Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
atosniper

Device for Old Man?

I'm after a device for my wife's grandfather. He is 65 and basically has zero idea about computers and using them. My wife's going to teach him a bit but he's still gonna need something simple. Basic functions including Internet access, and as cheap as possible too. I was thinking Microsoft RT Surface, looks quite simple, has all the basics, and is cheap. Anyone agree or got another idea?

Cheers

Edited by atosniper

I'd really need to know more about his needs before giving a solid recommendation.

How important is portability?

What, specifically, are his needs?

- Does he need Internet access?

- Does he need office productivity beyond Google Docs / Office Web?

- Does he need e-mail?

- Does he need PC-like capabilities?

I'm thinking that there are three main recommendations, depending on his particular needs:

(1) Nexus 7 2013 / iPad Mini. If his eyesight is still good and portability is important, but he doesn't need much more than a portal to online stuff, and take-anywhere portability is important it's hard to go past this one.

(2) Surface RT (or Surface 2 if there's no rush). If he wants to ease himself into using a modern PC, he pretty much can't stuff this machine up if he makes a mistake. He can learn what it means to "save it onto a USB stick" or "upload the photos from your camera" in a very PC-like context.

(3) Zenbook - ASUS' ultrabooks are excellent little machines, and can easily conform to any notions of what a PC "should" be that he may have picked up. Still very portable, and naturally quite capable. An i3 should be fine for basic use, and a 2012 model should be quite cheap if you can find one!