Sign in to follow this  
AccessDenied

D&D Atomicans.. Noobs especially

Wizards are only OP'd until they encounter an elder dragon that has magic resistance and can swallow whole.

Every class has a weakness. Wizards/sorcerors. Put them against a grapple.

Fighter? High AC/Dmg reduction.

Rogue? Constructs

You get the idea. There is always a counter. A DM has so many tools it's fun/scary. Whatever you can throw at a DM, they can throw at you.

Who said I have to use the monster manual? Why can't a villain be rolled from the same rules as the players handbook? I can break a character as much as you?

------------------------

OTHERWISE, ignoring side-track.

I'll list a few people in OP that expressed interest and message them. We'll see if we can get something happening. It will likely be end of October onwards. (I'm busy until mid-october).

My emphasis will be on having fun. Not killing players. Not letting it be a cakewalk. (It's no fun to 'roflstomp' the game. I appreciate a good crit as much as anyone. But it shouldn't be every combat).

I don't give a 100% guarantee your characters will survive, but I will guarantee that you as a person will get to play 100% of the game. Even if I have to 'write in' a replacement character.

AD

I agree entirely. My point was that while those board were useful, one needs to be careful of the assumptions they make. A good DM can, should, and will challenge any PC. Those boards (with some DM oversight) just help to make sure that all PCs are at roughly the same level of power, which helps to make the DMs job easier. A God Wizard, DMM Cleric, Ubercharger fighter, and Vow of Poverty Monk is a very bad mix. The important thing is balance. All players should be equally powerful overall, even if some are more useful in specific scenarios.

[edit]: Just to be clear: This is the players' responsibility. The DM should make sure that any new players are welcome, and that their characters are built appropriately for the campaign, but the existing players should build their characters to be as powerful and useful as the rest of the party and not to eclipse them. CO boards should only be used by players to make sure that their characters meet this standard.

That said, one can always play down a strong character. The important question is whether the other players are having fun or whether they are being outshined.

Edited by DaCraw

That said, one can always play down a strong character.

Equally, a Tier 1 character (eg: optimised Wizard) can be less effective than a Tier 3 (eg: non-optimal Thief) if played badly. The player's imagination and creativity matter more than the numbers.

That said, one can always play down a strong character.

Equally, a Tier 1 character (eg: optimised Wizard) can be less effective than a Tier 3 (eg: non-optimal Thief) if played badly. The player's imagination and creativity matter more than the numbers.

That's kinda what I meant :p

Well, I know almost nothing about D&D and would like to learn, definitely keen to join in AD!

I'll read up about character creation, and any sites you guys recommend, but happy to play a pre-canned one.

What kind of character would you like to make? While none of us would dictate your character to you, hopefully the more experienced posters on this board can help you to create a character that fits your concept.

If nothing else, we can tell you that choosing Con as a dump stat is a bad idea :P

(Constitution, or Con, determines your HP as well as your Fortitude save, which is used to protect against a range of nasty effects such as poisons and diseases (which can cause attribute damage) and other impairing effects. It is generally not something that you want to neglect.)

Sorry about delays. I think we've nearly got numbers.

Just been insanely busy. We've a friend that is getting married soon and we're (Wife and I) are helping on a number of background things in the leadup.

However, think about what you want to do. When all else fails, I bend rules/game to fit. If you all want to be barbarians, it will probably be hilarious, and I will work to make it fit.

AD

Omg .... my brother was a huge old school D&D player 25 odd years ago and it's been about that long since I've played as well.

Would LOVE to join in, but I just don't have the time to dedicate at the moment. I hope there will be opportunity again later !

OK... I got side-tracked with real life. This is still 'happening'. Still putting the call out if anyone wants, otherwise, I'll go to first post and start drawing from that. We have enough people. I have the module. (Just need to re-write it to 3.5 and newbie friendly. Not a drama, but will take a week or so based on my available time)

Would this be easier if I coincide it with school/uni holidays (For those interested)

AD

i think school and uni holidays are at different times in every state, but it doesn't make much difference for me. will keep an eye on this thread again now that things are picking up.