I was thinking I would offer the same thing Greg, but I was going to limit mine to $15-$20, cos I'm a stingie bastard. :p

But in reality, we don't need prizes, if you are willing to offer it though, then I guess why not, but don't feel like we need a prize for each week.

I was inspired by Loading Ready Run's "gift a game to an Aussie day", recalling how badly we (and by we, I of course mean you) get screwed on game prices.

Regarding setups, no, it doesn't matter. The question was asked, I simply provided my opinion. If it matters to you, by all means include them.

G

Here's where it stands with those who have posted so far:

No setups

Pessimist

millen

Setups

Ploddy

Flouncy

Don't care

Ghost

grey g

ET

Can anyone who hasn't posted yet make their feelings known, and soon because practicing before knowing this is pointless (for fun, of course - me, I just wanna have a bash with my new wheel but can't til we figure this out).

Honestly I'm not grumpy about this, but I'll tell you that organising these things is a million times easier if we all stick to what was established at the outset - which I based on what we agreed upon for last Sunday's race, to which nobody objected.