.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Android 4.4 'KitKat' Announced

Out of curiosity, is there anything Nestle can do to make up for what caused the boycott?

Out of curiosity, is there anything Nestle can do to make up for what caused the boycott?

They could stop their activities and try to make amends, the laws they supposedly follow were created directly because of the actions of Nestle and similar pharmaceutical companies. I'm hoping this does happen as I miss scoffing Nestle chocolate products like KitKat's and they own many other companies I like the products of like Cross and Blackwell who make Branston Pickle.

Their history is worse than their current activities, but that doesn't stop them crossing the line time and again. Plus they've not tried to make amends, only follow the law to how their lawyers can interpret it.

Edited by fabman_uk

First result in Google for "nestle fair trade cocoa" yields this link:

http://www.compassion.com.au/news_item.php?intid=1925

"Nestlé are the first major chocolate manufacturer to source all their cocoa beans for Australia and New Zealand from certified cocoa farms. All chocolate produced in Australia and New Zealand will now be certified by UTZ Certified."

Dated 11 March this year. Unsure of legitimacy but honestly, avoiding an update is just silly. Boycotting a consumer produced in a way that hurts people is one thing, boycotting a practical OS update only hurts the user.

First result in Google for "nestle fair trade cocoa" yields this link:

http://www.compassion.com.au/news_item.php?intid=1925

"Nestlé are the first major chocolate manufacturer to source all their cocoa beans for Australia and New Zealand from certified cocoa farms. All chocolate produced in Australia and New Zealand will now be certified by UTZ Certified."

Dated 11 March this year. Unsure of legitimacy but honestly, avoiding an update is just silly. Boycotting a consumer produced in a way that hurts people is one thing, boycotting a practical OS update only hurts the user.

To me the biggest problem in the world is ignorance, Nestle promote their products as being superior to breast milk, in the past they even got people to dress as nurses and told people in third world countries to stop breastfeeding and buy their products. Many children died directly because of their actions. As far as I am aware, there is not one independent research that shows formula is better than breast milk, there are paid for research's by pharmaceutical companies that say it is better though. The instructions on how to successfully use the formula is written in English in non-English speaking countries, how are they to know the ratio of formula to water?

They also claim they were going to end slavery (internationally) in the supply chain of all their products, apparently and unfortunately it is still there.

Now Nestle are gigantic as companies go, they own many other companies including Allens and they make a lot of $$$, it would be great if some of that was used to truly educate people they sell too or to free people in slavery that supply their products.

Not installing the update, is not a case of me sticking my finger up to Nestle but rather not wanting anything to do with them, that's all.

Edited by fabman_uk

Not installing the update, is not a case of me sticking my finger up to Nestle but rather not wanting anything to do with them, that's all.

+1 Million to that. People would be very surprised to find out how evil Nestle really is.

I'm more concerned about the dubious provenance of the rare earth elements used in the manufacture of our beloved electronic do-hickies and gizmos

And the slave labour used to build the devices.

But who cares about that, we need to use our phones!

Id laugh if they made the update "forced" for all compatible devices.

Why would you laugh?

How exactly could they force it?

Just make it a required download for all devices connected to the play store.

I personally stand up for a lot of things.

I'd first like to point out I respect your stance against 'evil'. That's kinda why I don't use facebook. I feel they don't offer strong enough privacy to win my membership to their 'special club'.

But I learnt long ago that fighting indirectly purely costs YOU enjoyment, while they notice no change. Really, you're giving them power over you.

As an example; You dont install the latest Android; and you miss out on cool new updates, faster phones, and all sorts of things. You have LOST something.

Nestle have lost NOTHING in this example. Perhaps if you abandoned google all together you'd have more impact.

If, however, you don't buy their products, they LOSE out on total sales, and you GAIN moral strength from supporting less evil companies.

And what have you LOST? Nothing. Chocolate is available elsewhere.

Long story short, you're letting the 'evil' company influence your decisions, giving them power, and they're keeping you from an unrelated product (simply sharing a name), depriving you of new experiences. They lose nothing. You lose life experience.

Indirect fighting has no loser buy yourself (usually).

On the tech side, I'll be interested in the 'new features' and if they actually help me as a consumer. Since 4.* they've all felt samey. They all call, sms, and surf the net very much like each other. colour me intrigued.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Just make it a required download for all devices connected to the play store.

That doesn't work at all, since Google do not release the OS updates directly to users but via the manufacturers. This is because each release has to be tailored to the hardware, since manufacturers are choosing not to release updates for most phones as you can see by the number of Android phones with an OS lower than 4.3 they cannot force the update. I suppose they could deny access to the Play Store to everyone who doesn't have 4.4, but then many phones cannot support 4.4 even if the manufacturers tried to make an update.

Long story short, you're letting the 'evil' company influence your decisions, giving them power, and they're keeping you from an unrelated product (simply sharing a name), depriving you of new experiences. They lose nothing. You lose life experience.

I'm pretty sure my life can continue without a simple phone update and again I just don't want anything to do with Nestle. I've made my little statement here online, it maybe only a small voice and has little effect, but I hope a few others will join me. When Google then look at how many users have updated to 4.4 and see not as many as they expect, they might ask why. I can only hope.

Also, HTC might not even release an update for the One X.

Edited by fabman_uk

Summary of new Android 4.4 features

- Smarter dialer. Can search for phone numbers in the dialer. Unknown numbers are automatically checked against phone directories so you know who's calling.

- Interactive Mode. Apps can completely hide the system buttons until you swipe for them back.

- Optimised for devices with 512MB of memory. Swap to zRAM, KSM, JIT tweaks, optimised system app mem usage.

- Battery life improvements across much of the API. E.g. synchronised wake alarms, batch sensor readings, step detection/counting.

- Native printing service over Wi-Fi or Google Cloud Print.

- Storage access framework. Consolidates cloud and local storage into a single list for access within any app.

- Translucent system UI on launcher (and any app which enables the flag).

- Security: SELinux now set to 'enforcing'. ECDSA support for keystore provider. VPNs are applied per user on muti-user systems.

- NFC Host Card Emulation. Secure way to emulate NFC payment cards without a secure element.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

according to the GSMArena blog, 4.4 is now seeding to Nexus 7 and 10, both 2012 and 2013 Wifi only models. Anyone received the update yet?

Can't tell. I've been ignoring the 4.3 update for months, because I'm too lazy to backup and do a clean image install to make it work.

Flashed KK on my Nexus 4 a couple nights ago. After the flash, I noticed it was saying I had half the memory I'm supposed to have so I had to clear the cache, data, reformat, and factory reset it.

Tried out GEL....meh. If it would make everything fullscreen all the time, I'd keep it, but otherwise, I prefer Apex Launcher.

Can't report on battery life as I've been getting it all setup how I like it and using it more. Noticed Google Play Service has been chewing up a lot of juice for some reason. I'm hoping it's location setting related as I made a change and am waiting to see how the battery goes after a few hours.

I can't tell any real difference from 4.3 apart from shit's grey now instead of blue themed.

I now have a sound bug when I'm playing music via bluetooth. If I have EQ settings on, and I do something on my phone like unlock it, the sound garbles up everytime so I've had to turn off EQ.

according to the GSMArena blog, 4.4 is now seeding to Nexus 7 and 10, both 2012 and 2013 Wifi only models. Anyone received the update yet?

No update as of now for my 2012 Nexus 7 so far.

I haven't installed the updates because I have custom crap on them, so I need to sort that out. Loving my Nexus 5 with 4.4 though! Hoping the new camera API speeds things up in the next minor update.

Flashed KK on my Nexus 4 a couple nights ago. After the flash, I noticed it was saying I had half the memory I'm supposed to have so I had to clear the cache, data, reformat, and factory reset it.

Tried out GEL....meh. If it would make everything fullscreen all the time, I'd keep it, but otherwise, I prefer Apex Launcher.

Can't report on battery life as I've been getting it all setup how I like it and using it more. Noticed Google Play Service has been chewing up a lot of juice for some reason. I'm hoping it's location setting related as I made a change and am waiting to see how the battery goes after a few hours.

I can't tell any real difference from 4.3 apart from shit's grey now instead of blue themed.

I now have a sound bug when I'm playing music via bluetooth. If I have EQ settings on, and I do something on my phone like unlock it, the sound garbles up everytime so I've had to turn off EQ.

Apparently all the new UI stuff is disabled on Nexus 4 and/or restricted to Nexus 5. Lame right?

Apparently all the new UI stuff is disabled on Nexus 4 and/or restricted to Nexus 5. Lame right?

It's definitely not disabled, it's just that the default launcher is the default AOSP version, whereas the Nexus 5 ships with the Google Experience Launcher that's part of the Google Search apk. I'd be very surprised if Google doesn't update Google Search on the Play Store to make this available to all 4.4+ devices.

Cant you just...... switch it on? That's the purpose of OpenSource isnt it?

Not all of Android is open source.

It's definitely not disabled, it's just that the default launcher is the default AOSP version, whereas the Nexus 5 ships with the Google Experience Launcher that's part of the Google Search apk. I'd be very surprised if Google doesn't update Google Search on the Play Store to make this available to all 4.4+ devices.

Ah, OK, makes sense.