Sign in to follow this  
Guest xyzzy frobozz

SLI in Rome 2 Total War

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Picked up the game and got straight into it. It seems that there are no nVidia profiles for it yet.

When left to the default settings, only one GPU renders. When I force alternate Frame rendering 1 or 2, performance is significantly worse than single GPU performance.

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm not the only one having this problem apparently. It would seem that there is no profiles yet for the game. Now at this point I'm forced to ask..... WTF?

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Dev to stupid to program for SLI?

Im sure I read something about them saying they were not going to enable it?

Really? Wow! Why?

To be fair, I'm pretty much maxxing out everything on 2560x1600 and it is running OK so far on GTX 680. It'll be interesting to see how it goes in the bigger battles that I'll no doubt be fighting soon.

EDIT:- I checked the TW forums very shortly after starting the game. The files took about 15 minutes to unpack, I went straight into the graphics settings and ran a benchmark. I noticed immediately that one GPU was un-utilized, to I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers and tried again. The game was released at 3pm local time, and I got onto the forum at 4pm and found 2 posts in the graphics section, both of which related to SLI.

Basically the TW forums have said it's nVidia and AMD's problem and shut down all discussion on the matter. I would have thought it in the best interests of the developers, particularly with such a high profile and graphically demanding game, to ensure they work with the GFX card manufacturers to ensure the game works from day one. It seems pretty..... expected that people would wish to run SLI/x-fire rigs with this game, and that many may well have upgraded specifically to do so.

Not the end of the world for me, it runs OK, but surprising nonetheless.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

this is very common with cf\sli and new games particularly those that dont use the same engine as a bunch of old games

stalker had crossfire problems for a long time with my 4870x2 atleast a year

witcher 2 i remember it took ~3 months to fix negative sli scaling but it only made the gpu's work ~60% load which made it stutter so bad that although the fps went from 25-35 if felt slower and it was a further 9 months before it was fixed properly by nvidia

might & magic heroes vi had negative scaling from ~40fps to ~20 with sli enabled and would lock up this went on for at least 4 months not sure if or when it was fixed

during that time nvidia was focusing on 3d\physx and those pretty lighting features for old games like diablo at the expense of other aspects of there drivers

it seemed like it wasnt until around about when titan was released that sli became a high priority again

Edited by Dasa

Guest xyzzy frobozz

this is very common with cf\sli and new games particularly those that dont use the same engine as a bunch of old games

stalker had crossfire problems for a long time with my 4870x2 atleast a year

witcher 2 i remember it took ~3 months to fix negative sli scaling but it only made the gpu's work ~60% load which made it stutter so bad that although the fps went from 25-35 if felt slower and it was a further 9 months before it was fixed properly by nvidia

might & magic heroes vi had negative scaling from ~40fps to ~20 with sli enabled and would lock up this went on for at least 4 months not sure if or when it was fixed

during that time nvidia was focusing on 3d\physx and those pretty lighting features for old games like diablo at the expense of other aspects of there drivers

it seemed like it wasnt until around about when titan was released that sli became a high priority again

Yeah fair enough.

I guess the point I'm making is that I see it as less the problem of the manufacturers and more the game developers to ensure their game runs smoothly. Surely it's in their best interest to ensure that the game works well on day one? I appreciate that the developers don't write the code for SLI/X-fire but you'd think that they would partner with the manufacturers to ensure it all works out of the box. With regards to the manufacturers themselves, I would have thought there was a competitive advantage in being the one that is known for day one compatibility.