Sign in to follow this  
the_pest_xxvi

GTX570 potential upgrade

Using a GTX570 on I5 4670K on 1280x1080 res

Runs everything fine. Tomb Raider which is the most recent game I bought this year showed signs of lag/frame drops in some areas when maxed out..

I'm a huge fan of Total War and the upcoming Rome 2

Not sure what card to get. My budget is up to a GTX 780 prices. Wait an see what ATI has to offer by the end of the year or better wait for 800 series which have an integrated ARM cpu?

At the moment $760 looking really attractive and the sli option as well. I think this card will show its age once I crack everything ultra/max settings for Rome 2

Any advice?

at such a low resolution you may find your gpu is able to handle it just fine so wait and see

by then prices might be lower to

if your looking at upgrading the monitor though you will probably want a better gpu

Do you mean 1920x1080? I have an old 4:3 monitor as a secondary which is 1280x1024. If that's all you're running, your system is massive overkill and a new monitor would be by far your biggest improvement. If you just typoed and you have a normal 1080p monitor then your card should still be okay. I'm running a GTX570 on a 1920x1200 monitor and it's perfectly playable in every game I've played. The only game that has ever caused it any strife is Shogun 2 maxed out. Since you want to play Rome 2 you would need more grunt to max it out. But cranking everything all the way up doesn't make games look that much better, certainly not worth spending hundreds or thousands of extra dollars on to get 10% nicer visuals.

New AMD cards are out in a few months. So if you can wait, then prices should fall for the current cards.

But in saying that, 780 is a great card in terms of performance. Even a 770 will be a big upgrade!