Sign in to follow this  
halos

The greatest trick - data recovery or not

hi guys,

I think that I already know the answer to this gem but I wanted a second opinion.

Basically my cousin wanted to fresh instal his windows for some reason.

He has a setup with the OS on a smaller drive, with a large data drive like I advised him ages ago. So should have been a quick easy

Delete and reinstall of the is drive and then reattaching the data links to the data drive.

Unfortunately for me I mentioned briefly that he may want to use dban to start completely fresh. And he took this onboard without further consultation.

Turns out he Burnt the disk, booted from it and proceeded with the autonuke, which took out the os drive, the data drive and an unfortunate 16G thumb drive that was still mounted.

After laughing at him thinking it was a joke. I politely asked him if he had read the warning that came up and or read the instructions before typing autonuke and pressin enter. And he didn't coz it was late and blah blah blah.

So I told him he was done. Nothing to recover after a short DoD wipe

So am I right.

Regards Helos

So I told him he was done. Nothing to recover after a short DoD wipe

So am I right.

Regards Helos

Certainly sounds like you are.

Ouch...

I've formatted the wrong disc myself on one occasion - it's never pretty.

Unfortunately for me I mentioned briefly that he may want to use dban to start completely fresh.

Why the fuck people keep on recommending that I have no fucking idea. It is unnecessary as a format during install wipes the drive and gives you a completely fresh install. Dba nor any other secure wipe utility is not needed.

A short wipe will clear the drive as opposed to tombstone the files, or replace the part table.

Its still unnecessary but this is why people do it, to literally kill the files instead of just figuratively