bowlen

Windows 8.1

Microsoft will be releasing Windows 8.1 as a free upgrade (for Windows 8 machines) on October 17th (US (so 18th here in Aus)).

I have had a play around with the RTM and it is pretty good! I don't mind it!

They removed the WBAdmin GUI to setup backup's which is pretty annoying.

Also the "forced" skydrive integration is a pain...

They have missed the mark again but it is a lot closer which may mean people may actually want it now..

Haven't played around with it more than installing it and saying "yeah, its not bad". I like the whole "This PC" idea, instead of having Computer and Library seperate.

I've been running the RTM for bout a month and i feel it's a better more refined Windows 8. Definately worth the update.

What i DO like:

1. The Start Screen is more refined

2. Start button has a handy right click menu with shutdown, restart and other stuff.

Otherwise not that much different.

What i DON'T like:

1. MS pushing a Microsoft Account Login

2. Cannot use Skydrive unless you are logged with a Microsoft Account. I refuse to use an MS account so i've switched to Box.com

Regarding the Microsoft Account being linked with the User Account, I wonder what they intended for those people who use it as a shared computer without individual login's. I have Windows 8 under my living room TV, it is for anyone to use, no password as I want anyone to use it including visitors. What I don't want though is a friend trying to login with their Microsoft Account and linking it to the User account. Is there a way to disable it?

My wife regularly yells to me in frustration to help her with Windows 8, things she does with ease on Windows 7 and earlier drive her crazy with this one. I'm hoping that 8.1 helps a little there.

Regarding the Microsoft Account being linked with the User Account, I wonder what they intended for those people who use it as a shared computer without individual login's. I have Windows 8 under my living room TV, it is for anyone to use, no password as I want anyone to use it including visitors. What I don't want though is a friend trying to login with their Microsoft Account and linking it to the User account. Is there a way to disable it?

My wife regularly yells to me in frustration to help her with Windows 8, things she does with ease on Windows 7 and earlier drive her crazy with this one. I'm hoping that 8.1 helps a little there.

If i was you i would do the following

Create two accounts:

*1 Admin account with a password

*1 Standard user without a password

That way you can use the standard user all the time and just let UAC prompt you for a password whenever you want to change anything system related (like adding accounts)

Are they officially billing 8.1 as SP1?

no

Although not officially SP1, it basically is a Service Pack isn't it. We won't be seeing Windows 8 SP1, it will be 8.1 (8.2 perhaps)

I've been using Preview on my Surface for ages now and it's great. Still a few bugs which no doubt will be squashed by the final release, but overall some solid improvements. Looking forward to getting it on my desktop.

As for Skydrive requiring an MS account: well, duh. Do you have to log in to the PC with an MS account though? Surely you can use the Desktop SkyDrive client on a local account, and only log into your MS account through that client?

As for Skydrive requiring an MS account: well, duh. Do you have to log in to the PC with an MS account though? Surely you can use the Desktop SkyDrive client on a local account, and only log into your MS account through that client?

Yes, you have to log into Windows with an MS account, if you don't and you try to access Skydrive you are then asked to change your account type to an MS account. The Skydrive Desktop client won't install on Windows 8.1, you can't even download it from a Windows 8.1 PC, the page is hidden.

I wasn't complaining about having to have an MS account to use Skydrive. I just don't like being forced to log in with an MS account to be able to use it.

Edited by smakme7757

Yes, you have to log into Windows with an MS account, if you don't and you try to access Skydrive you are then asked to change your account type to an MS account. The Skydrive Desktop client won't install on Windows 8.1, you can't even download it from a Windows 8.1 PC, the page is hidden.

I wasn't complaining about having to have an MS account to use Skydrive. I just don't like being forced to log in with an MS account to be able to use it.

Nope, you DON'T need to log in using a Microsoft account to get into Windows. Only when you need to access any of the cloud services do you need a MS account.

Nope, you DON'T need to log in using a Microsoft account to get into Windows. Only when you need to access any of the cloud services do you need a MS account.

That's exactly what i wrote or at least what i meant.

Maybe i can restructure my first sentence:

"Yes, you have to log into Windows with an MS account if you want to access Skydrive"

Edited by smakme7757

It is going to start being released at 4am PDT which is GMT -7:00

Basically, after 12am for us given New Zealand has it 12am their time that Windows 8.1 is released.

Well, currently I'm getting it downloaded on the laptop now. Have to say that it's disappointing it's not released on Windows Update yet as I had to go through the Store to get it. Will let you guys know what happens now.

Well, currently I'm getting it downloaded on the laptop now. Have to say that it's disappointing it's not released on Windows Update yet as I had to go through the Store to get it. Will let you guys know what happens now.

I can't even see it through the store!?!?

Edited by bowlen

Okay, well I have sorted it out and am downloading 8.1 now.

I was originally running Windows 8 Enterprise (using a license from work), and I have actually managed to successfully downgrade to Windows 8 Professional! The update popped up, and I am downloading now.

It's the first thing I see when I open the store . weird.

Well, finished and it feels no different from Windows 8. However, it seems that they've uninstalled any programs that aren't compatible which was why my anti-virus was missing. All in all, a relatively painless experience. Just need to see how my Surface updates...

Just installed 8.1.

Netgear wifi drivers needed to be reinstalled (lucky I had another pc to download the latest ones from). Avast was uninstalled so getting the new one now.

Start button feels pointless. I think they missed the point of why people wanted it back. People want the old school start menu, not just a button to take them to the metro screen :P

Oh, and I think it created a windows.old folder with 9GB in it, yet I'm pretty sure I have more disk space now?!?

Edited by justo316