Sign in to follow this  
deuce_23

New TV purchase

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a TV probably lcd. I dont use 3d so mainly a high quality 1900x1080. i would like a high refresh rate. About a 50 inch maybe 55 inch. What would you recommend?

Is there anything new coming out soon?

which brand is preferred?

Expensive:

The best brand is SHARP. True yellow pixels.

2nd best is Sony, they're rebadged Sharps, with the yellow pixel (quattro) disabled.

Cheap:

Hisense is pretty nice overall

LG is more expensive, but still cheaper than the main brands, can be hit and miss

Schaub Lorenz is a European brand, with an emphasis on True Colour, and its VERY obvious when its next to a Jap TV; but you pay the premium for them.

Ive had an ACER TV for 7 years now, still going strong.

Avoid Samsung; their quality has been going VERY sub par for the last 24 months or so. the returns\repair numbers are ludicrous.

I haven't purchased any recent TVs, but in the past, Samsung has always been good and reliable.

In fact, one of the older TV in my house (46inch Full HD Series 4 LCD) is still going strong, even after 5-6 years of daily usage

Edited by 8vm

in the past, Samsung has always been good and reliable.

True statement. 'in the past'

That's a shame MS. I LOVE my 2 year old 40" Samsung LED. I was going to recommend them as my mum got a 55" Samsung about a year ago and it looks fantastic.

my parents did too, but a 65"

Basically, ever since samsung went 'smart' there has been issues. some major, some very minor.

But IMO, having to 'reboot my TV' is something I dont expect.

Ive had better luck with my mates Kogan smart TV than I ever did with samsungs.

Though ive not tired their quad core

in the past, Samsung has always been good and reliable.

True statement. 'in the past'

That's a shame MS. I LOVE my 2 year old 40" Samsung LED. I was going to recommend them as my mum got a 55" Samsung about a year ago and it looks fantastic.

my parents did too, but a 65"

Basically, ever since samsung went 'smart' there has been issues. some major, some very minor.

But IMO, having to 'reboot my TV' is something I dont expect.

Ive had better luck with my mates Kogan smart TV than I ever did with samsungs.

Though ive not tired their quad core

Interesting. I thought my next TV purchase was going to be easy. I guess not.

I bought a Sony over Samsung last year because of word that Samsung were using cheaper parts (capacitors or something) and lots of complaints of repairs being needed.

I have a Samsung LED 3D TV in 46 inch and I am very happy with it. Cost me $1400. I bought it as a factory second over a year ago and have not had any issues with it at all.

I had an older Samsung 46 inch LCD (by older I mean its 2-3 years old) which was great as well and still going strong (sold it to my brother who still has it).

I have had no issues with either Samsungs and I would go out an buy another any day.

Samsung actually use to make Sony TV's (at least that is what I was told by a Sony Rep about 2 years ago). The main difference I was told between Samsung and Sony is the Software they use for colour definition but apart from that they are almost identical in their base components.

Apparently now Sharp make the Sony TV as MS said which I had no idea about.

Edited by Ishta2000

I have a Samsung LED 3D TV in 46 inch and I am very happy with it. Cost me $1400. I bought it as a factory second over a year ago and have not had any issues with it at all.

I had an older Samsung 46 inch LCD (by older I mean its 2-3 years old) which was great as well and still going strong (sold it to my brother who still has it).

I have had no issues with either Samsungs and I would go out an buy another any day.

Samsung actually use to make Sony TV's (at least that is what I was told by a Sony Rep about 2 years ago). The main difference I was told between Samsung and Sony is the Software they use for colour definition but apart from that they are almost identical in their base components.

Apparently now Sharp make the Sony TV as MS said which I had no idea about.

EDIT: I missed your last sentence.... so you're not wrong... but i'm still leaving my post, because i love to use that clip :P

Sony's are SHARP panels with QUATTRO yellow pixel disabled; at least their high end range is.

Ever notice the high end Sony's still claim 'Made in japan' lets see.... who's the ONLY supplier who still makes TV's in japan. SHARP :D

Also, had a rep from sharp and sony agree.

Though to be far, it only take one dude deciding otherwise for this to change doesn't it? Its just one factory vs another.... If Mr Sony says 'move to mexico' guess where they go.

Edited by Master_Scythe