Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Master_Scythe

PSA for men who shave

shaving is about as sensible as ironing

i've had a rather fetching beard for most of the last 35 years, and even my lady friends who don't favour a beard tell me mine is tolerable

none of that bushy hipster shit though

Posted Image

Also they offer a every second month deal for us men that don't need to shave too often.

What sort of deal? I myself shave about every second day, so I would probably build up a collection of blades.

The usual is that you get he handle for free and then a set of blades every month.

I don't shave as often as some, so for people like me, they can reduce the rate they send out new blades to every two months.

I've always had all sorts of trouble shaving with a razor. I've got lots of facial hair and it's thick so if I shave with a razor it pulls and cuts and irritates to the point where I just can't stand it. Years ago I switched to shaving with an electric, but use the trimmer blade instead of the super close cut blade and have never looked back. It means I'm in a perpetual state of stubble, but always neat, and avoid the irritation.

That's my issue. Thick stubble. EVERYTHING irritated. The more blades the razor had, the worse it was.

I tried a double edge because I read about a few people that had the same problem. As I understand, because a double edge is only 1 blade against your face at a time, the stubble/hair doesn't get caught and drag across your face.

However, that's possibly hear/say. I don't know.

What I do know from personal (non scientific) experience, is that with a double edge razor, I can shave against the grain, and as long as I use after shave, I don't get razor burn, or ingrown hairs anymore.

That's my personal experience. Nothing more.

Perhaps consider it.

AD

I've always had all sorts of trouble shaving with a razor. I've got lots of facial hair and it's thick so if I shave with a razor it pulls and cuts and irritates to the point where I just can't stand it. Years ago I switched to shaving with an electric, but use the trimmer blade instead of the super close cut blade and have never looked back. It means I'm in a perpetual state of stubble, but always neat, and avoid the irritation.

bit like me - i'm a perpetual #3 when i can be bothered to use the clippers

electric razors make my skin sting, and i break out in some sort of acne

blade razors are fine for my cheeks, but my chin and moustache area hate being scraped - so the best i can tolerate long term is a "walter white" facial topography.... my hair has taken to trying to emulate his coif spontaneously

...What I do know from personal (non scientific) experience, is that with a double edge razor, I can shave against the grain, and as long as I use after shave, I don't get razor burn, or ingrown hairs anymore.

That's my personal experience. Nothing more.

Perhaps consider it.

AD

I actually haven't used a normal double blade razor (presume that's what you meant by double edge?) for years. Maybe it's worth a shot to see if anything has changed. It was always ingrown hairs and rash everywhere, but that was generally with a three blade. What do you use for shave cream? I always used generic shave cream of some brand. I tried the oil as I'd heard it was "amazing", but it honestly did nothing for me. My hair was way to thick to succumb to "a drop of two" of oil.

Seriously? A single cartridge lasts you months??

I've tried triple- and 5-bladed cartridge razors and was lucky to get a week out of one cartridge. These days I just use two-blade disposable Schick razors, which last maybe 5, possibly 6 shaves before becoming unusable. Yes, I do my best to keep the blades hair-free but I'd not heard of the boiling water trick. Will have to give that a go.

It bears noting that I almost always cut myself shaving, no matter how many blades or how new the razor. Hell I've drawn blood with an electric razor! I tend to get better results with newer blades and generally "more blades = better" - but "better" in this case means merely irritated skin and drawing blood three or less times.

But I've never measured the longevity of my blades in months! Wow! Any other tips for keeping the blades in good condition?

I know, totally surprised me, but yeah, six to eight weeks before blade swop is typical, not that I always shave every day, don't really need to, I work from home and my wife for some reason likes me a bit scruffy, so mostly its when I need to go see clients, but yeah boiling water straight from the kettle and leave to dry, I just get the sticker shock when I need a new pack :)

It's probably because my beard is pretty soft, and maybe because I use gel, not foam - dunno, but its ages before I feel the drag and just toss the cart.

I'll be keeping an eye out at Coles now though :)

Cheers

I actually haven't used a normal double blade razor (presume that's what you meant by double edge?) for years. Maybe it's worth a shot to see if anything has changed. It was always ingrown hairs and rash everywhere, but that was generally with a three blade. What do you use for shave cream? I always used generic shave cream of some brand. I tried the oil as I'd heard it was "amazing", but it honestly did nothing for me. My hair was way to thick to succumb to "a drop of two" of oil.

Fixed image

Posted Image

AD

Edited by AccessDenied

OP: I wonder if you'd actually notice the difference in a double-blind test.

Rob.

If it was a subtle difference, I'd agree.

But 2 weeks, to 3 months, is a fucking huge leap.

This has been my shaver of choice for some time

Posted Image

It normally lasts around 2 weeks, shaving three days a week which sucks but it was the first shaver that didn't slice and dice my face (too much). I don't know if it's the blades or the gentle "vibration" but when you find a razor that doesn't leave you bleeding you tend to stick to it.

I have though been taking to moisturising after every shave which, over time, has built up some resilience too.

While the blades are still (sparingly) available, the razor isn't and I realise the life of the blades sucks and aren't the cheapest around either.

I have been thinking about the dollar shave club or the aussie variant of it. I really need to try something else and might look up the coles ones although I am kind of worried about the cheap stuff generally.

Here's a tip!

Never change your blade unless you've had a few.

That way, you're guaranteed to draw blood!

4 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Here's a tip!

Never change your blade unless you've had a few.

That way, you're guaranteed to draw blood!

Seven years, LP?  Quality necromancy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cybes said:

Seven years, LP?  Quality necromancy!

Well, it was a good thread to start with..............so I thought, rather than start a new one...........I'd ruin this one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

🙂

Yeah, rave from the grave barely describes it.

Still, it was a good thread.

I've recently taken to subscribing to Oscar, a service that sends me a blade refill every couple of months and also sell gels etc. I've not tried any of the latter yet and if you do not like multi-blades don't bother, they only offer a five bade.

Being completely honest they are not QUITE as good as Gillette Fusion but it is awful close and nearly half the price. I've never minded a trace of stubble, beats ingrown, so they suit me fine.

There's an intro offer for anyone interested, very little to lose.

Cheers

I've used the Mach III since it first came out and they last a long time as I'm not particularly hairy.

It's just that I always seem to change them when I'm pissed and forget that I don't have to press as hard with new blades...............hence the blood..........

481218eac6b5cec6fd5d21f6dd717642

🙂

I think it varies with different people, for me the Fusion or equivalent seems to work best, Middy is happy with the Mach III, I gave him my somehow stockpiled cartridges when I upgraded.

Cheers

🙂

I see-saw, one day blade next  Philishave, but nothing wrong with Braun.

Cheers

The only blade I can handle without going Gungston is the Gillettes.  The noname are attrocious.  Bic should just stick to making pens and lighters and Shich are barely any better.

The Sensor 3 disposables are the usual ones I grab when on special - I stockpile over a dozen so they last a fair while.  Generally I'll do blade 2-3 times a week at most and electric for others though it's not very effective.

Also of questionable value is the teflon strips which seem to erode away within a few shaves though I take boiled water in a cup for the facial wiping and the blade dip which probably contributes to their quick demise.

I've used the sampler replacable blades but don't think I've persisted beyond a few months and probably have 2 or 3 in there which haven't been used in over 15 years and might not even have replacements available any more.

🙂

The five blades, for me, if AD were around he would disagree, last a rather long time and as I mentioned the Oscar offering is near as good.

I've been shaving with them (five blades, Oscar only the last 12 months) for years and never a nick, I assume it is because the blades are very close together.

When doing a one night away from home I do sometimes take a multi blade disposable, can't even find them at the moment so must have been a while.

The big thing I think is good lather, I only use gel, not really fussed which but foam is rubbish. I stopped using a brush ages ago but the other half of a close shave is really hot water to pre-rinse the face with hot water and pre-soak the razor to have a nice hot blade. It just softens the beard but makes a difference.

I agree, those aloe strips are just a marketing gimmick but they don't do any harm.

Cheers

I don't think I've ever gone beyond a triple - really I don't see the point.

If you're clogging up 3 blades then it's probably giving you 1 or 2 extra strokes until 5 clog up.

That's why I take the boiling water in - 2 or 3 strokes then a good dip and whack to get the crud out.

Don't even remember the last time I had a bloodied face from shaving.  Potentially maybe never? 🤷‍♀️

24 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I don't think I've ever gone beyond a triple - really I don't see the point.

If you're clogging up 3 blades then it's probably giving you 1 or 2 extra strokes until 5 clog up.

That's why I take the boiling water in - 2 or 3 strokes then a good dip and whack to get the crud out.

🙂

I'd have said the same but on a whim tried five - world of difference  🙂

I thought you gave up shaving years ago Nich, something changed ?

Cheers