Dasa

AMD Radeon R-200 Hawaii

^^So with the cards fully stressed we kept monitoring temperatures and noted down the peak (not average) GPU temperature.

ASUS Radeon R9 290X DCUII OC - The temperature under heavy game stress for the card stabilized at roughly 77 Degrees C, a lot better than 94 Degrees C for the reference model alright !

You will also notice that long terms stressing does not result into down-clocking anymore. The dips in the chart are scene changes BTW. Please make sure your PC is well ventilated at all times, this will seriously help you on the overall GPU temperatures.

That's a huge improvement...

Looking on ebay there are a ton of 290/290x that are being sold from mining rigs. The prices for new cards are dropping quickly. Ill probably pick up a 290 since it give similar performance within 10% @ 1080p to the titan and the titan value still seems strong. Plus, it give me a new toy to play with and can make a few $$ :)

Is the R9 290 still a good buy? I was looking at the Gigabyte Windforce model (because it's cheap and quiet). Is there a point spending more for the 'OC' version?

yea r9 290 are still great buys especially for price/performance. OC versions dont really matter since you can OC it yourself and both use the same cooler. The OC version gives you 90mhz more but your almost guaranteed to get that yourself with probably stock volts and the memory on this model are the same from the OC to non OC. Probably wont need to OC until later down the road too since its quite powerful card, of course depending on your resolution you like to run. :)

i think you can get them working well if you tweak them a bit but yeah some have hsf that dont make good contact or some have fan profiles that are a bit stingy for some cases with average airflow

More worried about random black screens and the like. My 4870x2 was second hand and has held up for 5 years. I want this one to last just as long, or at last, almost as long.