retiredfromlife

Problems Starting My PC

Starting last week it now takes me about 6 to 8 presses on the case on button to start my PC. I also have to hold the button a few seconds as well to start the PC.

The case is a corsair 800D.

Power supply corsair 750 Gold

Motherboard is a socket 775 Gigabyte.

After the PC has been on awhile it starts with less presses on the on button. If I cycle it a few times, it often starts with one press if it has been running awhile, but it still need to be held a few seconds.

Do this sound like a switch, power supply or other hard ware problem?

If it sounds like the switch, where could I get switch with the cable and plug, plus some sort of bay device to mount it in?

Any help would be appreciated. not too hard to out together a PC but fault finding one is, especially if you do not have spare parts to swap and test..

Regards MarkL

could be the switch but mb seems most likely maybe psu

thankfully its easy to test

where the case switch connects to the mb just short across those two pins for a moment and it should power on if it doesnt then its not the switch

unplug the psu and put a paperclip or wire of some kind between green and black on the 24pin lead it should power up while that wire is connected if not and you have done it properly then the psu is at fault

edit

if it seems like the mb also try with as few things plugged in as possible (so just cpu\mb\psu\hsf) just in case a component is drawing to much power at startup due to a fault and the psu is shutting down to protect things

Edited by Dasa

If the connectors for the case to the motherboard is separate, then a good test is to connect the reset button into the power pins and try the reset button to power on/off the PC.

If not, then it still may be the PSU or motherboard itself but it is hard to test without spare parts around.

Only 2 things.

1. the switch itself, or 2. overclock settings.

If the computer is powering up, but nothing happens, your motherboard is unhappy with something; usually RAM settings. If you have ANY performance settings on your motherboard, switch them OFF. Turn them away from AUTO and set them correctly. Disable any 'boost' technology.

The reason I suggest this, is because if its powering up and you 'flick it on and off' a few times with the power button, it'll be triggering 'fail safe OC' protection, and loading the default minimum speed BIOS.

a faulty GPU can cause this too, wipe the connectors with Isopro (or isocol if you dont have the pure stuff, but let it dry) and reseat them.

If its the switch itself, so the power button does squat when you push it, try connecting the reset switch to the power switch location, then use that button as power.

If you case doesn't have a reset switch, pull the connector off and use a key, or a screwdriver (some coins work) to bridge the pins, and see if that powers it up.

If the connectors for the case to the motherboard is separate, then a good test is to connect the reset button into the power pins and try the reset button to power on/off the PC.

If not, then it still may be the PSU or motherboard itself but it is hard to test without spare parts around.

Good suggestion. I swapped the switches over and I still have to press many times and hold for a few seconds to start the PC so not the case switch.

The PC is not over clocked or anything, just a stock PC. No extras plugged in either.

So I suppose it is mother board or power supply.

I found the receipt from when I purchased this one. One month less than three years so the power supply and mother board should still be in warranty.

Think I will just take this back since the faulty parts may still be under warranty. Especially since fault finding is not my best skill, if I d not have replacement parts to swap out and I do not have a mother board and power supply.

Regards MarkL