Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

Steam OS

Any way that can get Linux more entrenched with the populus can only be a good thing.

Bear in mind that this is one of three announcements that Valve will make this week, so the fun is just getting started :)

Yeah this is pretty cool. Wasn't sure why there wasn't a thread on this already, even just for the countdown page...

You can use SteamOS to stream your games from your current PC to the computer in the 'TV Room', similar tech to nVidia's Shield? Where is uses the processing power of your main PC to render the game I assume.

Would be cool if the Movie and Video features will somehow work like XBMC etc. and we can load our own video onto it, rather that just relying on streaming services, means I won't need 2 PC in the living room. :p

I am guessing the next announcement will be Valve's own SteamBox, or a SteamController to use on your new SteamOS PC.

The last one the symbols look like something connected, multiplayer something? Other people are thinking new Source Engine... Wish it was Half Life 3...

Exciting...

Edited by millen

I want one box for gaming and media, so want to know if I'll be able to run other Linux based software on SteamOS such as mediaportal/xbmc. If this can double as a gaming and media box then great but otherwise I think I'll still be stuck with Windows.

Also what about hardware compatibility? Linux is known for shity radeon support, but will SteamOS somehow be better?

Edited by discoInferno

I want one box for gaming and media, so want to know if I'll be able to run other Linux based software on SteamOS such as mediaportal/xbmc. If this can double as a gaming and media box then great but otherwise I think I'll still be stuck with Windows.

Also what about hardware compatibility? Linux is known for shity radeon support, but will SteamOS somehow be better?

Well, the more popular it becomes the more incentive AMD have to develop drivers for it.

It can only be a good thing in the long run IMHO.

-X

Exciting news.

I suppose expected considering the people they've been hiring. Though I don't think anyone saw it coming, just assumed all to do with the Linux version of steam client... little did we know, hehe.

The game streaming sounds awesome, i've tried it out before with a free trial from a different company and it works well.

Can't wait.

I'm just hopeful for a desktop friendly linux OS.

Having a major gaming company pick linux up and slap it around a bit could be very good for the user experience. I'll definately be downloading the image and firing up a VM when it's released. Beyond that, we'll see.

I wonder what the minimum requirements will be?

I have some pretty slow dual cores AMD's collecting dust which deserve a second life...

Seems interesting. And free from steam as well.

Hopefully this does well and is able to reach out to a wider audience of gamers

I have to say that it sounds interesting. However, I can nitpick at one big issue I have with this.

"Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014." This is the biggest problem as I highly doubt ANY big developer will want to develop 2 platforms (SteamOS and Windows plus the Mac if they are so inclined). Some people have said that porting DirectX games should be easy to do to OpenGL but I don't think people understand the scale in testing and making sure both versions are working as intended.

The streaming feature is clearly there to help bridge the gap. If you want to see this take off (and I do), then I would say that the best thing to do would be show support. I won't be wiping my main PC just yet, but my lan laptop will be running steamOS provided the VM seems good.

I have to say that it sounds interesting. However, I can nitpick at one big issue I have with this.

"Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014." This is the biggest problem as I highly doubt ANY big developer will want to develop 2 platforms (SteamOS and Windows plus the Mac if they are so inclined). Some people have said that porting DirectX games should be easy to do to OpenGL but I don't think people understand the scale in testing and making sure both versions are working as intended.

It really depends on the engine powering the game, crytek are trying to port the cryengine over to linux using OpenGL, and their trying their best to make sure everything "just works™'' with as close to zero porting effort required from game developers. Although from what ive read about the technical differences between dx10 and OpenGL a few years back, its not a trivial thing to do, back then, alot of dx10 didn't have a direct equivalent in OpenGL, but the most effects could be achieved combining shaders and some clever programming.

There seems to be a rumor over on the star citzen forums, that cris roberts is kinda interested in porting SC into OpenGL, and that they maybe testing a closed beta of the cryengine SDK with linux/OpenGL support, of course covered under a NDA, so may yet see a uncoming AAA title heading being able to run on SteamOS

the two quotes from CIG/CR:

The server side of CryEngine can run on Linux. Unfortunately the client side currently does not and is tied to DirectX.

We’ve been discussing OpenGL with them for Linux and Mac reasons and they have some other licenses that also want to do it, so it may happen in the near future.

and

I think that Linux and Mac owners will be happily surprised, when we can make an announcement we can’t just make yet.

The other thing to note is that I don't know of that many games that use DX10. I reckon most of the games I play are 9.0c.

I can run games with DX11, and I have run games that support dx11, but I run them all on dx9.0c as far as I am aware.

If you could get that ported, you'd get 80% of the bang for about 30% of the buck, I reckon.

I'm interested in it for the streaming. If I could build a cheap HTPC and use my gaming rig to stream games to the HTPC, then it makes more than sense than spending another 1k+ to get a HTPC that can play games as well.

The other thing to note is that I don't know of that many games that use DX10. I reckon most of the games I play are 9.0c.

I can run games with DX11, and I have run games that support dx11, but I run them all on dx9.0c as far as I am aware.

If you could get that ported, you'd get 80% of the bang for about 30% of the buck, I reckon.

check out the wiki article, you would be surprised on which titles run it

everything you can do in dx9.0c can also be done in OpenGL, its just a matter of converting the engine render/shaders to OpenGL

That's true but the problem then happens whenever you have to do QA on the product. A game could run fine on SteamOS could potentially have problems with Windows which will dent the majority of sales. And given how QA is THE most expensive area to invest money in, I'd doubt developers would want to test for two possibly different systems.

Steam Machines announced.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

I was pretty certain this would be the second announcement. I wouldn't expect many happy PC/Steam gamers to rush to put a SteamOS rig under the telly (SOME, but not mass adoption).. It makes much more business sense to position SteamOS to living room as Android is to Smartphones. Pair with lots of hardware partners and the market gets hit with a wide range of media-center/psuedo-console machines with a dedicated, customizable TV-OS. I think it's pretty smart actually.

That's true but the problem then happens whenever you have to do QA on the product. A game could run fine on SteamOS could potentially have problems with Windows which will dent the majority of sales. And given how QA is THE most expensive area to invest money in, I'd doubt developers would want to test for two possibly different systems.

Right, but the question is this: can steamOS become the new default gaming OS?

Because if it can, that doesn't matter. It means people will developer for steamOS and windows how they currently develop for windows and mac.

I think it has a chance. Windows is slow, bloated and full of security holes. It's not that great a sell to say to gamers "install steam OS and you'll see a 15% increase in average performance". That's an arbitrary number, but anything in that ballpark would gain wide acceptance. It's not often you get offered a 15% performance increase for free.

Pitching itself as the lean OS for serious gamers could be enough to push gamers onto it. That means indie games will quickly follow, and a few years after that, AAA titles.

So what's the last reveal going to be?

() = Steam OS

[() ] = SteamOS in a box, ie. Steam Machine

() + () = two SteamOSs? :/

Source Engine 2? Using Half Life 3 to demonstrate it? if only...

I would guess they'll continue with the theme and have either a controller or some sort of AV gear as the third reveal.

Actually, that doesn't really fit the pictures does it, maybe some sort if network streaming stuff?

Edited by GoFaster

actually based on the symbol I wonder if the third announcement is a dedicated online multiplayer service... xbl-like for steamOS. probably with a subscription model.