Dasa

AMD Radeon R-200 Hawaii

The reviews are pretty incredible - basically Titan performance for half the price.

I came *this* close to buying a pair today, but the thermals put me off - these things are really, really toasty, hitting 95c no worries.

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and see what custom coolers are released, and what Nvidia does with their prices. All things being equal, and provided third party coolers can improve temperatures a bit, I'll go for 290x. That said, if Nvidia undercuts AMD I may go Nvidia, as a pair of 780s or Titans would be more than enough performance on 2560x1600, but run cooler to boot.

An exciting release, props to AMD, it's nice to see competition at the top end of the market.

Just get a pair of water blocks to go with it, then you have power and silence. I had to go a week with my GPU on air recently, was the worst week of gaming i've had recently. The noise of a fan spinning up is so annoying. I have become used to silence and GPU temps under load at 30-40% OC and temps below 40C.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

The reviews are pretty incredible - basically Titan performance for half the price.

I came *this* close to buying a pair today, but the thermals put me off - these things are really, really toasty, hitting 95c no worries.

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and see what custom coolers are released, and what Nvidia does with their prices. All things being equal, and provided third party coolers can improve temperatures a bit, I'll go for 290x. That said, if Nvidia undercuts AMD I may go Nvidia, as a pair of 780s or Titans would be more than enough performance on 2560x1600, but run cooler to boot.

An exciting release, props to AMD, it's nice to see competition at the top end of the market.

Just get a pair of water blocks to go with it, then you have power and silence. I had to go a week with my GPU on air recently, was the worst week of gaming i've had recently. The noise of a fan spinning up is so annoying. I have become used to silence and GPU temps under load at 30-40% OC and temps below 40C.

I have a pair of Asus DCU2 GTX680s - the triple slot cooler ones. They're all but silent.

I'm pretty not keen on water cooling to be honest. I find it a pain in the arse, and I turn over my graphics cards each generation. Then there's the additional few hundred dollars spent on the kit after spending $1300-1400. No thanks. That's why I'm waiting to see what the third party coolers can do. If it is the case that you can get temps down to, say, 85c with quiet fans I can probably live with that.

Still, I have memories of sweating my arse off in summer with tri-fire 5970 & 5870s boiling away at 90c a few years back.... They really make a difference to room temperature on a still, hot and humid day.... Lucky we have air-con now!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Is anyone else not really that impressed with the 290X? I mean ive owned my 7970 now for about 1.5 years and it runs at 1100/1550 24/7 and compared to the benchmarks it really isnt that far behind the 290X.

Ive been holding off buying a 1440p monitor cos the framerates i like to play at are not quite up to 110fps like i get on my 1080p monitor with BF3 on max graphics.

It seems these days that crossfire iss the only way to go if you want to play at bigger resolutions.

Who realistically plays games at 35 or 40 FPS on 1440p or even 1080p. It drives me nuts.

Is anyone else not really that impressed with the 290X? I mean ive owned my 7970 now for about 1.5 years and it runs at 1100/1550 24/7 and compared to the benchmarks it really isnt that far behind the 290X.

Ive been holding off buying a 1440p monitor cos the framerates i like to play at are not quite up to 110fps like i get on my 1080p monitor with BF3 on max graphics.

It seems these days that crossfire iss the only way to go if you want to play at bigger resolutions.

Who realistically plays games at 35 or 40 FPS on 1440p or even 1080p. It drives me nuts.

It really depends. For me personally, I felt impressed as the 290X is able to match or beat a GTX Titan for half price. For you, it may not since the FPS isn't really necessary compared to your graphics. That's how I see it. But once you hit 4K resolution, then I think it matters much more as 4K will realistically be the next 1080p.

yeah i guess but i dont think that 4k will be that affordable for a few years to come and then your still going to need some serious power to get some decent fps, more than 1 single card i would think. I think im seeing the whole thing as an upgrade path for me not a new system builder.

I dont even think ill be seeing any reason to upgrade my cpu in the next 2 years to be honest.

im pretty impressed with it, it's almost as good as crossfire 7950s but single card. it's better than a 780 and equal to a titan.

it's also priced pretty well for it's performance. what do you think they could have done better?

I'm considering the R9 290X. I'll be running 2560 x 1440 and some BF4. Seems like a nice deal.

Also, anyone have any feedback on noise level?

Edited by smakme7757

I'm pretty not keen on water cooling to be honest. I find it a pain in the arse, and I turn over my graphics cards each generation. Then there's the additional few hundred dollars spent on the kit after spending $1300-1400. No thanks. That's why I'm waiting to see what the third party coolers can do. If it is the case that you can get temps down to, say, 85c with quiet fans I can probably live with that.

mm water isnt for everyone it does requier some extra work for the benefits of low noise and temps around 30-40c

i must have saved ~$700 by using universal gpu blocks rather than full cover

mind you having just toasted a 7970 by trying to diy a vrm heatsink chews into that budget a bit but i just need to make sure i chose a card with a vrm heatsink separate from the gpu in the future or buy one that is made for it as it seems the components are just getting to small for me

water probably hasnt cost me any more than air in parts since i would have purchased a few different hsf and probably a cases by now if it wasnt for water

case\cpu block would be ~9 years old one gpu block would be ~7 years but i did update the pump\rad\fans ~3 years ago

Looking at the reviews looks like the performance is nearly identical to the Titan... which makes it a hell of a buy at nearly half the $. I like to upgrade a lot so I will buy universal next time for sure :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/27.html

Id like to see some clock to clock comparisons and also to would be interesting to see what the average OC is on these.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

mm water isnt for everyone it does requier some extra work for the benefits of low noise and temps around 30-40c

i must have saved ~$700 by using universal gpu blocks rather than full cover

mind you having just toasted a 7970 by trying to diy a vrm heatsink chews into that budget a bit but i just need to make sure i chose a card with a vrm heatsink separate from the gpu in the future or buy one that is made for it as it seems the components are just getting to small for me

water probably hasnt cost me any more than air in parts since i would have purchased a few different hsf and probably a cases by now if it wasnt for water

case\cpu block would be ~9 years old one gpu block would be ~7 years but i did update the pump\rad\fans ~3 years ago

Yeah.

Don't get me wrong, it's something I'm interested in, and the reduction in heat and noise is certainly very attractive. A big issue for me is room in my case. I modded the hard drive cages of my Corsair 600T to mount the radiator for the H100 in the front of the case. Potentially this gives me some room in the roof of the case, but I seriously doubt that being able to effectively cool two 290x cards off a 200mm rad.

What do you think?

Prior to getting the current 680s I was probably looking to pull the trigger on doing a loop just for the GPUs. But I thought I'd give the Asus triple slot coolers a go. They are all but inaudible in my current setup and, given that I'm a headphone gamer, it really isn't a problem.

So yeah, I'll wait a couple of weeks until the post release dust settles and see what's out there. As I said before though, to me this is one of the more exciting GPU releases of the last few years. AMD have absolutely nailed if from a price to performance perspective so I can forgive them the heat and noise issue in a way that I could not forgive Nvidia's GTX480s heat an noise.

Id like to see some clock to clock comparisons and also to would be interesting to see what the average OC is on these.

The reviews I've read so far seem to indicate that given they run at 95c at stock clocks, there's probably not much headroom left in them. Again, third party cooling solutions might change that.

I'm looking forward to someone doing an "Overclock-off" between these and the Titan. My understanding is that Titan has some pretty decent overclocking headroom. Maybe Titan pulls a bit back in that respect, although they're going to need to drop prices fairly significantly to be worth considering.

so i noticed a sharp drop in 780 prices this week, down 100-150 since 290x launch :)

there down to $499 us

and gtx770 are $329 which is still to much with 280x 1100mhz at $299

I was looking at getting a 290x but the reference coolers dont seem like they do too good of a job. I ended placing an order on a reference 780 yesterday after the price drops. I'm upgrading from a 560ti so i should get a nice little bump in framerates.

I can't stop hitting the refresh button on the tracking, lol. "In Transit"...*F5* "In Transit"...*F5* "In Transit". Any minute now.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I was looking at getting a 290x but the reference coolers dont seem like they do too good of a job. I ended placing an order on a reference 780 yesterday after the price drops. I'm upgrading from a 560ti so i should

Hell yeah you should get a nice frame jump!

I was having heat issues with my 290x cards until last night. The top card was fine but the bottom card would overheat and throttle. I uninstalled GPU tweak and BAM! fixed the problem.

They still run at about 90c at 1GHz, but if AMD insist that they're safe at that temperature I'm happy to take them at their word. I can also tell you that under water these cards will have no problem hitting 1200MHz as I have run tests and they're perfectly stable until they hit the 95c thermal limit and then throttle.

I was a bit worried until I worked out the problem last night, but after much gaming today on some pretty intense games (BF4, Crysis 3, Rome 2 Total War) these cards absolutely shred!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

nice that it was a simple fix and its good to hear that they do 1200 ok if the cooling is up to it considering they are throttling to under 800mhz in a lot of reviews they would be dam quick at a solid 1200mhz

Yeah i thought those cards would dominate under decent cooling, it's a shame AMD don't package the reference cards with a decent cooler. I probably would have grabbed one if they did.

Idk the titan gets pretty dam toasty too... Atleast you save half $ and with that saving you could water it... Plus AMD have speced it out to run that way. Titan throttles sooner (temp) it seems. Anyway most that will spend that much are probably thinking water in the future. Anyone have any benchmarks comparison for sli/cf besides from hardocp that covers several res? Any clock to clock?

Guest xyzzy frobozz

One thing you simply cannot seem to do on these cards is OC the memory.

Even a 5% bump through CCC introduces a lot of instability. At 2560x1600 it's probably a bit of a non-issue, but it's worth noting nonetheless.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

different brands are using different memory chips

Hynix-based models can overclock up to 6,2 GHz, while Elpida cards can only reach 5,7 GHz clock

http://videocardz.com/47200/amd-launches-radeon-r9-290x

there is some discussion on other forums about which cards have what but like you say with a 512bit bus its probably only 50 points in 3dmark

the memory seems to run really low compared to the 7970 for example, i've been able to run the memory on my card at around 7750mhz without any issues, compared to just 5000mhz on the 290x, however the 290x is 512-bit so I wonder if that's what they are having trouble with? Am I correct in saying the 2900xt was the last 512bit amd card, and what a piece of crap it was. I can't believe I wasted $500 on one.

Looking forward to seeing if there is any more room to move on water with these.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Looking forward to seeing if there is any more room to move on water with these.

As I mentioned above, I've run these perfectly stable at 1200MHz until they hit 95 and throttle. It's my belief that these chips have plenty to give.

Supposedly leaked details of GTX780ti.

Make of that what you will, but if it is correct, it's certainly game on!

Hynix-based models can overclock up to 6,2 GHz, while Elpida cards can only reach 5,7 GHz clock

That's why I bought the Asus cards - supposedly superior memory overclocking, but it hasn't turned out that way unfortunately.

Radeon R9 290 reviews are out. Here are the few I'm reading at the moment

- Tom's Hardware

- TechPowerUp!

- AnandTech

On the topic of these new R9 cards, I find that absolutely appauling

Posted Image

See the variation between the review and retail cards for the 290X? That's complete and utter bullshit. That is a massive amount of variance, and even allows a "good" 290 to beat a more expensive and apparently faster 290X. What a joke!!!

To be honest while the price is good for these new cards, and the performance "can" be good too, I'd never contemplate buying one of these. For the first time in a long while, I think I'd sooner the technically slower cards from Nvidia...