Sign in to follow this  
weredragon

port fowarding

i have a asus rt-n11 wireless router (its got an awesome range) but i cant get port fowarding to work right....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

\one pic is the virtual server the other is the status page?? but its still not working.

can anyone see somthing i did wrong...my ip for laptop (wireless) is 192.168.1.205 and the port vuze is using is 63334

Have you done a save and reboot since adding the port?

Also that is just a router, what about your actual modem? How is that set up?

What make and model is it?

Edited by aliali

yes i thought about that but i dont know how to get into it

the modem is the aapt gave us a...tomphson speed touch or something looked generic to me.

so the router IS set up prop

The second image doesn't look right - your source and destination forwarding addresses are in the same subnet (assuming a /24 mask).

Have AAPT configured the speedtouch to operate as a router? (if you don't use your Asus router, does the speedtouch hand out an IP address and share the connection among multiple computers?) If so, you should put it into bridge mode and do the routing on the Asus box only. You'll need to run PPPoE on the Asus router.

no the speed touch only has one lan and one usb and as far as i know it just a modem, other 3 desktops in the house have an internet conection so does my laptop but i cant use any program that need a port

BUT even tho i turned off dhcp... it still says on the staus page that its giving a lesse to my laptop? all my computers have a static ip addy

Edited by weredragon

DHCP leases will linger until they expire.

Plug one PC into the ethernet port of the speedtouch. Configure the PC to use DHCP.

Open a command prompt on that PC and type 'ipconfig /release' then 'ipconfig /renew'.

Type 'ipconfig /all' and post the output here.

OK. The speedtouch is configured as a router, which means you have a router plugged into a router, which is asking for pain.

Configure the speedtouch as a plain bridge/modem. Run PPPoE on the Asus router. I'm not familiar with either box so I can't provide specifics, but the user manuals or google should help.

o really, shit i know my hardware but i know shit about networking

is there anyway to make just the modem well... just a modem?

coz the router dosn't say it does PPPoE

Edited by weredragon

Which model of speedtouch modem do you have?

Normally you should see an option like "modem only", "Bridged ethernet" or similar if you look at the web interface of the modem. Unfortunately it changes between vendors, and sometimes between products. It has been too long since I have looked at a speedtouch modem, but I think if you connect directly to the modem from your computer, then go to the web interface you should see a setup wizard option. This should give you a few config options, one of which should be bridged mode.

Once that is done, connect the modem back to the router and connect your computer to the router again.

In the settings there, you will have an option to do a login to the internet. It may not say PPPoE specifically, but you should see something for a dsl login or a way to enter your username and password in the WAN settings. Maybe go through the quick setup and check what options that gives you.

Once that is done, you should have internet access again, and if you look at the status, your Internet / WAN port should have a public address (ie not 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x)

ok ill try that when i get home, what i ment with the PPPoE it doesn't actually say it does it on the router box... the modem is from aapt it has one lan and one usb i will get modal when i get home as well

thanks

ok that was on hell of an epic fail

i had to ring aapt

anyhow the guy said that the aapt tech help didn't support bridging...wtf... o well he said i could also plug the internet into the one of the lan instead of the wan to use it like a wireless switch? would that work?

Edited by weredragon

o well he said i could also plug the internet into the one of the lan instead of the wan to use it like a wireless switch? would that work?

Yes it would probably work, but is not the best way of setting things up. I have seen routers that don't pass DHCP through from the ethernet to wireless sections or a few other little issues which cause the router to play up. Not to mention you are not using the router as it is supposed to be.

If you can get us the model number of the modem, I think we should be able to figure out how to get your modem into bridged mode so that the router can do the login.

ok ill try that when i get home, what i ment with the PPPoE it doesn't actually say it does it on the router box... the modem is from aapt it has one lan and one usb i will get modal when i get home as well

thanks

Page 7 to 9 of your quickstart guide for setting up the router login.

i had to ring aapt

anyhow the guy said that the aapt tech help didn't support bridging...wtf...o well he said i could also plug the internet into the one of the lan instead of the wan to use it like a wireless switch? would that work?

Most ISP's won't support anything other than basic standard config with their supplied modem as their tech support has to follow the prompts on the fault diagnosis software. That's pretty much all they are allowed to do.

At a guess from looking at AAPts site you have the Speedtouch 510, so to set it to bridge mode run the easy setup wizard and select bridged ethernet as the option. Page 51 of the users guide.

Although before making any changes I would got to the modem's sytem page and back up your current config.

Page 60

" Click this link to display the Configuration page.

This page allows you to:

• Back up the current SpeedTouch™ configuration, restore the SpeedTouch™

default configuration, or upload a saved configuration file:"

Thompson SPeedtouch is a horrible modem to deal with, set it to bridge mode ASAP.

As others have advised obviously.

But honestly, when I worked for a VoIP provider, the three most hated modems were;

Speedtouch 5**

Speedstream (any model)

D-Link anything.

They were the worst to port forward with, the best ones were, ASUS, Belkin, Netgear, Netcomm and Dynalink.

Billion are shit too.

its a speedtouch 563 v2 and it DID NOT come with a manual of ANY SORT

and when i set it to bridge it just fucks up and i get no internet connection

Edited by weredragon

You need to set it to bridging mode /and/ setup your Asus router to connect to your ISP using PPPoE as mentioned above.

Billion are shit too.

Really? So far I think they are simple and very easy so long as your not trying to do something with your intended port in two places (port forwarding PPTP VPN ports as well as running the PPTP service on the router).

I have to say the billion routers I have configured recently are miles ahead (in terms of stability) of the linksys and netgears I have stopped supplying and supporting.