.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.4 'KitKat' Announced

Google decided to troll every Android user today by announcing that Android 4.4 will be named KitKat (instead of the long rumoured Key Lime Pie). It's such a weird time to announce a new version, but they did, and yes, they struck a deal with Nestle to do it. So much wut.

Posted Image

http://www.android.com/kitkat/

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Heh I've been hearing quite a lot of rage over this, I find it to be pretty funny myself.

Well played google, well played.

Google spending too much time with shenanigans, not enough time giving us a v5.0.

I'm bored with android. I can't wait for it to evolve into the next thing we haven't thought of yet where it gets announced and we all go *wow*....instead of getting excited about version names.

In saying that, lol @google for spreading key lime pie rumours.

Is KK replacing KLP, or just 4.4 is being released before 5.0?

I thought the whole point is that there is no klp. Its called kk. And 4.4 would logically come before 5.0.....can't tell if trolling? Lol

No doubt they're making it 4.4 simply to fend off the inevitable fragmentation articles.

Anyway check out KiKats website. It's a parody of the Nexus feature pages. :P

http://www.kitkat.com/index-mobile.html#/home

Interestingly, Google claims no money changed hands in this deal. Mutual benefit?

I find this very amusing, though am somewhat disappointed that a registered trademark will be applied to an open-source OS. Kinda at odds.

At first I thought Google must have had some form of cash change hands, but I realised they probably will get a lot of advertising via this so it's possible they're just happy with getting their brand out on chocolate bars and to the mainstream public.

No doubt they're making it 4.4 simply to fend off the inevitable fragmentation articles.

And isn't a KitKat just an easily fragmented treat?

I find this very amusing, though am somewhat disappointed that a registered trademark will be applied to an open-source OS. Kinda at odds.

At first I thought Google must have had some form of cash change hands, but I realised they probably will get a lot of advertising via this so it's possible they're just happy with getting their brand out on chocolate bars and to the mainstream public.

Open source derivatives will call it 4.4. I doubt Nestle will care anyway, it's free mindshare and people won't get chocolate and mobiles confused.

Anyone else feel like eating a kitkat?

The plan worked! :P

Interestingly, Google's shares went up, Nestle's shares went down.

Is KK replacing KLP, or just 4.4 is being released before 5.0?

I thought the whole point is that there is no klp. Its called kk. And 4.4 would logically come before 5.0.....can't tell if trolling? Lol

If the next big release is 4.4 and not 5.0, there won't be as many major changes. JB has been around forever, relatively speaking, and the differences between 4.1 and 4.2 were relatively minimal. 5.0, whatever codename, signified big changes. 4.4? Meh, it could just be more of the same on more platforms.

You forget, difference between 4.0 ICS and 4.1JB was substantial. 4.2 and 4.3 were both still Jelly Bean. This is a new 'flavour' so to speak just like 4.1 was. They're capitalising on the perception of a minor update.

Well, I've been without Nestle products for almost 10 years now, I'm part of the boycott of Nestle products. Even though Nestle do not have anything to do with the production of Android 4.4, I will not be upgrading to it as a sign (tiny sign) of protest against Google for partnering with a company that has such a poor record as Nestle.

Oh well, 4.3 is still good and 5.0 won't be too long afterwards, I hope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

Well, I've been without Nestle products for almost 10 years now, I'm part of the boycott of Nestle products. Even though Nestle do not have anything to do with the production of Android 4.4, I will not be upgrading to it as a sign (tiny sign) of protest against Google for partnering with a company that has such a poor record as Nestle.

Oh well, 4.3 is still good and 5.0 won't be too long afterwards, I hope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

lol.

I'll be waiting for in hope of 5.0 - KitKat 2.0

Do either of you actually take a stand against anything I wonder?

It might seem silly and probably is, but I despise Nestle as a company (I miss KitKat's) so I don't want anything to do with them. I hope that a company like Google who's informal motto is "Don't be evil" wouldn't make partnerships with companies who have a history dated back almost 40 years of 'evil' acts.

You're only taking a stand against yourself by not getting the update.

Google doesn't know who updates and who doesn't. I could load custom roms all day and they wouldn't have a clue if I'm downgrading or upgrading.

But it's up to you.

Do either of you actually take a stand against anything I wonder?

It might seem silly and probably is, but I despise Nestle as a company (I miss KitKat's) so I don't want anything to do with them. I hope that a company like Google who's informal motto is "Don't be evil" wouldn't make partnerships with companies who have a history dated back almost 40 years of 'evil' acts.

What you're doing isn't taking a stand; it's just plain silly. Not buying Nestle products is great, you're denying profits to Nestle. Not updating your phone has zero effect on either Google or Nestle. No money exchanged hands between Google and Nestle. Nestle makes no money from you upgrading your device. If anything, by you not upgrading, you're saving Google some bandwidth.

Wife just melted chocolate into shapes with goodies in it, but she used Nestle chocolate, so I won't be eating any of it. The money is spent, Nestle won't know or care if I don't eat it, they have their money. I just don't want anything to do with them, I guess its as simple as that.