Sign in to follow this  
revert

A solution to a problem. NAS required?

In need of some direction to my very common problem. I realize what I am asking is probably solved with a little researching and Google searches, but sometimes after reading so much it leaves me with no clearer idea of the solution.

Between overnight work and a fresh baby, retaining information is somewhat hard. To cut to the chase; Pretty much what I want is my computer and space back. This may sound ridiculous but being the only computer literate person known to a circle of friends becomes rather annoying.

Quite frankly I'm sick of being asked to download things for others and transfer it to usb for friends or family members.

So I was thinking if someone downloaded something it would be stored directly onto the NAS for others to come and take it as they please without disrupting me.

Also maybe it could do some basic streaming to the TV to cut out setting up one of the laptops to watch a movie/tv show.

I guess what i really want is a NAS. That is capable of the following;

- Torrent Downloading

- Streaming to the TV in the lounge (HTPC capabilities?)

- File sharing to other PC's & laptops (network)

So roughly I'd like to spend like $500 including drives.

And have somewhere like 4-6TB of space.

Any suggestions in that ball park figure would be much appreciated or some ideas of what my options may be.

Much Appreciated,

A Proud* & Weary New father.

Edited by revert

a small PC is the answer, running whatever your favorite linux distro might be. Simple :)

Any sort of older Core2 box will be good enough. should be able to pick one up for cheap i f you dont have on lying around.

From there, spend your money on HDD's

So something like the small PC listed in Dasa's parts guide wouldn't be over kill at all?

or should I hunt for older boxes?

You should read this. Get a hp microserver, any kind if fine. N36L, N40L, N54L can all be had for $150-$200 if you shop around.

5x 2TB WD green drives = $450. 4-6TB won't be enough space, trust me. This will allow 8TB usable space and 1 parity disk.

Feel free to ask any questions here, that thread describes how to do exactly what you want to do. It's due for an update.. I will get to it some time.

My N40L holds 7x2TB drives and is constantly downloading movies, tv etc. streaming to several devices in the house, accessible by web interface from any device (and externally with a password) so your friends could start downloads or queue up tv shows then park outside later with their laptop and collect, you wouldn't even have to see them :)

Holy shit that is a big write up.

I thought green drives were rubbish for NAS's?

So i also need to buy a gfx card and some ram?

I need a bigger budget!

Holy shit that is a big write up.

I thought green drives were rubbish for NAS's?

So i also need to buy a gfx card and some ram?

I need a bigger budget!

Green drives are fine, I get 300mb/s writes and 500mb/s reads to green drives, you only need 110mb/s anyway, which is about the limit of a gigabit connection.

They run cooler and use less power, you don't need the speed because you can't actually use it. For specific applications, or hardware RAID5 they can cause problems, but that's not really applicable here.

You don't need a graphics card, that part of the write up needs to be re-written. More RAM would be good, budget approx $250-300 for a microserver and 8-16GB RAM and about $450 for disks if you want to do it right.

You could try to do it in stages, but this won't work if you also want to use ZFS. It might work if you would prefer to use mdadm for raid5 instead.

I can't find one for under 270...for the n40l version.

My TV in the lounge isn't a smart tv and has no ethernet connection, i was kind of hoping to have my server/nas in the tv unit and use a hdmi and the unit itself to stream to that television.

I really don't have a preference seeing as I'm completely new to all of this.

I have a raspberry pi connected to my tv, it's just cable tied on the back. Streams 99% of my files including 1080p stuff just fine. The only thing it has struggled with is a 4 hour lord of the rings directors cut with 5.1DTS audio, as I have no hardware DTS decoding. I need to re-encode to stereo and it will probably be fine.

On my other TV I use a $30 android Pc on a stick, running android 4.2 and it also plays everything fine. One is connected to 100mbit ethernet, the other wireless n.

You could get a graphics card, and watch direct from your NAS, but I found this was a much poorer experience than running xbian on my raspberry pi.

Here is an example of the kind of deal I was talking about, was happening every other month for a while, seems to have stopped now. There might be another one soon. Even at $300 they are worth it over a conventional NAS IMO.

So the PC sticks stream 1080p over wifi?

I'll have to talk to my partner, with a newborn in the mix $300+450 for drives is starting to add up fast.

if you have an old PC you can use, it would do the job, it doesn't have to be a microserver. They are good because they are small, and use very little power compared to an old C2D system for example.

Basically you can follow that guide on any hardware if budget is an issue. And yea the android stick streams 1080p just fine, wireless N is up to 300mbps and standard ethernet is only 100mbit, both work just fine.

Thats what I said earlier isnt it? Any old PC after P4 (even the late HT P4's probably....) will do your job just fine.

Find an old PC from a mate and spend your ENTIRE budget on HDD's (and a $40 GPU if it needs one for hardware decode).

What state are you in? I'm sure some of us have old machines kicking around.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PC-/29097958640...=item43bfbc2162

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-XW4600-CORE-...=item43bff52ae1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCen...=item2c72dd4bbc (i have 4 of these around the house doing various media duties)

Long story short; you need:

-Core 2 Duo (any sort, dual core Pentium D's will do I recon)

-2GB of RAM

-Ubuntu, and run XBMC on it for playing video.

-Wired network card 100Mbps is fine (Wireless N double antenna if wireless and 1080p is needed)

-GPU that can hardware decode ($30 ones, NVIDIA if you're running linux plz)

So all in all, you'll be looking at well below $50 for the PC, if you cant find one; and about $30 for the GPU.

3 of these, running in RAID5 in linux (so 6TB with 1 redundant drive):

Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HDD (rebranded Hitachi)

$405 (3x $135.00)

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_revie...&sid=101285

Hows that? Well below your $500!

The reason I suggest full Ubuntu and not a specialty distro, is because if you're linux noob, it has simple right click folder sharing.

Simple RAID creation for your 3 drives.

and XBMC shows up in its 'Software Centre' as a one click install.

Its a 5 minute job even if you're linux noob, as long as you're computer savvy.

Just one tip, turn off power saving monitor stuff. Linux ignores video and keep sputting the monitor to sleep or the screensaver on.

Other power saving like S3, or HDD sleep I assume is still fine.

As for streaming, these bad boys do it all.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8G-MK802-III-Du...2399#vi-content

They even power on and off with your TV if your TV has its own USB port.

MK802, II is much cheaper, but its not a rockchip processor. So playing games or surfing really heavy pages\long TUMBLR sites on it will chug like a bitch.

Also recovering a Rockchip from a failure is way easier.

As long as your router is Wireless N, and you can turn G off, you'll stream 1080p without any issues :)

Edited by Master_Scythe

Yeah, sorry dude...I wasn't ignoring your input. Just day dreaming over that impressive write up. haha

I'm in Vic.

Yeah, Im sure someone I know would have an old box laying around. If not I'll just try and grab one from ebay.

The old boxes should be fairly low on power consumption right?

considering it'll idle all day, yep.

If I recall reading an article, you're talking on average $60-$80 a year to run a PC with constant light load.

Though you may wanna look it up.

A PC like that will run easily on less than 300w. Probably more like 160w at a guess.

Yeah pretty much.

That sounds like a go'er.

I'll ask around over the weekend and report back in.

Much appreciated!