Sign in to follow this  
ladyofbow

Gaming Desktop

Hi !

I'm looking to build Gaming desktop with budget around $1500 - could stretch it a bit if needed. I would prefer that all part can be bought from Msy.com.au / Sydney since i might have them to do the assemble the Desktop as well. I've been using Laptop for past 2 years, so i'm not quite sure what part i should be looking for.

As far as i know, i would need these following :

• Intel processor i5 / i7 - Wont overclock just gonna go with stock
  • Nvidia graphic card ( GTX 660 Ti ) - optional as i'm not quite sure but the game i played having trouble with Radeon card, so i would go with NVIDIA
  • Custom Silent CPU Fan + Cases
  • Window 7 ?
  • Sound Card
  • Monitor & Keyboard

Game i played: Path of Exile

Thanks !

did a little reading and it seems most of those saying bad things about amd are fanboys or those jumping to conclusions with nvidia users saying they are suffering the same problems

the most beneficial things for the game seems to be a fast cpu and a ssd

thrown in a overclockable option even though you have no interest you just have to set the multi to ~44x and up the vcore a few notches to get a big performance boost so its a good way to extend the usable life of the pc when it starts getting slow

non overclockable option with a faster amd gpu

i5-4670 $235

AsRock B85M-HDS $86

8G Kit 1600 $80

3G 7950 Gigabyte $299 (comes with 3 free games)

$700

overclockable option with a slower nvidia gpu

i5-4670K $269 + hsf CM Hyper 212 EVO $37

AsRock Z87M-PRO4 $128

8G Kit 2400 G.Skill Ripjaws-Z $106

2G GTX 660Ti MSI N660TI-2G $239

$779

Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 250G $191

SATA DVD RW Samsung $18

Antec EarthWatts- Platinum 450 $119

Fractal Design Black-Mini $128

ViewSonic VA2451M 23.6" $159

Microsoft Desktop 600 $16

Logitech G300 $29

OEM 64 bit MS Win7 Home Premium $108

$768

totals

$1468

$1547

mb has sound

you can add a soundcard if you want but you would need decent speakers\headphones to see a clear improvement from it

if you wanted to save a little cash you could get a cheap $50 case

Edited by Dasa

450W power supply would limit potential video card options for the future. This is fine if you like to replace the whole system when you get to the point of needing to upgrade but 18 months from now you may find you just want more graphical power for your next game of the moment.

I'd aim at 650W for a bit of room to play with. Not sure you'd find anything as energy efficient as that particular Antec model while keeping it affordable, this isn't a priority for me personally even though I do aim for the Gold ratings where possible.

450w should be fine without any heavy overclocking unless you move to a dual gpu card like 7990 then 650w would be warranted

most gpu these days use under 200w while gaming other than the very top end models 7970ghz\gtx780\titan which all use slightly over 200w

just buy another good value card in a few years time and it should be all good with current trends striving towards higher efficiency in tech

psu does only have a 3 year warranty though i tend to like a psu with 5-7 but msy has limited stock

Edited by Dasa

Hi there, thanks for listing the part. I posted the list into the game official forum. Few ppl suggested that i should go into GTX 700 series instead 600, some of them owned and claim that GTX 660 Ti still lags abit occasionally.

If i would choose GTX 760, do i require to replace other part as well ? like PSU ? Thanks

You should get at least 500W (and a good branded PSU as well) just to be safe.

600W for future proof in case you decide to go for an even higher end GPU.

Hi there, thanks for listing the part. I posted the list into the game official forum. Few ppl suggested that i should go into GTX 700 series instead 600, some of them owned and claim that GTX 660 Ti still lags abit occasionally.

If i would choose GTX 760, do i require to replace other part as well ? like PSU ? Thanks

gtx660ti and gtx760 are very similar cards and its sure as hell not worth paying much extra for

the gtx760 only uses a little bit more power ~150w while gaming which is probably still less than the 7950 oc i suggested

for only $10 more than the gtx760 you can get the gtx670 which is a faster card

mind linking us to your post

Edited by Dasa

gtx660ti and gtx760 are very similar cards and its sure as hell not worth paying much extra for

the gtx760 only uses a little bit more power ~150w while gaming which is probably still less than the 7950 oc i suggested

for only $10 more than the gtx760 you can get the gtx670 which is a faster card

mind linking us to your post

Here;

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/527695

Only one dude suggested particle effects could cause a problem.

Even then, it'll probably have a lot to do with what your settings are in the control panel. I dont kow about NVIDIA these days, but AMD lets you specify how much weight it puts into figuring out AA\AF and other effects, from "high performance" to "max quality" with about 5 steps in between.

Also, surely that game has a 'particle effects' option?

If not, the ONLY setting you'd need to drop would be shadows from max, to high. (or high to medium, however it talks).

While shadows arent a particle (usually) they take huge effort to process.

ok main reason they are suggesting the gtx 760 over the 660ti is that it is typically about the same price so fair enough but at msy it is ~$100 cheaper which makes the 660ti a easy choice

Hi there,

Finally sold my old laptop, took a while i know :/ And now i could spend up to $1800 for the desktop.

I made few changes based on what Dasa quoted previously, went to MSY tried to grab the part. Apparently 4 parts were out of stock

Here's the list: ( Made few changes on Case, PSU, Graphic Card and MB )

ASRock Z87-EXTREME4 $189

Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212 EVO $37

i5-4670k $265

Seagate SATA3 1TB $67

SATA DVD RW Samsung $18

OEM 64 bit MS Win7 Home Premium $108

Fractal Design Define R4 Black $148

Out of stock:

8G Kit 2400 G.Skill Ripjaws-Z $106 ( Trident X - Both of out stock )

Antec EarthWatts- Platinum 650 $137 ( All earthwatts type out of stock )

Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA3 120G $104 ( out of stock up to 250 GB )

3G R9-280X Sapphire-OC - Reads alot review, best value card atm - i hope i'm right - but its out of stock as well

I was planning to buy whole system from MSY and get them to build & Install all the parts, sadly most of it out of stock. And i dont have any idea for the replacement on the missing part. Could anyone help out with ideas ? I might consider buying whole parts from PCcasegear and paying shipping or i could order parts from somewhere and bring parts to MSY. ( I'm not confident installing thing on my own, so yeah i always have it installed )

So, what would be best replacement for the missing parts ? Especially PSU and graphic card. SSD i could easily grab from local store ( Capitol Square in Sydney ) and save me bit postage cost, Ram might have to order it from somewhere. Thank you

Edited by ladyofbow

trouble with suggesting other parts from msy is we dont know whats in stock and that can change from day to day

these cards are also good value

Gigabyte R797OC $359

3G 7970 Gigabyte R797TO $379 < ghz edition basically the same thing as a 280x maybe faster than some and i think 7970 still come with three free games

any 1866 or 2133 c9 ram will be ok its just slightly slower your not likely to notice the difference in your games

these psu will be ok they will just use a little more power

Antec HCG 520 $85 Antec HCG-Modular 520M $99

Corsair 80Plus Gold RM450 $135

go the 250g if you can its good value

Thanks for the reply ! I'm getting this part today

Also, i just wondering. I'm planning to get Harman Kardon SoundSticks III within next month. Should i buy sounds card to improve it's sounds quality ?

This will be my last question, Would u be able to recommend any other LCD 23-24 inch other than Viewsonics ? I dont really like the model / looks :(

Would any of these Asus VE247H / VS247HR / VS248H / VE248H will be a good choice ? i tried to do some research, plenty report about ghosting and such.

Or ASUS VX238H ? I dont mind paying postage for this models, It looks good.

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply ! I'm getting this part today

Also, i just wondering. I'm planning to get Harman Kardon SoundSticks III within next month. Should i buy sounds card to improve it's sounds quality ?

This will be my last question, Would u be able to recommend any other LCD 23-24 inch other than Viewsonics ? I dont really like the model / looks :(

Would any of these Asus VE247H / VS247HR / VS248H / VE248H will be a good choice ? i tried to do some research, plenty report about ghosting and such.

Or ASUS VX238H ? I dont mind paying postage for this models, It looks good.

Thanks again

Laptop to desktop is quite a change as you will be seated in a spot so make your gaming position fun. I would agree get as reliable and quality power supply as possible, modular if you are going to tinker with it inside. I think the cpu/mobo instillation is tricky everything else is easy, however if you want back up warranty/help go with a store.

Ram is always easily upgradeable, gpu cards more expensive although they tend to last a while these days.

As for monitors the decision is ips panel vs other ones and I have 24inch benq screen that is amazing and retails for like nothing these days, I prefer benq blacks, asus brighter, philips sharper maybe go and look at a few. Also dell are good but you step up to 400 mark from 200 with ips.

pump.