Dasa

AMD Radeon R-200 Hawaii

some cards will be here end of month not sure if r280 will be among them or just how much better than 7970 it will be if at all

starting prices in au may be much higher than they should be

some cards will be here end of month not sure if r280 will be among them or just how much better than 7970 it will be if at all

starting prices in au may be much higher than they should be

Hmm, seems I might have to wait too long for the prices to drop or the actual card. I'll just get the 7970.

It would be great if there was a software mod or pencil trick like the 6800 or the 9500 was back in the day

r9 280x are in stock starting at $369 for powercolor 850-1000mhz and $399 for gb oc 1000-1100mhz then asus has its matrix for $469 with 400mhz more on the memory

Well, that sucks a bit as I hoped AMD will make the refreshes a little more interesting. But for the price, you sort of can't argue but they need to be a little bit cheaper.

If anyone is planning to get the 280x I suggest get the 7970 ghz for $329, it's a steal atm. The 280x is at an awkward position, on average its about $20ish above its price range, I think if they drop it abit to match the gtx 760 properly they'll thwart it. Performance wise it's already better they just need to be aggressive with their pricing. I'm calling the 290 to be priced at around $500-600 mark and the 290x to be about $750-800.

Edit: My hope is to see AMD price the: (this is all AUS pricing)

270 at around the $200 mark

280 at around the $300 mark

290 at around the $450 mark

290x at around the $650 mark

Edit 2: I realise this wont happen right away but hopefully 5-6 months down the track we'll see pricing like this coming along

Edited by `angerfist

there is no 7970ghz under $400 that is just a 7970 oc and its clocked a fair bit slower

then nvidia just needs to follow and drop its prices to where they should be

760 2g $240

770 2g $280 4g $320

780 $450

wont happen though

Edited by Dasa

Anyone running a 7970 at 2560x1440 and happy with it?

I'm trying to decide if its fast enough, as its cheaper than a 280x. I saw the 7990 down to $699 at pccasegear but that's a lot of cash.... will the 290 be faster than the 7990? I'm about to build a new PC but havent chosen a new discrete gpu yet.

The 280x doesnt seem enough of a jump over the 7970 and is more expensive.

Anyone running a 7970 at 2560x1440 and happy with it?

I'm trying to decide if its fast enough, as its cheaper than a 280x. I saw the 7990 down to $699 at pccasegear but that's a lot of cash.... will the 290 be faster than the 7990? I'm about to build a new PC but havent chosen a new discrete gpu yet.

The 280x doesnt seem enough of a jump over the 7970 and is more expensive.

The 280X is practically the 7970 but with a BIOS flash realistically. The 290X should really be considered the next gen stuff and given the previews, it's sitting between the Titan and as well the GTX 780. However, this is with the pre-release drivers so hopefully later drivers will bring the necessary improvements it deserves.

a overclocked 7970 can run most games at 2560x1440 acceptably well

r290 with a rrp of $500us might be worth a look

The 'Hawaii' might just be the most pretentious name I've ever heard but it certainly looks very nice.

Wasn't too long ago that I got a 7950... rubbish.

Pretty sure the 7950 is like still overall faster than R9 270x. If that is what you're referring to....

The 'Hawaii' might just be the most pretentious name I've ever heard but it certainly looks very nice.

Wasn't too long ago that I got a 7950... rubbish.

Pretty sure the 7950 is like still overall faster than R9 270x. If that is what you're referring to....

Yeah, the 7950 is in between the 270x and 280x, and with overclocking down the road,.. surpasses the 280x in some cases...

If you have a crossfire capable board, its a great investment cost to performance wise... to do 2x 7950 or 2x 7970's compared to any of the newer 270/280x

Edited by drawesome

i read 2 reviews this morning, both show it besting a titan, or at least matching it in most tests, at half the price. It's a bargain.

Still, it's not as good as 2x 7950s or 2x 7970s but it's a great single card offering. I'm very impressed.

Should provoke a response from nvidia, and a serious case of buyers regret for all the suckers who paid $1200 for a titan.

reviews if not posted already:

http://www.techspot.com/review/727-radeon-r9-290x/

http://lab501.ro/placi-video/amd-radeon-r9...vidia-gtx-titan

Posted Image

also worth noting it's driven the 7970 price down to 329 on PCCG website, while clearing old stock to make way for r9 280's which is a really good price.

Edited by p0is(+)n

Guest xyzzy frobozz

The reviews are pretty incredible - basically Titan performance for half the price.

I came *this* close to buying a pair today, but the thermals put me off - these things are really, really toasty, hitting 95c no worries.

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and see what custom coolers are released, and what Nvidia does with their prices. All things being equal, and provided third party coolers can improve temperatures a bit, I'll go for 290x. That said, if Nvidia undercuts AMD I may go Nvidia, as a pair of 780s or Titans would be more than enough performance on 2560x1600, but run cooler to boot.

An exciting release, props to AMD, it's nice to see competition at the top end of the market.