Sign in to follow this  
p0is0n

How dirty is your keyboard?

I needed a keyboard and this was all I had available, an old spare that's been sitting down the side of my desk for almost a year. It wasn't actually too bad on the keys, as I used to wipe it with a cloth, but I had never pulled the keys before to clean it. It's still a decent keyboard so I thought I would give it a quick clean before using it again (as it was gross) and so this is what I found...

It has come up alright but ran out of little cotton buds to clean it, so will try and post a pic when I finish cleaning it.

Note that I think other peoples keyboards are disgusting for exactly this reason, and being in IT, I carry hand sanitizer to use after touching someone else's keyboard/mouse because they are covered in germs and disgusting. My own keyboard I keep pretty clean now, this was an old one from before I cared..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is yours this bad?

Using a Corsair K90, so all my keys float above an aluminium base, means i can vacuum it pretty easily, so no, nowhere near that dirty.

I used a G15 for like 4-5 years straight though, that was pretty dirty after a while, but I don't think I ever had that much hair in it...

but I don't think I ever had that much hair in it...

that's 10+ years worth of dog and beard hair I think.. at least I can't think of any other explanation as my own hair isn't that short.

I just finished using a keyboard over about 10-12 years. The metal bar thing in the space bar stopped working properly so it was all floppy. Pretty good for what must have been many millions of presses.

I used to clean that out about once a year. Was always about this bad, but I've been eating at the computer for many years. I would whip all the keys off with whatever, spoon, screwdriver, bang it out over a bin, vacuum and wipe the board, then wash all the keys in a bucket of hot soapy water. Came out looking like a brand new ancient keyboard.

Now I've got a Filco Majestouch 2. Which is great apart from the highly annoying lack of a windows key on the left. I haven't cleaned this out yet since I got it in like January or whenever, but I know there's at least a shitload of protein powder down in there. And if you've ever failed to wash out a protein shaker cup, you know that shit gets bio-weapon bad. So I should probably clean it out soon.

Holy crap!

I could never let it get anywhere near that on my old keyboards if I saw something down there, out came the vacuum, if that failed I'd take it apart and wash it. Now have a K60 and I can rest easy.

This reminds me I need to clean the other keyboards.

Was eating breakfast when open this thread. Bad idea... :p

I have a Logitech G110, I regularly stick the little brush attachment on the vacuum and run it over my keyboard a few times, and also wipe down the keys with isopropyl alcohol every so often. Mine looks very clean.

My old Dell keyboard was bad, I didn't take photos, but I spent 2 hours cleaning it once.

Fortunately I, like a couple of others here have mentioned, have a Corsair mechanical so the keys are raised. Does make cleaning a hell of a lot easier. Before this one though, I can't say I've ever really gone to great lengths to clean a keyboard. But I don't eat at the computer desk or anything like that so I can't imagine they were that bad.

I suppose it's not soo bad cos at least you know generally where all the hair and stuff comes from.

Your own dirt is usually not as bad as dirt whose provenance is unknown :P

Still I'd be really hard pressed to want to clean that one, think I'd just want to chuck it, or at least a layer of rubber glove between it and my skin.

You get points p0is0n for cleaning it :)

Sometime on the weekend I tend to give our boards a look at, no pets here just dust ...

Looks like you've spilled a few joints worth between the keys...

I coughed up coffee on my MS cheapie some months back, I pulled it apart and washed all the keycaps but it was nowhere near that bad.

Been using this Logitech cheapie since then, it's not too bad. Main dirty points with my KBs tend to be dust, the odd bunch of crumbs and bits of grime.

My keyboard's really dirty!

On my first day with her, I pushed her buttons a bit and let my finger hover over her space bar ever so gently and we both enjoyed that. But after a while she started asking me to do freaky stuff like flip her over and mash her down on to the desk, or nibble on her feet, or stick my finger in her USB hole.

Over the weekend, she asked me to pull really hard on her "Up Arrow" with a pair of pliers, while holding down her mute button so she couldn't scream and that really creeped me out.

I think I might have to look for another one. This one is just too extreme for my tastes...

I thought my keyboard was in decent condition. But now that I have looked close under the keys, it is really dirty. Not as dirty as in the pictures though!

I don't understand how you wouldn't mind even touching that thing.

I don't clean mine more than every 2 months, but I don't drop crumbs into it if I eating. Even just the dust on top take one quick swipe though.

Forgot to post back with the pics once I cleaned it, I couldn't do it right away because I didn't have any cotton tips to get in between the keys. Anyway, it's clean enough to use, took about 30 mins total to remove the keys, give it a clean, give the keys a clean in soapy water and then dry them and stick them back on. Gave everything a good wipe with rubbing alcohol too.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I also decided to do my das keyboard while I was at it, as I pulled a couple of keys and noticed it was getting a bit of crap down there. Did pretty much the same thing. Both very clean now, will have to make the effort to do it more regularly.

Posted Image

:)

Dude, they all get filthy, an ex-father-in-law of mine taught computing at Wesley, they were told the average keyboard has more germs than a public toilet seat ;)

I give mine a big blast of compressed air every month or so, but I can't be bothered with expensive boards any more so I get a new cheapie every year or so.

Cheers

Considering I only use laptop style, a quick wipe with isopro each day or two keeps em pretty clean.

hair still gets under there, and the odd food scrap, but overall its much nicer.

On my first day with her, I pushed her buttons a bit and let my finger hover over her space bar ever so gently and we both enjoyed that. But after a while she started asking me to do freaky stuff like flip her over and mash her down on to the desk, or nibble on her feet, or stick my finger in her USB hole.

Over the weekend, she asked me to pull really hard on her "Up Arrow" with a pair of pliers, while holding down her mute button so she couldn't scream and that really creeped me out.

I think I might have to look for another one. This one is just too extreme for my tastes...

You have issues. You'll fit in well around here...

You have issues. You'll fit in well around here...

FUCKING POTM!

Welcome, please stay, post often!