Dasa

AMD Radeon R-200 Hawaii

im guessing there is some batches out there with bad mounts and instead of just getting a hot fan screaming 100% and becoming unstable the way the cards scale now means they just run slower which could mean a lot of people out there would never know something isnt right :(

it will be interesting when somebody confirms the reason for toms retail cards throttling so hard

it seems the techpowerup review sample was throttling a fair bit harder than toms review sample but not as bad as the retail

r290 is looking like great value at $400 assuming we get some good hsf

i wonder how hot and loud 290\290x would be if somebody adapted a titan hsf to fit since r290 is only using ~7w more than titan going by techpowerup

but power use seems to be all over the place with 290\290x uber\silent all swapping places as to which one uses significantly more than the other in multiple reviews

Edited by Dasa

Wow, I've never seen a lower-tiered card outperforming a higher-tiered one at stock. There have to be some serious QA problems in the chain.

I suppose the only way to compare the two cards is to watercool them both and see what happens... but that's hardly ideal for the average consumer.

Also seems the 290 was meant to compete with the GTX 770, but after Nvidia dropped the price of that, they upped the max fan speed by 7% so it wouldn't throttle as badly, enabling it to compete with the GTX 780... deary me

it looks like third part coolers will be able to tame this beast and do it quietly at 1100mhz

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon...rk,3659-19.html

edit

looks like some lucky bugger got a gem 1320\1700 on water scoring 3435 in valley

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/officia...wners-club/2970

its a nice jump over 7970 but its not that far ahead of titan possibly slower clock for clock

3306/FPS: 79.0 gamble - 3770k 4.7ghz(w) / EVGA SC GTX Titan 1215c/3400m(w)

2157/FPS: 51.6 Dasa - i7 2600K@5GHz(w) - 7970@1200/1750(w)

Edited by Dasa

Guest xyzzy frobozz

See the variation between the review and retail cards for the 290X? That's complete and utter bullshit. That is a massive amount of variance, and even allows a "good" 290 to beat a more expensive and apparently faster 290X. What a joke!!!

I can't see how that would be the case to be honest, given that 290 is the same silicon as 290x with less shaders. It's definitely a thermal issue.

I haven't read the Tom's Hardware article (will do so today) but did they enable fan speeds of above 55% in CCC? My bet is that they probably didn't and the card throttled. If I only allow 55% fan (default max in Uber mode) my cards will throttle. Rather than put up with the noise I under-clocked them to 950MHz but, if you want maximum performance, you can allow the fans to spool up and they won't throttle at all.

That's been my experience. I will say that the stock cooler is only marginally up to the task.

it looks like third part coolers will be able to tame this beast and do it quietly at 1100mhz

It will be interesting to see whether Nvidia will now allow OEMs to sell their cards with custom coolers on 780/Titan.

It's all good for the consumer!

Wow, I've never seen a lower-tiered card outperforming a higher-tiered one at stock. There have to be some serious QA problems in the chain.

I suppose the only way to compare the two cards is to watercool them both and see what happens... but that's hardly ideal for the average consumer.

True, but this just means possibly skip 290x and get the 290? Just like how most should have skipped Titan and get the 780.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon...rk,3659-19.html

edit

looks like some lucky bugger got a gem 1320\1700 on water scoring 3435 in valley

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/officia...wners-club/2970

its a nice jump over 7970 but its not that far ahead of titan possibly slower clock for clock

3306/FPS: 79.0 gamble - 3770k 4.7ghz(w) / EVGA SC GTX Titan 1215c/3400m(w)

2157/FPS: 51.6 Dasa - i7 2600K@5GHz(w) - 7970@1200/1750(w)

Yea I was reading that thread looks like they have modded the bios already to get more volts for watercooled cards.... Clock to clock does appear slightly slower and I have a few runs over 80fps in Heaven I havent posted yet.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/...X_780_Ti/1.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...3gb-review.html

sli\cf

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7492/the-gef...x-780-ti-review

780ti is impressive although it would be nice if amd released a 290xx just to put them back in there place and make them consider another price drop all they need is a better hsf to take the clocks a little higher

amd will still get spanked in power efficiency though although at the moment the 780ti looks to be drawing only slightly less power than 290x under gaming load the 780ti uses more than 3x less power when running multiple monitors at desktop or playing a bluray movie

dam impressive NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti : Core 1291MHz, Memory 1940MHz

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nv..._gtx780ti/3.htm

although other reviews are topping out at 1050-1200mhz they weren't upping the fan to 100%

Edited by Dasa

Guess ill be waiting for the next season of cards to come out, was hoping to sell my 7970 off while its still worth something, but not worth it now at the current prices.

Guess ill be waiting for the next season of cards to come out, was hoping to sell my 7970 off while its still worth something, but not worth it now at the current prices.

i'm hoping to pick one up cheap, now that they are $300 new, second hand will be even cheaper as everyone jumps on the new cards. 2x 7970 still > even a 780ti so it will keep me happy and my wallet happy too.

interesting reading nobody, thanks for the link.

dammit amd, why always shoot yourself in the foot. I might end up grabbing some if they are too noisy for others and they sell em cheap, will water cool it and overclock the shit out of it. :)

they have such a great card, they just need a less shit cooler. now they might end up losing a large chunk of sales to team green until decent third party coolers are available.

Edited by p0is(+)n

...now they might end up losing a large chunk of sales to team green until decent third party coolers are available.

If they'd had those coolers from the start, it'd be one might fine series of cards

Guest xyzzy frobozz

they have such a great card, they just need a less shit cooler.

My bet is that they did it to keep prices as low as possible at launch to steal sales from Green.

I down-clocked my two 290x cards to 950MHz. It has made a massive difference. They sit there all day no problem. Seems you just have to fiddle around with them a bit. New drivers might sort things out too.

have you tweaked there v at all with the lowered clock speed? as i would be surprised if a 50mhz drop on its own would make much difference

they have such a great card, they just need a less shit cooler.

My bet is that they did it to keep prices as low as possible at launch to steal sales from Green.

I down-clocked my two 290x cards to 950MHz. It has made a massive difference. They sit there all day no problem. Seems you just have to fiddle around with them a bit. New drivers might sort things out too.

the thing with amd is it's always something they do to handicap themselves, if you see the link nobody posted, some retail cards don't even clock above the minimum 730mhz core or something, which is 200 lower than yours, due to thermals in quiet mode. more than 20%.

not a problem if you're a tweaker or an overclocker, but for the average joe they will probably not want to have to do any of that and will see it as a negative, and go buy a 780 or 780ti.

Man, GPU industry is going big guns this time round, I like it!

I may build another PC in about 12 months, things should be pretty nasty by that point!

Guest xyzzy frobozz

have you tweaked there v at all with the lowered clock speed? as i would be surprised if a 50mhz drop on its own would make much difference

I was too.

But yep, for sure it makes a difference. The thing was that it was only ever dropping one bin anyway, which dropped it down to something like 936MHz on one card only. This created choppiness as the other was maintaining 1000MHz. Dropping them both to 950MHz has so far seen them both stabilise.

ah that would do it

although frame pacing would take care of that in the dx11 games it works with wouldnt it?

Guest xyzzy frobozz

ah that would do it

although frame pacing would take care of that in the dx11 games it works with wouldnt it?

I think so, although you'd notice intermittent choppiness, something like BF4 stays pretty smooth. I have an on screen display on my G19 displaying AIDA 64, and I noticed that when it would clock up or down there would be a 2-3 seconds of choppiness, and then it would be fine.

I have updated the drovers, so it will be interesting to see if there is a difference. According to Tom's Hardware, they have sorted out some inconsistencies with fan speeds.

ah that would do it

I think so, although you'd notice intermittent choppiness, something like BF4 stays pretty smooth. I have an on screen display on my G19 displaying AIDA 64, and I noticed that when it would clock up or down there would be a 2-3 seconds of choppiness, and then it would be fine.

I have updated the drovers, so it will be interesting to see if there is a difference. According to Tom's Hardware, they have sorted out some inconsistencies with fan speeds.

you may also notice a boost from disabling core parking with bf4, by default i noticed windows 7 parked 4 of my cores at any time and bf4 can take advantage of as many cores as you have :) won't be much, but possibly a few fps here and there.

here is a rundown, but you can google it to confirm.

- open regedit

- ctrl+f (find) and look for this key 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583

- within this key, you will see 'ValueMax' - change this from 64 to 0, that that both min and max are now 0. this value is the setting for how many cores are allowed to be parked, 64 = 100%, therefore any core can be parked, or all cores. a parked core isn't working.

- search again, you will probably find 2-3 of these keys, make the same change in each. there is one key for each power profile you have, so the default is 3.

- do a complete shutdown and reboot, and your cores will no longer park.

i'm hoping to pick one up cheap, now that they are $300 new, second hand will be even cheaper as everyone jumps on the new cards. 2x 7970 still > even a 780ti so it will keep me happy and my wallet happy too.

hopefully not too off topic, but I managed to grab a XFX 7970BE tonight for $250, pretty happy with it, just having trouble tracking down a matching block now, seems koolance don't make the one I have anymore, and nobody sells it anymore. the cheapest alternative I can find is $150 for EK :(

Guest xyzzy frobozz

you may also notice a boost from disabling core parking with bf4, by default i noticed windows 7 parked 4 of my cores at any time and bf4 can take advantage of as many cores as you have :) won't be much, but possibly a few fps here and there.

Yeah I've done that one and it did help.

It's probably a bad idea to be judging performance off BF4, having as many issues to iron out as it does.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

:-)

Posted Image

Stumbled onto this today....

GELID Icy Vision Universal VGA Cooler Rev 2 @ $59.00

Compatible with the AMD R9 290/290X

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...35a3be36703a5f3

Edited by drawesome