Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

Amiga, Hard Disks, and Me.

I have an Amiga A1200, with the factory 40MB HDD fitted.

I have a few spare 2.5" HDDs: 1GB, and 20GB.

My first question is which of these would be most suitable?

My second question is, lacking a set of Workbench installation floppies (or any floppies for that matter), is there a way I can transfer the system from the 40MB disk to one of the larger disks? Would Ghost do the trick?

Lastly, what's the best RAM upgrade available for the thing? How much is an upgrade going to set me back?

Edit: On a positive note, using a serial cable I was able to get the thing 802.11b equipped! Sadly, the massive Miami TCP/IP stack ate up all the available memory... Everything I read points to this being the preferred TCP/IP stack, but is this what's best for my system?

Edited by SquallStrife

No. It's a Retro Computing issue and since there's no such Forum, Consoles is the closest fit.

You could image copy the smaller drive to a large one but then you might need (on the Amiga) to patch it's partition table to reflect the increase in size.

Actually, you' might do well with 40 meg for the System area, then split the remainder among 2 or 3 partitions.

NFI if the Amiga will recognise that it's a larger drive with unallocated space or if you'll need to bash some bits.

On the PC side, a utility that can just do a direct sector copy without regard to partitioning or file systems would be the WTG.

As for creating Workbench floppies, you can download them as ADF images. Since the later Workbench versions allow MSDOS transfers natively, it shouldn't be too much of an issue regenerating system floppies.

You might have to split the image into 2 parts then transfer and rebuild them. Then use a utility on the Amiga which generates a real floppy from the ADF image.

I sold my A1200 about 2 years back. I'd almost regret it, if I didnt have bless-ed emulation.

Mine had a 4gig drive which was plenty, I'd say the 1gig would do the trick but it depends on your data gathering. Original AmigaDOS cant read disks >4gig if I remember right.

I have a nagging feeling that you can write the disk using WinUAE's HD access features on the PC and plug that straight into the real Amiga and have a working setuo, but Ive never attempted this myself. Much easier then tracking down ADFs and finding a working copy of cross-dos and all that.

Have a look here for more info and Amiga-centric advice: http://www.amiga.org/

good luck & have fun!

/yawn, back into hibernation.

Edited by coldfish

Well, the 1GB disk turned out to have some other faults, so I left it alone.

I popped the 20GB disk in, and HDToolBox only showed up 160MB of storage, and the same happened with WinUAE. So I partitioned it and installed Workbench in WinUAE, and it worked instantly in the real A1200.

I've left it at that... it's more than 40GB, and the thing's on the wireless network, so I can transfer files off and on as I need to.

I'm still not sure what to do about the RAM... Miami takes up LOADS of memory, surely there's a lighter solution?

Edited by SquallStrife

OK, managed to get the thing to recognise 4GB of the HDD, there were some options in HDToolBox I wasn't aware of.

So now I have 2x2GB partitions. Much better.

I also upgraded the TCP/IP stack to MiamiDx, which is a little better RAM-use wise, got about 600k free with MiamiDX and AExplorer loaded.

I'd still like to expand the RAM if possible, so if anyone is selling, or knows of someone selling a Blizzard (or similar) expansion card, let me know! Heck, even a Fast RAM card (no additional processor) would be great! :)

Edited by SquallStrife