Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AccessDenied

D&D Atomicans.. Noobs especially

Players at present expressing interest:

Poison

Master Scythe

PWarren

Da-Craw (<- willing to give up position for a noob as he's played before)

If people are still interested STILL POST! There is room. I can adapt and change things around. Trust me on this.

In mid October, I will send a PM out. This will be the organization phase. We should be gaming by mid-late October. It will take a little longer as I'm guessing we will have to sit down and discuss character concepts. Party builds. So on.

----------------------------------------------

OK.. I've done a few games online before. I've run it by doing a google-hangout with Map-tools. I then had a major hiatus. I got depression and things sucked and I couldn't create the adventure. BUT I LOVED DOING IT!

So it's time. I want a party. I want to do a D&D game. I'll run it via Google Hangout. (spectators allowed of course.. Heckle. Cheer. Jeer).

I'm going to run a 'modernized' classic. "White Plume Mountain". This was written by Gary Gygax. The 'godfather' of D&D. The modernization will be done by me.

The requirements:

Google+ account.

-----------------------------------------

I'll do the rest.

I won't insist on maptools. It was handy for gaming, but for new people it maybe too much.

The combat and adventure will be narrative.

Dice rolls will be done via website.

If you don't understand character creation, I'll create one for you. If you want to create your own, I'll assist.

---------------------------------------------

Here's what I want:

4 - 6 players. Preference given to newbies who want to learn. Preference is given to 4 players. But if 1 - 2 people insist that they MUST play because they want to know, I'll adapt it to you.

It will be played under D&D 3.5 rules. (Don't worry. You won't need books/charts or whatever. I'll explain it all)

Here's what I insist:

D&D 4th ed DOES NOT EXIST! It is an abomination. You will be shunned.

-----------------------------------------

I thought about putting this in gaming. But I want this to be a community thing. It's an event. ALL will be invited to watch. (If mods disagree, and feel this belongs in Gaming.. So be it. But I want Atomic Community which is why I put it here. It's a gathering. Just online)

Who wants to learn the wonders of D&D?

BTW... First in, first served. IF any other member who has played before and wants to chip in about this, do so. If anyone has played before with me as DM (Looking at a select crew) and wants to chip in, go for it.

AD

Edited by AccessDenied

Man, I would love to give this a go, but I'm working on a shitty connection and though wifi. I very much doubt I can keep a hangout running reliably.

Word from a player of 15+ years to anyone taking this up: SERIOUSLY consider taking a Human Warlock. Really.

I'm interested, depends what night it's being run on and so forth.

Depending on what tools you plan to use I may also choose to not take part to avoid making accounts with entities I consider untrustworthy.

I'll need to know more details!

interested Pending dates.

Ive played 2 games of 4th ed, never played 3.5.

I will warn, if I play the character I like to, cover your loopholes.

My last character is logical to a fault, and a 'greater good' type of fella.

We had a pub owner ask us to kill a necromancer, but the whole town said no, he's fine, please just leave.

Player knowledge? Its an obvious quest hook.

Character knowledge? The town is armed, asking me to leave, after one dude asked me to do something. He's the odd one out, off I go, leaving.

unrelated, but.....

I cannot stress this enough, just CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH! Watch "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising" by the Dead Gentlemen its truly amazing intermediate cinema. You can watch the first 'gamers' first, but its nowhere near as good, and I dont think you miss anything. Its also free to distribute and share all their work, so you can download it\torrent it; but do donate. They're bloody gods.

If you'd like a taste of their humor, watch Journey Quest on youtube, for an episodic adventure.

How many rounds did your sorceror last juggs? I can rules lawyer too.

However, it's for beginners. The books will be limited. If you get warlock, so do I, and I'm awesome at munchkin them. my last warlock played did 18d6 damage with the option of going 24d6. For New people, this means I roll a6 sided dice 24 times. It was a guarantee hit and no resistance against. This is close to godlike in d&d. especially for level 10. critical (double damage) was impressive.

However, I play for story. Not for party kills. and if Hector plays, it would be funny. The dice hated him. I think he made it through one, maybe 2 combat concious. The rest, always taken down. Sometimes by friendly fire.

dates are discussable. It will be based on Australian Eastern times.

AD

Oh. and sir substance. Google + account. That's it. If we use tools it will be map tools. I host my own server. You don't Sign up. I issue you a username and password. No emails required or requested. Hope that puts your mind at ease.

AD

AD isn't afraid to slap you down if you're being a dick. He'll turn your character to paste, should you try and play funny buggers.

He wasn't being a dick. He was neutral, and not a paladin, so honestly? I saw no problem with him messing with corpses if thats what he's into (but we hadnt seen any).

The town insisted he was welcome, and only one barman said kill him. Sounded like a personal vendetta.

Also, on top of that, it was a "I dont have much gold to offer, but please" type request.

So....

Personal hitman?

Not much reward (assassins aint cheap)

Being forcibly removed from this town by the villagers

Havent actually SEEN any undead.

Not sure my character would care much, if I did.

I had plenty of reasons to leave. He voiced this to the party, majority vote agreed, and we left.

Meanwhile the DM is completely stuck, because he had backup plans for paths during the quest, but he didn't think we'd completely walk away from the quest hook.

The DM was new, and aimed for that "please help us, only I know the truth" type quest.

But he kinda forgot to put any reason to trust the dude in, and any real reward or incentive.... despite it being our first ever game, and in 4th ed, I dont think he expected us all to understand the difference between player knowledge and character knowledge.

I knew what he wanted, my character didnt :P

Yeah. Plot hooks can be difficult. You don't want to turn the adventure into a railroad (Defeats the purpose of "Role playing").

It would have probably worked if you heard 'dark mutterings about the village' whilst adventuring. Turn up. Noone knows anything, but distrusts the barman. Barman mentions he maybe able to help.

Bam. Plothook which hopefully will entice.

But. I'm going a pre-written adventure. Just cause.

AD

Google + account.

I'm out then, I'm afraid. I stay away from social media sites :)

Think you can access it directly via gmail.

Sir_Substance, I dont trust them anymore than you do, but use fake details and do it through a free open proxy and you'll be golden.

Though considering you're one step more paranoid than I am, I assume you have a VPN :)

Sir_Substance, I dont trust them anymore than you do, but use fake details and do it through a free open proxy and you'll be golden.

Though considering you're one step more paranoid than I am, I assume you have a VPN :)

I prefer to stay well clear, sorry.

Not intended as a judgment on or an insult to anyone here, just a general life policy thing.

If you are on Gmail and not Google+ you can only do 1-on-1 Hangouts. Not group.

Need a Google+ account to do more.

At the end of the day, I don't think there are any viable options that'd work with what Sir Substance wants. I need to be able to share screens and the like. Hangouts allows me to do it. Skype and things like that don't.

It's just how it is. Perhaps Sir Substance can find someone locally who could run a game face-to-face. (or perhaps he could find a noob that wants to play, and go to their house when we run this game and share his G+ account. I can handle 2 people on 1-screen hangout session)

AD

I'd be pretty keen, but will depend on what times we're talking as im in WA, used to play 3rd ed as a kid, but we didn't know any good GMs so it always kinda sucked.

My son is not 'settled' (In bed and not asking for kisses/cuddles/drinks of water etc) until about 8:30pm (About 6:30 WA). If we call it a 9m AEDT/AEDST start, with a 90 minute session. (10:30pm finish) that'll be 7 - 8:30 WA.

Would that kind of work?

AD

My son is not 'settled' (In bed and not asking for kisses/cuddles/drinks of water etc) until about 8:30pm (About 6:30 WA). If we call it a 9m AEDT/AEDST start, with a 90 minute session. (10:30pm finish) that'll be 7 - 8:30 WA.

Would that kind of work?

AD

should be fine for me, so consider me quite interested, cheers :)

I'd be up for it, but I was in your last game and had played before that so I wouldn't want to take the place from someone who has yet to be introduced to D&D. Count me in if you need a 4th player.

I'd probably play a support/social bard, so I could easily fit into a 5th slot without upsetting the balance TOO much.

Well, I know almost nothing about D&D and would like to learn, definitely keen to join in AD!

I'll read up about character creation, and any sites you guys recommend, but happy to play a pre-canned one.

First and foremost: http://www.d20srd.org/

That's your goto site for the majority of rules.

Second up: http://pcgen.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html

This is a free, open source character builder. There are things it won't do, so you might come up with a build that you can't make with the generator that you can on paper, but overall this thing will save you a lot of headscratching.

Thirdly: http://dndtools.eu/

This is a reference resource, so it's got a large overlap with the first one, but unlike that one this is organised by skill and feat rather than by book. If you have heard about something you want to be able to do, but can't find the rule for it, this is a great thing to have on hand.

And fourth: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1008946

This one is a tap into the D&D community optimisation forum. ie: How to push the rules to breaking point. ANYTHING YOU GET FROM HERE YOU HAVE TO RUN PAST AD FIRST! Even if he chooses to be really generous with his rulings (and I don't think I'd count on that if I were you), there is shit in here which is just plain broken - most GMs will outright ban some of the suggested builds in here! The only reason I include it is that it might give you some clues on how to heterodyne some abilities that you hadn't thought of, and thus get a better build.

Gaming tends to be more fun if you build around an idea rather than "How can I tweak it by 0.2%"

Last character I played was a gnome fighter who specialized in disarming. Hardly optimized, but was hell fun. Especially when the DM threw a big creature at us. "Disarm" (Succeed). Big creature attacks. "Does he have improved unarmed?" "No" "Right. Attack of opportunity for all in melee then."

You get the idea, even 'weak' characters can be powerful. I couldn't hit hard, but I could reduce an enemies effectiveness immensely, and make it so we got more hits than you could imagine.

AD

Oh, I agree totally, AD. Still, it's useful to know what some of those tweaks are, so when you're choosing new feats at 5th (or whatever) you know that as a fighter it might be more useful to pick up 'A' rather than 'B'.

Or, maybe it's just me. I like to know what I can do before I proceed to do what I wanted to in the first place. ;)

For sure. I appreciate that there are 'useless' feats. But sometimes they're not useless.

Eg. The feat "Extra skill". Sounds useless. But it can build quite usefully. eg. A human rogue (Human for bonus feat at 1st level) that take "Perform" as the extra skill. Sounds silly until you consider you can build into a shadow dancer far sooner and actually get a really powerful character. Nothing says Death on a backstab like "Hide in plain sight, shadow jump" Hasted? "Hide in plain sight, shadow jump to flank, BACKSTAB!" Rinse, repeat.

AD

Indeed. But that's one of those things that newbies don't usually think of, but is listed in the optimisation stuff.

Anyway... It's there. Whether or not anyone refers to it (or copies builds directly) in this game, anyone who goes on to play in other games might like to have it.

Certainly, but it's worth looking into not only how to build your character concept, but also how to make that character concept work to the same degree of effectiveness as the rest of the party. One can conceive of a low-str high-cha/int tripper/disarm/tactician fighter (honestly, picture most Errol Flynn characters). Actually making this concept work mechanically can be somewhat counter-intuitive.Going with the obvious choices will leave you with a character that can't actually do what your character concept calls for. Once you get it built it is fun to play, sure, but you still need to put in the effort to plan it out first.

That said, a lot of what is discussed on those boards really isn't applicable to a basic core-only campaign with new players. Leaving aside the TO builds (they are theoretical only, they typically involve abusing highly questionable interpretations of rules that no sane DM would allow) - so PunPun, Hulking Hurler, Chuck E Cheese etc are out - the caster supremacy views of those boards are based on assumptions which just don't play out at this level of play. It takes a fair bit of knowledge about the game mechanics and tactical skill to play a Wizard such that stinking cloud is better than fireball, though everyone on those boards will claim that it's a no brainer. Similarly the premium they place on the utility of magic if you have the right spell on hand (which they assume you do) falls down if you don't know the game well enough to know what spell to cast when and how to predict what you will need. A fighter can always do what you expect them to. A Wizard can be godlike or useless depending on what they have prepared. At this level, a reliable fighter is a better way to learn the game, and may be more likely to be useful in any given encounter, even though a perfectly played wizard can be more powerful/have more effect on the course of the battle.

Still, once you have an idea what you want to build, those boards (and a few others I could name if asked) can be a useful resource in bringing that concept to life.

Also, AD mentioned that this will be based on a classic module. If it dates back to AD&D (updated to 3.5) it will place far more of an emphasis on how you play your character than how your character is built. Quick thinking and creativity will do far more than an extra +1d6 fire damage per attack.

[edit]: for the uninitiated to TO (theoretic optimisation) boards: Pun-Pun is a build that abuses various poorly worded rules to give a kobold arbitrarily high stats and every possible ability. Hulking Hurler is a prestige class, but is also the name of a build which exploits template stacking rules to do damage which requires extended Knuth up arrow notation. Chuck E Cheese is a build which exploits action-granting rules to exceed the speed of light. All of these are thought experiments. They were attempts to see where the rules break down in absurd ways.

Try to play one and you will have several books thrown at your head. Even over the internet. AD will find a way.

CO means character optimisation, and generally refers to building effective characters that a sane DM would actually allow in a real game. Note that every DM differs, and so what is allowed by one may be refused by another. Rule 0 is key here: if your DM (in this case AD) says no, then the answer is no and you should stop asking. Even if there is a contrary rule printed somewhere, the DM's word is final. Within these constraints, and any other constraints imposed by the DM (such as which rules or books are allowed), CO seeks to make your character as effective at your intended role/concept as possible. Note that there are levels of CO, and it is generally accepted that you should not seek to eclipse, outshine, or render trivial your party. It is more fun if everyone can contribute, so you should only optimise your character to be on par with the rest of the group. Some character concepts will take more effort than others to reach that point, but the basic idea is that you should make a character that will fit in with the party rather than outshine them or drag them down.

Edited by DaCraw